Mods risen from their graves

An unusually moronic noob has learned the hard way how he shouldn't delete stuff hastilly, and mess around with mods until he's read the readmes. Now he's looking for a way to redeem himself, and make that which haunts him stay dead. What's happening is that old mods affect my game after uninstalling + deleting data.

When my Oblivion would no longer work without crashing or representing certain items with a giant colored box, I decided it was time to clean up the mess I'd made by not setting Wrye Bash up properly and deleting a few mods that I think (in retrospect) needed to be uninstalled in a different way. (But that's too late now!)

So I uninstalled Oblivion through the launcher in the install directory. After that, I simply deleted the Oblivion directory that was left behind (with Data and Mod Manager and a dysfunctional Wrye Bash). However, even though I didn't want to backup my saves (had no important saves), I forgot to delete the (my user name)/My Documents/My Games/Oblivion dir.

After that I remembered that I should probably go to Control Panels and look at programs installed. I "uninstalled" some mods there (Francesco's, FCOM, and such) and Mod Manager and Wrye Bash to be sure there'd be no problems. I have the setup exes and zips on my comp so I don't have to download them again. I should probably have uninstalled them before I deleted them, so I was still on my error-streak then.

I reinstalled, and when I started a game, it soon displayed an eerie game message saying "Prices set", which derived from the Living Economy mod, which I thought should have stopped living since I had deleted the data folder. Furthermore, many container meshes were missing in the game. I was flabberghasted.

Now after the same procedure of uninstallation and deletion, though this time I deleted the My Games/Oblivion directory and uninstalled via Control Panel, then reinstalling, my oblivion launcher still displays all the old plugins that I'd have thought would be long gone by now.

I can tell I'm doing it wrong *Constant facepalm 100 on self*. What is the easiest way for me to get rid of it all and be back to vanilla?

I am asking because I can't find anyone with a problem that exactly matches mine, and I want to feel fairly certain that the sollution I pick will work in first try to save myself from too much additional trouble.

To clarify, I have no mods properly installed at this point, and I have no idea what parts are still on my computer that can somehow affect a reinstalled Oblivion where all data and saves have been recycled several times. I want to get back to playing it without traces of mods once installed.

I hope this bewilderment goes in this forum. Ask for any additional info.

It works =D

Thanks a ton, and thanks to Bben46!

I gotta be extra careful in the future with handling mods. Even if they have a good reputation doesn't mean they're idiot-proof. I still don't get what was going on, except it should probably be allright if I just use the mods according to their documentation, and test one at a time as the other article Bben46 links to says. Solved!

Edited by HuggetSukker