Rigging a backpack model

Hey everyone,

I recently made a backpack model in GMax, and exported it as a .nif. I loaded it in nifskope, and a model of a backpack made by another modder [just trying to test out how to rig new armor and clothing addons]. In the other backpack, I deleted the model, leaving only the spine parts. Then I pasted in my backpack. Set texture path and shader flags, and saved. It looks great in the GECK, but when I put it in an NPC's inventory and do a preview, the backpack is above the character and the spine is twisted. The character is bent over 90 degrees and then rotated to the left. So I'm not sure what else to do. With no bones in the .nif, the backpack is off the side and rotated, and with them, it's above the character and the spine is deformed. Any ideas how to do this correctly? A tutorial would be greatly appreciated for Gmax and try to keep it simple, I'm only a beginner with this stuff. =/

Don't take bones from pre-existing models.. They won't work as they aren't in the right format. Import a fresh skeleton and parent that. When exporting, you might want to export the skeleton and it should take the backpack with it. You can get one by using a BSA extractor on the Meshes.bsa. Also, you need might need to weight the backpack so it bends properly = Rigging and all that.

Don't take bones from pre-existing models.. They won't work as they aren't in the right format. Import a fresh skeleton and parent that. When exporting, you might want to export the skeleton and it should take the backpack with it. You can get one by using a BSA extractor on the Meshes.bsa. Also, you need might need to weight the backpack so it bends properly = Rigging and all that.

Just tried that now. Same exact problem. Like I said, I'm extremely inexperienced with this, so I'm probably doing something wrong... I imported the skeleton, opened the hierarchy tab, hit Affect Pivot Only, used alt+a for the quick align tool, clicked the spine it's next to, and applied it. Exported the whole skeleton with it, loaded it in Nifskope, exported it, etc. Same problem. Anything step by step to do?

The model needs to be rigged to the skeleton. You cant rig in nifskope you need a 3d modeling program (blender/max/maya/ect..) to weight the backpacks vertices to specific bones so that the backpack deforms, when the bones in an animation deform. The mesh currently doesn't have any vertex weights so it has nothing to attach to in nifskope..and will not work. Edited by ecksile

Hi!

Yea the nitristips block contains a bsdismembermentskininstance that contains a list of all the vertices and the bone influences on them. So it is not compatible with a different geometry data. If yo used max for modeling you can still use blender for skinning it tho. I heard that max focuses on envelope skinning and you would need to convert it to vertex groups for the game so it might be more confusing and hard.

How about using blender and then what u can do is import the skeleton.nif and the geometry for your backpac k. Then make a cube and make it like a box about the same size as the backpack. then you can subdivide it 2 or 3 times. add 5 vertex groups for this box. bip01 pelvis, bip01 spine, bip01 spine1, bip01 spine2 and BP_TORSO.

in weightpaint mode you can use mix brush to paint the box to move with the skeleton in a way that makes sense, maybe like for the bottom 4 verts u have it 25% pelvis and 75% spine1 or 50 50 and just paint the 16 to 20 vertices in a way that makes sense, you can pose the skeleton in pose mode and see if it is deforming like you think the backpack should. Dont forget to paint it 100% for the BP_TORSO one tho. then subdivide the box a bunch more once you have the weights right and blender will create a smooth gradient for each new vertex.

Now you can use the bone weight copy script to transfer these weights to your backpack.