Introduction, Hello

Ramura

Hello to all the gamers! I've been playing FPS for quite some time and needed a change. Got to looking around on the internet and saw a post over at Hongfire that got me interested in Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion and thought I would give it a try. I don't say much and just do my thing. Right now just reading and learning about the game and am getting interested in some of the mods. Any advice would be welcome. Regards.

Welcome to Nexus. We need to know what you're looking for before we can recommand you any mods! :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard. You will probably like it here a lot. No pressure to participate unless you want to. As Push has already said, if you give us an idea of your gaming style, lots of people can probably recommend all kinds of mods for you. Oblivion is loaded with them. Everything from armor and weapons to creatures or companions, whole new villages, and new quests. You name it and you can probably find it. Lots of friendly gamers and staff here ready to help out too.

Hello Ramura!

Welcome to the Nexus.

I recomend focusing 1st on GUI changes and the Unofficial Oblivion patch,

then minor improvements to game play and texture replacers this should get you stared.

Everything else depends on what you like.

Have a good time here and if there is a problem with a mod we are very helpful community.

@Pushkatu, grannywils, silverDNA and all,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, it's great receiving help when one is learning the ropes. From doing a little reading and your input the unoffical patch would be a good start, the search feature on this site will start to heat from my looking. How does the unoffical patch differ from the offical patch from Bethesda Softhworks? Next how about OBSE and a mod manager OBMM?. What are your opinions on OBSE and OBMM?

As for gaming style, Hmmm, I used to use a sniper rifle in UT99 playing online. That was a lot of fun for a long time.

Is there a mod for a gun? Old habits are hard to break lol.

Mods for companions sound good to me, being a male you could guess that nice looking females or girlfriends would be great. Oh I read where Elys silent voice would help to actually read dialogue. What about texture recomendations? Don't want to forget about that. That should keep me busy for a while getting all that set up. But don't stop giving me your suggestions.

Thank you again!

Thank you again!

@Pushkatu, grannywils, silverDNA and all,

You welcome, we all have been in your situation and it does help when other people give you a helping hand.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, it's great receiving help when one is learning the ropes. From doing a little reading and your input the unoffical patch would be a good start, the search feature on this site will start to heat from my looking. How does the unoffical patch differ from the offical patch from Bethesda Softhworks? Next how about OBSE and a mod manager OBMM?. What are your opinions on OBSE and OBMM?

The unofficial patches fix ingame bugs that where not fixed by the latest Oblivion patch(make sure you have that installed to). The game is still playable even without the use of these unofficial patches, but these are always welcomed since they do fix some annoying bugs.

Quoted from UOP description:

fixing over 1,800 bugs so far

So, yeat, that's a huge number. Not all the fixes are visible, but some are.

OBSE is a great utility that takes scripting to a hole new level in this game. Thanks to OBSE modders can add a lot more features in their mods. See Deadly Reflex mod, as it's one of the best examples. It's easy to use, but you need to read it's documentation properly.

OBMM is another great utility, that helps people to install mods easily, but again, read it's readme and make sure you know what you're doing before using it. I don't use it, since I like to install my mods manualy.

I recommend you give Wrye Bash a try. It's more complex, but it's your friend in times of need. I mean, I cannot imagine playing Oblivion with all these mods without it. It helps you to organize your load order and it detects conflicts between mods plus a lot more features. It's important to know what you're doing so read the intructions carefuly.

Another utility created by our talented modders is BOSS(Better Oblivion Sorting Software) .

A quote from the file description:

Better Oblivion Sorting Software (BOSS) will reorder your mods to their correct positions (as listed in the masterlist.txt database file), putting any mods it doesn't recognise after them, in the same order as they were before BOSS was run.

BOSS is designed to assist in the installation and usage of mods, especially more complex mods such as FCOM and MMM, and help mod users avoid serious conflicts. It is not a complete solution to load ordering issues, as there are far more mods out there (estimated at about 30,000) than BOSS knows about. To properly place mods BOSS doesn't know about, a good working knowledge of Oblivion mod load ordering is still necessary, for which some research and documentation reading will go a long way.

This is a must have for me and if you plan to use a lot of mods, it will be for you to.

Mods for companions sound good to me, being a male you could guess that nice looking females or girlfriends would be great. Oh I read where Elys silent voice would help to actually read dialogue. What about texture recomendations? Don't want to forget about that. That should keep me busy for a while getting all that set up. But don't stop giving me your suggestions.

Well, there are many good companion mods out there and I don't know exacly what kind of mods do you like. If you like spicy stuff or stuff that sticks more to Oblivion lore etc.

I will only recommend you one good mod wich I know of. It's Companion Vilja mod

It's one of the best in my opinion, but feel free to check the Companions categories in search for something that will suit your tastes better.

As for gaming style, Hmmm, I used to use a sniper rifle in UT99 playing online. That was a lot of fun for a long time.

Is there a mod for a gun? Old habits are hard to break lol.

Haha....how about a bow and a few arrows? :P There are a couple weapon mods for Oblivion. Perform a search for AK-47 or ak47 or "guns" and I'm sure that you will find some.

If you want to have a better experience with fights, then try Deadly Reflex

It will rock your world. :pinch:

Also feel free to check my list of Oblivion mods. You might find a few there to.

I hope this will help you a little.:thumbsup:

Cheers and beers,

Pushkatu