Sunset Sarsaparilla's Wild Wild West World

devinpatterson

Devin,

I just noticed your earlier post regarding the Solar Array. I'd rather not move the location, for several reasons. I want to limit the collateral to the area, so I picked a spot that was relatively barren. I also wanted the array to be adjacent to the main road to Jacobstown, so that limited my potential sites. And third, I'm lazy :tongue:

Still, I agree that the site shouldn't be an entrance to the park. My whole tirade about the sewer level was my failed attempt at a solution: I was proposing that there be one sewer exit inside the park, but two sewer exits outside the park. The solar array and puddle would lead to the same place inside the park- the solar array would join the main tunnel Kagstrom made- but the SA tunnel would bypass te earlier sewer levels, which would intentionally be more hazardous; hence the "slow and steady" versus "quick and dirty" monikers. My suggestions for this were:

1. turrets- the solar array tunnel would give access to a terminal that controls turrets around a corner, so to speak- if the player started at the puddle, they wouldn't be able to get at the terminal before encountering the turrets

2. flooded levels- the puddle was caused by a broken tunnel, right? Why not have the earlier stages partially flooded?

3 Creatures- could be mirelurks (or whatever they're called in NV) or anything else, these would be in the earlier stages, i.e. not encountered if you enter through the SA

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm confused. I understand the principles behind UV mapping, but I've never worked with actual textures in-game; I've created greyscale height maps for Medieval 2, as well as some basic image work (like the stuff I did above) but no game textures. So, what are you suggesting? I know where all the files are; I created "new" variants of Pre-War money by duplicating the existing mesh and applying three separate textures, and I know how to add custom meshes/textures into the GECK; I couldn't find the flatbed truck texture in the BSA, so I opened the model in Nifscope.

I've already shut down my modding PC for the night, so I'm not able to do any more work today. I guess that I could look at the truck in GECK tomorrow, it should have the file path for the texture(s) in there.

Just answering your questions about where the textures are

Devin,

I just noticed your earlier post regarding the Solar Array. I'd rather not move the location, for several reasons. I want to limit the collateral to the area, so I picked a spot that was relatively barren. I also wanted the array to be adjacent to the main road to Jacobstown, so that limited my potential sites. And third, I'm lazy :tongue:

I understand you like the SA and want to include it. I want to support everyone having a their own creativity in the mod, but I think you also realize that having a 2nd entrance is essentially changing the bedrock of the plotline. ie only one way in, which is the explanation for the isolation. You could still do that by making the SA outside the park but inaccesible from the wasteland (ie removing the road, blocking up the access, and marking that cell as nofasttravel. So the service hatch in the park is the only way in). That would still provide the function you want it for without disrupting the story line.

Still, I agree that the site shouldn't be an entrance to the park. My whole tirade about the sewer level was my failed attempt at a solution: I was proposing that there be one sewer exit inside the park, but two sewer exits outside the park. The solar array and puddle would lead to the same place inside the park- the solar array would join the main tunnel Kagstrom made- but the SA tunnel would bypass te earlier sewer levels, which would intentionally be more hazardous; hence the "slow and steady" versus "quick and dirty" monikers. My suggestions for this were:

1. turrets- the solar array tunnel would give access to a terminal that controls turrets around a corner, so to speak- if the player started at the puddle, they wouldn't be able to get at the terminal before encountering the turrets

2. flooded levels- the puddle was caused by a broken tunnel, right? Why not have the earlier stages partially flooded?

3 Creatures- could be mirelurks (or whatever they're called in NV) or anything else, these would be in the earlier stages, i.e. not encountered if you enter through the SA

It would seem simpler to have it connect to a service hatch in the valley or to a maintainance tunnel (that joins the basement/sub-level), we have several options for entering the park and I don't see the advantage of having another way in if it doesn't add to the storyline and is simply a varient of going through the water runnoff system but at a different location.

Alright, then there won't be any connection b/w the arrays and the park. Still, I think it can be useful for a questline, perhaps the player is sent there to reroute the power or sabotage the grid?

Your more than welcome to include the SA, I'm just saying to board up any access from the wasteland side (ie that's why I mentioned the road & marked as nofasttravel) and make it accessible from the valley side. I'm sure it will be an excellent addition to our project.

Alright, then there won't be any connection b/w the arrays and the park. Still, I think it can be useful for a questline, perhaps the player is sent there to reroute the power or sabotage the grid?

Sure that would work too

Edited by devinpatterson

Ok i think this is "Log Flume Car" v1

(again rendered pic, no textures)

So what i did was took the "el diablo car" and made a simple overlay of a log (with proper internal and side wall cut outs to fit the "el diablo car" inside it).

(may need a small amout of tweaking to be proper v1) But you get the idea.

Edited by Flaarg

Ok i think this is "Log Flume Car" v1

[

(again rendered pic, no textures)

So what i did was took the "el diablo car" and made a simple overlay of a log (with proper internal and side wall cut outs to fit the "el diablo car" inside it).

(may need a small amout of tweaking to be proper v1) But you get the idea.

Looks really good Flaarg :thumbsup:

I think we may need you to model some stockade segments. Jacobstown uses a split log type fence which looks like crap. I thought about using the mormon fort fence, but it looks like it's too small to fit everything in we want, allthough the flagstone does give it a certain look.

So guys, what do we think would be the best kind of fence for a hollywood type western town?

I finished re-texturing the sentry bots http://newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=10826

and I'v started making some collectibles. These two pics show Sunset Sam (name is a work in progress) a small foot and half tall toy protectron (with flashing lasers), I think there will probably be a few to make a set. I thought it could be like a bobblehead thing where the player could collect them (but not for bonuses thought that was lame, maybe for caps and they would be worth more for a complete set). The toy moves a little slow, but could be good for testing trapped areas etc.

http://newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=10829

http://newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=10828

I was also thinking about some postcard collectibles.

So, what do you think of extending the train to the north & moving the village? THe log flume could go up there too, i.e. on the north side of the cliff face. Still, if you're going to have animal hunting in the north, then having the train up there would make it more seamless, and obviously make for a more scenic ride.

EDIT: I'm going to try my hand at texturing the truck, is there any other necessary texture work that would be reasonably simple for a N00b? I could use the practice, and I prefer to practice with something that we can use.

Edited by TrooperScooperMKII

So, what do you think of extending the train to the north & moving the village? THe log flume could go up there too, i.e. on the north side of the cliff face. Still, if you're going to have animal hunting in the north, then having the train up there would make it more seamless, and obviously make for a more scenic ride.

EDIT: I'm going to try my hand at texturing the truck, is there any other necessary texture work that would be reasonably simple for a N00b? I could use the practice, and I prefer to practice with something that we can use.

Sure we don't have any time invested in the valley yet, so moving things around isn't a problem (better now than later). Did you want to throw up a quick sketch showing the layout you had in mind?

If you do a truck, I'd try to use one that doesn't have a texture overly like truck08. That way you can match the colors without having to flip back and forth between gimp and nifskope. Actually almost anything would be easier to start on than the truck. Did you see the uv map on that one? It's just stupid, makes it really difficult to put a logo on :pinch:

I'v started using magic lasso with quick mask and can retexture stuff much faster than I could a week ago, so I'll be pumping out a bunch today (have the day off).

I think what would actually be a higher priority would be making the valley/canyon itself. Mostly carving out a fairly narrow canyon with a flat floor (at least where the park and parking lot are). If we got that done we could start on the idea below;

I was wondering what you guys think of making v1 a two (or even 3) part adventure. I thought we could release the water runnoff tunnel, valley, solar array, hunting grounds (optional) and the park itself in part 1. Part 2 would be the sublevel(s), mini-vault, tribals chosen one rescue/contact and mainframe battle. That way we could get out a teaser beta here in a few days.

We could use some of those log cabin placeholder buildings whip up some park interiors and be good to go.

What is everyone's opinion?

EDIT: I mis-spoke we have some of the basement/sub-level already done by kagstrom2100 and that will be included in part 1 of v1. But I'm suggesting we leave the rest of the lower levels for part 2. That way we have time to decide if;

The tribal's chosen one is active/in battle there, if there are any descendent's of park survivors, the storyline for bronco bill etc.

Edited by devinpatterson

Oh and I found a quick cheat that will allow us to put some electronics and frayed skin on the androids. It will basicly depend on using clothes that include the skin textures and altering them instead of the androids actual skin. It will limit us since we won't be able to put any damage on the faces and limite what they can be dressed in but hopefully there will be enough variety to use until we find a better solution. Edited by devinpatterson