Custom Mesh invisible in GECK

I know, I have a reputation for having many problems with my modding, but I haven't had this problem yet, at least with this set of "symptoms" (excuse me, I've been ill for the last month). I just made a custom gas mask mesh, complete with textures. In Nifskope it looks fine, all the node seem to be in order and named correctly, and the textures appear to be in place. The Shaders are also correct, at least, in comparison to other working headpieces. However, when I load it into GECK, it appears invisible, but does not crash the program. I can even add it the my testing NPC's inventory without a CTD, but it's still invisible on her.

Like I said, it's been properly rigged and parented to the armature...

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj27/kungfubellydancer/gasmask.png

Edited by kungfubellydancer

Actually, it's not invisible. I was panning the camera around the cell with the said NPC, and the gasmask shows up as this strange floating triangle mess.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj27/kungfubellydancer/asfasfasas.png

It's not truly invisible, just strangely deformed.

This may be a stupid question but did you use the conformulator on it?

**EDIT**

BTW that outfit looks amazing, but i expected nothing less from you :D

Edited by Riven1978

...Um, conformulator? What's that? >_<

Not sure what that is exactly, but the above glitch usually happens when my shader options are set incorrectly. But they appear okay in this situation. I'm at a loss as to what is causing the problem, because all the usual obvious errors seem to be fine. I'm sitting here saying, "Okay, what is it THIS time?"

If you make anything that goes on the head you will need to use Conformulator so that it knows where at around the head it needs to be Placed.

Bring up the mesh in Nifskope highlight the Root node (very top one) and export it as an OBJ, then you can use the obj as the "Hair File" the "Head File" would be the Humanhead.tri from the game or which ever Head replacer you want to use. Let me know if you need any help as i have done it a few times >.< and can probably come up with some better steps, if i sit down for a bit.

Hi!

Your nif screenshot shows its parented to scene root as described and there is a bip01 head node on it also like its suposed to have but I am not seeing a bsdismembermentskininstance that you would want to have for a skinned headgear. I think you want to make sure its weightpainted 100% to bip01 head and also add a vertex group called BP_HEAD and paint it 100% to that also and then export it with export skin partition and bodypart vertex groups turned on.

If you want to do a conformulated headgear instead then you can do rivens advice and use the conformulator but you should make sure the center of the object is at the position of bip01 head in pose mode. Global position does not matter. Export it unparented from scene root, the name of the root ninode can be whatever. and it does not any skinning or bodypart vertex groups. Whend you have the egm created by conformulator as riven explained, then you gotta put the egm in the same folder as the nif and open your plugin in fnvedit and find at the ref for you item where it says MODD facegen model flags and under that it says head. you can change the data field in there to 1 for both and it will say head when you click enter. then save the plugin.

That last part wil make it so the headgear is not rotated strangely and sitting on your shoulder.

Also between the 2 choices you have to choose the right selection for the head biped slot. Have a look on this link for a reference on them.

Biped object slots and their uses

Looking good btw!

I loaded into Blender and attached the Vertex Group "BP_Head". The weights were already at %100 so I exported. There is still no BSDismembermentskininstace node, and I don't know how to attach one, as it keeps going outside of Scene Root. I also used Conformulator but I'm not sure what that did besides add an .egm and ,tri files (among others) to my folder. Otherwise, the mesh still works the same in GECK, with floating triangles. Edited by kungfubellydancer

I can only attest to things i have done, other then that i have no idea. When you use the Conformulator make sure that the EGM and the NIF are of the same name and in the same folder, then in GECK you will need to do the Update Facegen model availability. However this will do all of the in game Headgear, so you will need to go back and remove all of the "extra" ones you don't want included in your esp (I use FNVEdit). I have never made the tri file when i do mine because you want it to use the Head Mesh tri (from my understanding and experience at least) As far as the dismemberment i have never done one on anything that wasn't actually attached to the body so i can not help you there, I do know that almost anything i do in Blender that deals with any kind of clothing/outfit I keep the Dismemberment button pressed in, which i just checked on a Pair of elf ears i am working on and it seems to have exported it (the dismemberment) along with everything else so i guess i did it right >.< They are working fine in game anyway right placement just no texture to go along with it as of yet ;) I have never done any dismemberment in Nifskope cause mathematics gets my eyes crossing something fierce and happens anytime i am dealing with numbers and triangulations and such.

Hi!

Yeah ok so to clarify, you can either use conformulator or have it weighted to the skeleton. you dont have to do both.

With conformulator it will be able to adapt itself to head shapes that the user altered with their facegen settings.

The skinned (rigged) one will be able to deform itself depending on animation so if you have straps or tubes going down to the body or whatever it is most useful.

The link i provided gives a breakdown of the different headgear biped object slots and what type of headgear the game expects when those are selected in geck.

as for not getting the bsdismembermentskininstance. Make sure it has the "bip01 Head" vertex group and the "BP_HEAD" vertex group.

Make sure that you have export skin partition selected near the bottom of the left hand column as well as dismember body parts.