Low poly wire rope

sputnik421

Hi!

Yea good timing also.. I am needing a good rope texture for my project so I will make one this way.

This is max forum but like blender it probly has array modifiers and circles and stuff you can use to make your process fast and precise.

Yep 3DS Max has all of those and also has a loft object system, to make the rope up from splines before doing the array. If you don't have Max get an educational e-mail address and get it free for 3 years, you wont want to go back to blender once you get to know 3DS Max.

Here is the tut that showed me how to use loft

Mr Bluesummers Wire Cable Loft tutorial for 3DS Max

Edited by sputnik421

Yes it worked well for me.

I have a rope segment now with a simple rectangular uv map on a tiling texture.

Using the simple deform modifier to bend it in any direction relative to the rotation of an empty, then rotating and translating the cylinder itself I got it into a smooth tight coil without distorting the texture or thickness of the rope.

Pre uv mapping it is a scheme i am hoping to allow me to tie the rope into other knots also without having to uv map it afterwards :D

Edit: After modelling the rope and everything I decided i didnt like the twist i had so i redid it and its a lot better now.

New base texture

Its also an improvement to in photoshop render fibers horizontally and apply them with a displacement map.

Edited by baduk