Sunset Sarsaparilla's Wild Wild West World

devinpatterson

Cool, it was just an idea that I had is all :)

Since the owner of the park was a weapon collector and everyone pre-war was rather paranoid, I figured he'd have something truly insane as personal protection, a .50cal revolver seems about right. I can make the body in blender, though it might need scaling up since I don't have a reference, but it will be to scale within itself. I can't however make the hammer and drum, though I can give you the image I'm working from. More than happy to do the work if you'd like a peek at it :)

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, it was just an idea that I had is all :)

Since the owner of the park was a weapon collector and everyone pre-war was rather paranoid, I figured he'd have something truly insane as personal protection, a .50cal revolver seems about right. I can make the body in blender, though it might need scaling up since I don't have a reference, but it will be to scale within itself. I can't however make the hammer and drum, though I can give you the image I'm working from. More than happy to do the work if you'd like a peek at it :)

:biggrin: Looks like something Magnum Research BFR would make.

I'd just use the hunting revolver as a base model with the barrel cut down, and extrude the cylinder so it fits the .50 BMG. Then youI could edit the cylinder to put in 3 holes and speedloader meshes to include 3 BMG's. I think that might save you some time.

Either way it'd be cool to include if you have the time. EDIT: plus you wouldn't have to UV map it or anything.

Something so small with .50 BMG almost makes me think 10 str *and* weapon handling.....

Edited by devinpatterson

:biggrin: Looks like something Magnum Research BFR would make.

I'd just use the hunting revolver as a base model with the barrel cut down, and extrude the cylinder so it fits the .50 BMG. Then youI could edit the cylinder to put in 3 holes and speedloader meshes to include 3 BMG's. I think that might save you some time.

Either way it'd be cool to include if you have the time.

Something so small with .50 BMG almost makes me think 10 str *and* weapon handling.....

No idea how to do that in all honesty, but someone who knows what their doing is welcome to try haha. I was thinking similar, with more DAM than a AMR, but with huge spread, same logic as shortening a shotgun barrel. so up close it should kill anything, just don't bother aiming, also tiny weapon health and massive recoil/slow rate of fire. :)

I'll whip the basic body together in blender when I can, that way someone could improve on it :)

Actually I just checked on the 45-70 vs .50BMG and i think a snub nose or any revolver based on the .50BMG would be on the wrong side of insane. The 45-70 is hitting 3.5k with modern powder (and likely that's SWC with a standard load being between 1.7k and 2.85) and the ***lowest*** BMG is hitting 13.5k. The lightest U.S. AMR I could find was 26lbs. Even for a hero, a .50BMG revolver is crazy impossible, much less a snub nose.

But you could get away with a snub nose hunting revolver, say an 8 str instead of a 6 str requirement, and make it a hold out weapon with a 50% or greater sneak skill.

Edited by devinpatterson

for the str and weapon handling? I think I'd do that through a hidden perk (make it part of the conditions). Or did you mean the extruding in blender, if so I could give it a shot.

meant in blender, I've only had minute experience with modelling, so you're more than welcome to try. The reason I put of posting here was because I don't have the skills to back up my ideas.

You'd want the damage to be a little less with a shorter barrel (that's why a revolver does less damage than a rifle even if using the same ammo), because a longer barrel has a higher ft-lbf for a round. But your totally on target about the spread, that is gonna be ridiculous....but the fire rate will make up for it.

In hindsight I think that it only relays to shotguns, my mistake. I was thinking slow rate of fire as well, but I'm just inputting my ideas so really make what you want of it :)

Sounds cool, but I'd hate for it to be DOA. Without the animations (reload, firing etc) we wouldn't be able to use it, that's why I think using a base weapon like the hunting revolver is a better way to go. You won't have to do 90% of hte work.

True, though one thing I would say is to made under the cylinder flat and thinner? I always hated the oversized angled bit on the hunting revolver, plus a flat one would take less attention away from the drum, which is the focal point, plus you'll probably since even with just 3 shots, the cylinder is going to be bloody huge, to the point of being most of the gun haha :)

EDIT: Just done a comparison and using the .44's body looks like it'd be easier, since its the same kind of shape as the pic so easier to do. if you really wanted to you could just switch out its cylinder for the hunting revolvers then elongate it all :)

Edited by HatterMaster

Hi, i saw that rubyfire1 made/put together some songs for us, did he ever upload it? in that case please send me the link ;)

I think the link is on this thread, couldn't tell you exactly which post though

Okay :/

OK finalized the top tier "cowboy" perk leverguns stats. All rounds are based on the Marlin 1895, it's one of the very few lever guns with high strength actions for large caliber rounds. I'v tried to link to where I found the info when possible, and they are in relative order of power. The only variable I used was ft-lbf or ft-lb (foot pounds, raw impact force) and that was tricky enough, much less trying to take into account other aspects of ballistics. The ft-lbf works pretty well, all the firearms from 357 to 45-70 seem to follow it fairly closely, only the AMR is off.

The first number is base damage the 2nd is max handloaded round.

.450 Marlin 75/90 Dam. 3.5k ft-lbf 75 swc +20% 90 dam. The .450 marlin is just hte modern equivalent of hte 45-70, ballistically virtually identical.

.457 Wild West Magnum 81/93 Dam. 3.6 to 3.8 ft-lbf. I think this is a somewhat specialized round made by wild west guns.81 dam swc +15%=93

.45-90 express 90/103 Dam. Modern ver of Sharpes 45-90. up to 4.2k ft-lbf, 20% more powerful, 90 base. with option for swc +15%=103

.450 alaskan 93/107 Dam. from 3.9k to 4535 ft-lbf 93 swc +15%=107

.50 alaskan 96/110 Dam. 10% weaker than kodiak express. base 96, swc+15%=110

.510 Kodiak Express 102/112 Dam. 5000ft/lbs base 102. swc +10%=112

Those may not seem like massive damage, but keep in mind compared to a AMR lever guns pump out a lot of bullets pretty quick. Since Bronco Bill, the posse, MK II's and androids can all use lever guns (and some will have cowboy perks) these are potentially very deadly opponents.

I also reduced the swc handloaded ammo as it neared the maximum capabilities of the rifles action and chamber pressure.

The .45 alaskan stats seemed to be higher than the .50 alaskan so I swapped them.

For revolvers there is the Magnum Research BFR long cylinders in .444 Marlin, .45 Colt/.410, .45-70 Government, .450 Marlin, .460 S&W Magnum and .500 S&W Magnum, but I havn't calculated those statistics yet. And the 45-90 (probably sharps) which shows a 45-90 express (or hand loaded 45-90 Sharpes) is possible 70/83 Dam (or 75/90 for special variants like a Sequoia), but that is probably the limit for a pistol, exceeding a S&W 500 Mag by about 1200 ft-lbf. There is a Pfeifer Zeliska.600 Revolver, but it is incredibly unrealistic as you can see from the pic below;

http://www.spslandforces.net/images/largestrevolver.jpg

maybe we can save the Pfeifer Zeliska for a super mutant.

Also one little note, the anti material rifle (AMR) didn't fit on the scale at all, by the amount of ft-lbf it should be generating about 300 Dam, but I guess it was nerfed for game balance reasons. Interestingly enough caliber and other weapon overhaul mods tend to bump it up to that level.

The mid cowboy firearms stats are done as well, but they'r not that interesting.

Edited by devinpatterson

Also looks like I may have been wrong, there is a .50BMG hand gun. It's a single shot breech loading pistol with a heavy recoil reduction system.

Here are some pics

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_fireams/50bmghandgunfireace.jpg

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_fireams/thunder50tripleactionllcloganut.jpg

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_fireams/bmg50cartridgeonruler.jpg

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_fireams/thunder50breechlocklabeled.jpg