Texture Editing Question

Campaigner

Very simple question, but how do I edit textures? I have all manner of professional-level image editing software due to my college requirements such as the entire Adobe Creative Suite, but I can't figure out what I have to open for the texture files because there's no jpg, gif, png, or any other image formats in my folders. What file has the images for me to edit?

I already know the texture will look like a square with strange shapes and such, as I once attempted using Blender and used a pre-existing texture to add to a (horribly made) sword. I just can't remember what the file was.

Get gimp to edit textures, it's free. Also there is a number of useful plugins available including normal mapping plugins. I used to use Photoshop CS4 but my build uses 64bit and Nvidia texture tools only support 32bit op's so I tried gimp and never went back.

I find it strange though, you said you are taking image editing in college did they not teach that? (excuse my ignorance, i have never went to college so I do not know what they teach in that coarse, I am simply wondering what format they use if they do not use .dds)

edit- that link to the "how to become a modder" thread Floatsup posted is in fact a very good place to learn, that is actually the place where I learned to mod as well. I am not the best at texturing but if you ever need any modeling help, feel free to ask because I have a few different tutorials available.

Edited by pickinthebanjo

I have done graphical editing on and off for years, and the only place I have ever encountered dds is in modding games that use nif. Jpeg is most common, with probably png second, and gif for screenshots in online documentation where the 256 color limitation does not matter.

I am stuck with nifskope right now. I successfully edited a texture (simple recolor to start off), and I wanted to do it to the Euclid C Finder. I made a new screen for behind the glass thing, but when I go into Nifskope and click on the screen by zooming in past the glass, the image becomes horribly distorted when I try to edit the texture. What can I do to get the logo I made show properly in that part?

Otherwise, I think I have the hang of this now, playing in nifskope and whatnot.

Agh, now it won't show in the game. I saved the nif, gave the weapon the proper texture, and set it in a world environment to make sure it was the edit I made. When I open the game after saving the esp file, the weapon is still the same color as its original model. What'd I miss this time?

Scratch that, a quick google fixed it. Now, I have a new problem, shown in the attached file. I did as I was supposed to in Nifskope, making sure the UV map showed my custom image, but it isn't showing here for some reason. It looked just fine in Nifskope and the GECK, so what did I mess up this time?

Edited by Campaigner