Tamriel Complete

BadPrenup

Hello all. I would like to formally extend the hand to anyone and everyone who will be playing or modding Skyrim to join us in the creation of all of Tamriel. Our goal is to build all of Tamriel into TESV: Skyrim. This has been attempted before on older games, but never (to my knowledge) has anyone started to put together a team for this beforehand. We are still shorthanded and there is several months before we can even begin to do actual work on this. But if we know anything about game development, concepts are being made months before they start building anything. So if we start now, we have a good jump on this. Our basic Manifesto:

Our Goal: Total lore-friendly recreation of all of Tamriel.

Detailed Goal: We are attempting to build all of Tamriel in the engine of Skyrim. It will all be in the same time period as the events of Skyrim (4th era), and will adhere to any lore officially set by Bethesda. We will be starting on Solstheim, as it is small enough to get an idea of technical and creative challenges, close enough where we can use many of Skyrim's assets on it, and discussed enough in official lore that we have an idea of what is going on there. From there we plan to move south and expand, as we will hopefully have a lot of members by the time re get that far.

Currently Seeking: Anyone. If you have modding experience, passion for TES, or are just a dreamer, we can use your talents.

Site: http://z15.invisionfree.com/Tamriel_Complete

Feel free to join up and help us figure some of this stuff out. We want a good idea of where to go and how to go at it before we get the tools to do it.

It sounds amazing, though I wonder, will that be possible for the average computer to handle? Skyrim is already going to be a RAM eater as it is. I don't have experience with programming or any of that, but it seems pretty much impossible to actually run. But there could be a way, like I said, I don't know all the tricks of programming. I could at least see if there was a way to sort of "shut off" the other provinces when they aren't being used. I wouldn't be of much help, but every once in awhile I could join discussion on lore or province design. :) It sounds fun and would give my lazy self something to do on the week days.

my major is to become a computer programmer, scripter. but i don't have any knowledge of that yet. what i can offer is new ideas, quest themes based off lore, etc. I could offer some new ideas on the table.

It sounds amazing, though I wonder, will that be possible for the average computer to handle? Skyrim is already going to be a RAM eater as it is. I don't have experience with programming or any of that, but it seems pretty much impossible to actually run. But there could be a way, like I said, I don't know all the tricks of programming. I could at least see if there was a way to sort of "shut off" the other provinces when they aren't being used. I wouldn't be of much help, but every once in awhile I could join discussion on lore or province design. :) It sounds fun and would give my lazy self something to do on the week days.

to the part put in bold:

Bethesda actually did this in oblivion with the shivering isles from what I remember. This was a long time ago so take this with a grain of salt, but I remember using console commands to fast travel to Tamriel from SI and everyone's Dialog was shut off. "I HAVE NO GREETING" was the only thing anyone would say. Works the same way if you try it the other way around. Also, I vaguely remember that their AI was shut off. You could walk right up to enemies like the Heretics and talk to them, only to get the "I HAVE NO GREETING" thing, but I'm not sure about that last bit. Basically, if you didn't use the portal to go to and from realms proper, you'd be in a world with no AI.

Sadly I cannot help modding wise. The only help I can offer is this advice: If you're gonna shut off one province when in another, make sure you make them different world cells ala the Shivering Isles. Assuming you can shut off AI like that with the new engine.

EDIT: Calliton's on the right track. There's also a mod called "the underdark" here: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=23153 That does that. We'll just have to wait until the game comes out to find out if it's possible to do that.

Edited by Zenchii

Well the way that Oblivion (And Morrowind and Fallout for that matter) kept your computer from exploding under the sheer awesomeness is that when you are out in the wilderness, The game engine will only load your cell and a few of the cells surrounding it, plus the LOD. I'm assuming Skyrim will be the same way which means the technical limitation will be no more than what is already there, even if we put all the land in the same worldspace as the continent of Skyrim. The only thing that will be different is it will take more HDD space.

I would love to join this project as a Level Designer and/or Quest Designer.

We could also incorporate this to Tamriel Rebuilt, as it's basically the same, just for a new engine.

someone told me what's the point? we can't bring anything in this from oblivion or the older games. that it's copy righted... so how is this going to work? all fresh stop from skyrim or created?

I'm not trying to burst anyones bubble here. But I'm 99% sure that Bethesda have said that most of their objects have been hand placed, this means there may be no region editor in the skyrim creation kit.

And that means you will have to hand place every single rock, tree, bush and every other object in Tamriel, (and that would take a very long time).