Help!

xpanpanx

Thank you all so much. Almost everything works fine now, I downloaded TES4Gecko which helped me convert plug-ins to master files and finally my companion mod works! One last hurdle to overcome... whenever my mod is activated, the Imperial City Market District has literally disappeared :/ all the NPC's are still there, as are the doors, but the buildings have vanished? When the companion mod is disabled, the market district is fine though lol... I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me solve this last little problem. Edited by xpanpanx

I ran into the same problem before when trying to make my own companion mod. For me, the reason was because I made my mod into a master file (.esm). Apparently the game gets all weird like that if you add anything to a cell in your mod, and then make the mod a master file. It worked fine when I changed it to an esp.

Strange... that makes sense, but my companion mod isn't an esm file? Just a normal plug-in. When I first started out to make it, I was told I had to turn the mods I was going to use in my mod to master files, now it's finished, am I meant to turn them back to plain plug-ins?

Strange... that makes sense, but my companion mod isn't an esm file? Just a normal plug-in. When I first started out to make it, I was told I had to turn the mods I was going to use in my mod to master files, now it's finished, am I meant to turn them back to plain plug-ins?

If you've made something like the Tabaxi race, for example, into a master file that your companion .esp file is dependent upon, if that Tabaxi .esm is not present when you try to play the game it will crash at start-up.

A way to avoid that would be to in the beginning merge the assets you wanted to use directly into your plug-in. If you try to do that now, however, you're likely to end up with duplicate editor IDs for everything you've used and, depending upon how you go about it, the Construction Set might give you a slew of warnings or even crash too. If you're really interested in changing that though, I strongly recommend that you make use of the TES4Gecko utility.

I see where you're coming from - but all the files I used for the companion mod are present when I load Oblivion?... I shall have a look at merging files utility, as TES4Gecko has indeed helped me a great deal before, perhaps it can help me once again! But would merging the files I need affect any other things?

Maybe you do not have the same problem that I did. What you've been told is correct; you're supposed to change any custom race .esp files you're using into .esm files in order for your companion to load correctly. But my problem is that I also changed my companion .esp into .esm too, which is where the problem came from.

If that isn't your problem, then you should try what Herculine said about merging your files.

...just load up the required files (both the esms and esps) in the construction set, make the companion, save it, then open Wrye Bash, right click the mod, and use the 'Add Master...' command to add the esp files as masters.

Alternatively, you can just use the construction set extender, which will save the loaded esps as masters automatically.

The construction set by itself will only save loaded esm files as masters. Converting esp files to esm files to get around this is a very bad idea.

Edited by whalecakes