Sunset Sarsaparilla's Wild Wild West World

devinpatterson

Dammit, I thought I sent this Friday, but found it sitting in one of my chrome tabs. Sorry for the late response

Hi, i've been reading this thread for some time and I'd like to help on the plot/storyline department.

Cool, we need all the help we can get

You've already talked about the creator of the park for a bit and I must say he should be an omnious presence in the mod, think of him as a head-strong texan type, a vissionary entrepreneur with an eccentric personality. His dream is to build a theme park based on his childhood passion: Cowboys! of course he's the biggest Sunset stock holder and as such much of the park's purpose is to increase the company's assets and marketing impact.

Yes this is very similar to how we see him too. I picture him as cross between Andrew Ryan (from bioshock) and Teddy Roosevelt. So not only does he have a childhood passion for the old west, he takes that interest above and beyond, hunting large dangerous game, military service on the front lines, cowboy shooting, riding etc and never shirks from a challenge. But he has a downside too, he always uses a heavy hand, subtlety isn't his strong point. I' thinking he probably made his fortune in domestic oil for a energy starved fallout world.

I believe It's also a good idea for him to be in some sort of takeover of the sunset company (Kenneth Aguilar the president of sunset corp is a dud) whether the beginning stages of a hostile buyout or a well into a friendly takeover. In other words far more control than a majority stake holder.

Whose brain is it?.....A powerful father, desperate to save his child; -also very passionate about the wild west

I was intrigued by this idea. At first I was worried since the original plot has Bronco Bill as no friend to the mainframe (it put him in a brainbot, took over his park etc). But I think there are ways it could work. For instance Bronco Bill recognizes his child can't continue to feed off of the tribals (the predation has to end), but just can't bring himself to do it. The result is he helps the player but clandestinely, walking a fine line, a delicate balance. This ends up being the same behavior we have for his plotline, but for a different reason. Instead of simple revenge, it's the tragedy of knowing his child must be stopped that motivates his aid for the pc. And instead of simply fear of the mainframe keeping his aid to the player a secret, it now involves the gut twisting fear of his child finding out Bill wants to kill him/her.

It also solves a weak point in teh storyline of the mainframe saving Bill in the brainbot. I had assumed it was because he has value (whether skills or knowledge) to the mainframe, but if it is his father than that makes for a much more reasonable explanation.

All in all it makes for much richer characters if it can be worked in.

But here is the main problem, as I see it. The mainframe is the villain of the story. Some effort has been made to throw a little fallout moral ambiguity in, but it is none the less the chief obstacle. He/she/it has complete control of the bots, the fear of the tribals, ghouls and everything else in the park. All quests, in one way or another lead to it.

So I am concerned about making the mainframe (MF for short) a character worthy of pity or empathizing with it's plight. My original thougt was a brain that had been created from many parts and "bleached" clean of memories. Thus resulting in a alien intellect that didn't see using human minds as any worse than we would eating a animal. It was cold and logical devoid of emotion or experience. But when other minds were "absorbed" it gained sensations, emotions, passions etc. It became a powerful overwhelming addiction to experience others thoughts, lives and dreams. The reason I asked whose brain it was is because some of the former thoughts/consciousness of it's origin might be used against it in a dialog speech check. So the brains history becomes important.

Do you have any thoughts on how we might be able to keep your story line (which is very good) but still retain the strong antagonist for the story? You touch on "the damage was already done" below and maybe that would be the key. It might allow us to keep the history, but due to the massive damage/trauma there is no longer anything recognizable as a child withing the MF. Resulting in the blank/bleached brain.

Or the organic CPU may have been taken out of active service (due to the damage/trauma) and be more fully controlled by the Zax components which only work in logic, but may be experiencing emotion/anger/passion etc by proxy through the organic cpu's (brains). Perhaps rescuing the part of his sons/daughters consciousness that is still left can be a story element. And if the child is just another captive personality among many others imprisoned, that would mean we are back to where we want to be with the MF being a predatory alien consciousness.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter.

One day however, He meets Robert Edwin House who in an act of "kindness".....

I think we will still have to go with General Atomic and Greenway, since they have the technology, but the storyline could be very similar none the less, just substitute greenway for house. Background greenway. You'll find that Greenway is an even better candidate than Mr. House for several reasons. He has access to the tech, he needs a volunteer(s), he is already affiliated with vault-tec and he has a much more empathetic nature than house. We've thrown about the idea of having vault-tec involved simply because this is a experiment that would tie in directly to their space travel/recolonization plans (and because deep down they'r as much the villains as the enclave with whom they allied).

the mind is fractured and twisted, slowly evolving into a state of dementia and delirium.

Sounds reasonable, it's probably the most complicated pre-war surgery ever done and it's on a already weakened/diseased organ.

......no one to use the attractions and there was no more satisfaction to ease his pain (both mental anguish and his withdrawal symptoms) this caused him to become a derranged and sadistical thing who let's tribals in once in a while to use the rides as to "play games" and slaughter them in the end.

Yes I can see where your going with that, but lets put it on the back burner until we hammer out the current nature of hte mainframe.

This year, however, the mainframe grows tired of the simple tribals that are no longer fun to toy with and he wants special guests, so it sents out invitations with promises of adventures and great old-world rewards across the mojave (maybe using tribals delivering flyers or something).

The courier decides to investigate but he's not the only one after the treasures of Sunset Sarsaparilla's Wild Wild West World, as several wanderes, raiders and prospectors answer to the invitation. Soon they'll realize they've been caught in a giant death trap and they'll have to battle eachother as well as dangers within the park for survival and the amazing riches it houses.

While an interesting idea I think part of what makes sunset unique is it's complete seperaton from the rest of the world. Only by being completely isolated could things have developed into such a twisted and broken state. Very, very few people (and non-people) have ever been in or out. And while the MF will be overjoyed to have the player, I think it's unlikely to advertise it's existence in any way shape or form. And I'd rather not go the survivor/prize route. Instead I want the prophecy to be the submerged story line.

Oh sure, It'd be awesome to help. I have to work all of this week but i still have plenty of time in between to join this project and see where it goes.

One question though how would we be establishing contact?

I like to have the conversations on this thread so anyone who wishes to can contribute. But I know sometimes because of the plot line or for other reasons a public forum may not be the best choice. So we can communicate through PM's. We also have a private board

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i finished the dlc, idk what u guys think but i thought it sucked :,( stupid obsidian, cmon a LINIER dlc WITHOUT a logical storyline? bah! btw im uploading the radiosongs to medifire along with all the locations i got them. i found this site called internet archive which is legal and everything its a great site if u wana get anymore songs, tho 57 should be enough

well i finished the dlc, idk what u guys think but i thought it sucked :,( stupid obsidian, cmon a LINIER dlc WITHOUT a logical storyline? bah! btw im uploading the radiosongs to medifire along with all the locations i got them. i found this site called internet archive which is legal and everything its a great site if u wana get anymore songs, tho 57 should be enough

I actually kind of liked it. I mean I didn't expect it to be a really in depth story to tie together the couriers history, so I wasn't disappointed in that regard. On the upside I enjoyed the environment, got a kick out of ED-E and I enjoyed the ending. On the downside I got pretty tired of the one shot kills on very hard, the crazy tough tunnelers (not so much they'r actual power, but the fact that these little guys were close to on par with a deathclaw is silly), wasn't impressed with the marked men and had a hell of a time getting the mod to start (actually posted how I did it on bethesda dlc forum so other people could play. But on the whole I enjoyed it. Now just waiting for Rage.

Good deal on the songs. I'v been working on the protectrons. Besides single models, everything i make I'm trying to export separately. So for example I'll make a model with the ranger pants. Once I get it fitted I'll export the protectron wearing the pants but also export the pants only, separately. This way we essentially have a tool kit that can be combined from various pieces (hat, pants, weapons, shoes, accesories etc) to make a huge variety of different protectrons. I havn't started the shirts/vests yet, and I may not be able to alter the models enough to fit the protectrons. They'r chest is huge, they have no neck and they're arms are way outside human proportions. So I may just retexure the torso for shirts and use that until my fledgling skills improve.

I'm still looking for ideas for the showcase. I have a few already that involve the ones I'v mentioned previously and I thought of another one that would be interesting visually; A dark reactor interior level with giant (man sized and bigger) glowing mushrooms.

And I'd like to lock down the storyline for the prequel, since the assets from dead money means the prequel could be out relatively soon. In that similar vein I'd love to have some people to work on re-textures of the villa, some voice actor(s) with a Hispanic accent and someone to advise on Hispanic culture/traditions. I believe Trooper can help in that regard, but the more the merrier. I'll try to find the time to put up a job list soon.

And I'd like to lock down the storyline for the prequel, since the assets from dead money means the prequel could be out relatively soon. In that similar vein I'd love to have some people to work on re-textures of the villa, some voice actor(s) with a Hispanic accent and someone to advise on Hispanic culture/traditions. I believe Trooper can help in that regard, but the more the merrier. I'll try to find the time to put up a job list soon.

Yo sabo un poquito. :)

I've never been to Spain/Latin America, so an on-the-ground perspective would be invaluable. So as always, the more the merrier.

I've never been to Spain/Latin America, so an on-the-ground perspective would be invaluable. So as always, the more the merrier.

FYI, "yo sabo" doesn't mean "I know".

It's "yo se".

It's a weird one. Common mistake for us gringos.

It's "yo se".

I think there are probably quite a few pitfalls in re: to Hispanic culture/tradition/language. Perhaps (at least for the prequel) it might be better to 86 the Hispanic flavor, and save it for the Spanish mission, possibly adding it for the villa in ver 1.x.

It's "yo se".

:whistling:

Mi Maestra dice "Nacho! Sabo es incorrecto!"

El burro sabe mas que mi. :tongue:

Tambien, yo comprendo el preterito un poquito. Comienso a estudiar en la semana pasada. No se mucho.

...I think I got that. The accents are a pain in computers, but...

I'v had the weekend off and in between the typical B.S. I'v been working an adaption of Gorow333's Monster Costumes to a Protectron MKII (good name as any I guess). This has a modified human skeleton so it can use all the npc animations. That opens a wide variety, from simple idle animations to dance (OK probably not gonna be a lot of dancing) to tons of weapons (anything a npc can use/fire/throw it can). While this gives us a LOT more freedom with the Mark II's (equal to the androids) there are some problems to be ironed out;

1. All the attire has to be made (the skeleton is significantly different the protectron ver, so the stuff already made for the old protectrons won't work). I thought I'd be able to just slap on junk like with an npc, but the skeleton differs somewhat from a humans. 2. Gorow333 did a great job, but there is still heavy deformation of the forearms. Hopefully a real modeler or I can fix/minimize that. 3. They gib and we really don't want chunks of meat flying out of our bots. That may be a real problem as some of the research I'v done seems to imply that's hard coded into the npc skeleton??? Of course selecting protectronbodypart data, impact material type metal ect didn't make a bit of difference. 4. Their movement is not robotic. I'm hoping by including the protectron sounds, making them just walk (no runnig), reducing speed and other tweaks we can give a better impression of their mechanical nature.

The basic concept from a lore point of view is that House Industries is developing a more humanoid protectron for the home market, that will fill the same civilian market niche as mr handy, without any partnership with Gen Atomic. Being more human like than the mark I, the mark II can use typical human tools, wear human attire for specific job functions (butler, greeter etc) etc.

Military models, while not significantly more robust than the Mark I, have the advantage of using any weapon, riding in troop transport, possibly even using power armor. This gives them more flexibility than the mark I's with a nominal increase in price.

Production was started shortly before the war began. So the models are not as common as the Mark I's in new vegas and virtually unheard of in other areas of the US. A Robco factory will be included in v1.x on the northwest outskirts of freeside/strip and it will have a few models and posters/advertisements to help with continuity. There will also be a cowboy and a indian protectron model in storage or shipping containers, as well as invoices and email in ref to SSWWW to tie together the SSWWW story line.

Here is the video, Ignore the problem with the hats, that's been ironed out. I just didn't want to spend another half hour uploading a new video. Notice they use all the typical npc animations with their 44mags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGn_ht6Cark

And here is a closeup of a protectron MKII begining the reload sequence.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/319/protectronmkii1small.jpg