Installing mods error

Helldrone

Alright, i got Dragon Age Ultimate Edition installed with all its DLC's on my Windows 7 Ultimate

I tried installing this small mod

Character Respecialization - http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=14

But when it's about done it says on this Error log

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Information - Extraction successful.

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Information - Install mutex not found.

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Error - Error loading AddIns XML: System.Xml.XmlException: Ugyldig tegn i den angitte kodingen. Linje 30, plassering 47.

ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)

ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)

ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res)

ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.InvalidCharRecovery(Int32& bytesCount, Int32& charsCount)

ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.GetChars(Int32 maxCharsCount)

ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadData()

ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseCDataOrComment(XmlNodeType type, Int32& outStartPos, Int32& outEndPos)

ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseCDataOrComment(XmlNodeType type)

ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()

ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()

ved System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)

ved System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)

ved System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)

ved System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)

ved System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)

ved DAUpdater.Engine.Content.ContentInstaller.LoadAddInsXml()

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Information - Installing WRK_RESPEC_MOD folder: C:\Users\------\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\temp\Character_Respec_Mod_v1_6-14\Contents\packages to: C:\Users\------\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Information - Installing WRK_RESPEC_MOD folder: C:\Users\-----\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\temp\Character_Respec_Mod_v1_6-14\Contents\addins to: C:\Users\-------\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\AddIns\

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Information - Updating AddIns.xml

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Error - Couldn't update XML file, error: System.NullReferenceException: Objektreferanse er ikke satt til en objektforekomst.

ved DAUpdater.Engine.Content.ContentInstaller.UpdateAddInsXml(String UID, XmlNode newAddInItem)

ved DAUpdater.Engine.Content.ContentInstaller.InstallContent(InstallInfo installInfo, Boolean bDeleteAfterInstall)

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Error - Install failed!

It would help a lot if i could get this fixed and yes i am the Admin, and ran it as a admin

What are you using to "install" it? DAUpdater? DAM? DAMM?

the updater* that came with dragon age the DAUpdater of course.

Edited by Helldrone

Ok then. (Oh, do you have a Steam install? That shouldn't matter, but sometimes does...)

If it were my system, I would delete the current copy of "Character Respec." completely, download another copy of the mod, and attempt to install it again. Personally, I use DAO-Modmanager (DAMM), instead of DAUpdater, but that also shouldn't matter for this.

BTW: Since you say you're new to this, you might want to take a look at the article: "Using DA Mods for Dummies". It has a lot of general information about what to be aware of when you start modding your game. :thumbsup:

Ok then. (Oh, do you have a Steam install? That shouldn't matter, but sometimes does...)

If it were my system, I would delete the current copy of "Character Respec." completely, download another copy of the mod, and attempt to install it again. Personally, I use DAO-Modmanager (DAMM), instead of DAUpdater, but that also shouldn't matter for this.

BTW: Since you say you're new to this, you might want to take a look at the article: "Using DA Mods for Dummies". It has a lot of general information about what to be aware of when you start modding your game. :thumbsup:

Done and done, but i dont think that is the issure man, i did post the Log saying what the problem is man....

It can make a difference. I've ever used DAUpdater that came with the game, I've only ever used DAOModManager - and I've never had any problems with mods installing (except the Teleport spell - the mod installed, but did nothing... :-/ )

... but i dont think that is the issure man, i did post the Log saying what the problem is man....

If the solution to the problem were obvious in the log, you would have spotted it and fixed it already.

Looks like the main error was reported in the first few lines,

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Information - Install mutex not found.

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Error - Error loading AddIns XML: System.Xml.XmlException: Ugyldig tegn i den angitte kodingen. Linje 30, plassering 47.

The rest results form that.

But these errors indicate an incomplete mod (and there are many, many players successfully using that exact version downloaded from here) and/or a potential problem with a non-standard set of DA installation paths ("Error loading AddIns...")

Hence my advice in the earlier post, and my question about a Steam install.

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Information - Updating AddIns.xml

12.03.2011 19:49 - Engine.Content.ContentInstaller, Error - Couldn't update XML file, error: System.NullReferenceException: Objektreferanse er ikke satt til en objektforekomst.

Not sure what the non-english text reads, but yeah... it's not finding your addins.xml file.

Null reference exception. It can't find the file that it's looking for. And the lines right above that say that it's working addins.xml.

check your documents/bioware/dragon age/settings folder to make sure that you have an addins.xml file.

If not, then back track to documents/bioware/dragon age/ and do a search of the folder thru windows for addins and see if it locates it in a different folder.

If so you're going to A) either update to a different installer like DAM or DAMM which you can edit your file paths, or B) Create a duplicate of the addins.xml file in documents/bioware/dragon age/settings.

Tho... with B) I don't know if the mod will still load from there in the UE or STEAM version. So it might work, it might not.

Edited by DarkeWolf
added information

Yeah, DAMM gave me a pat on the head like

"Lol, your missing a file, here let me fix it, now have fun *pat pat*" i was furious on how i could miss that little thing but i got it all fixed now

I can install mods now, working fine, and thanks for the help guys.

Cool deal, I'm glad to hear that your mods are installing correctly now :)

Well... part of the problem is that those error reports pop out as a huge block of text. Which makes it even harder to figure out. And MS doesnt use plain english, so you have to know what some of their terminology means.

Such as "null reference exception". HUH??? :laugh:

The average user has NO idea what that means. And even some of us techs have to look it up!

So don't be too hard on yourself for it ;)

Anyways, glad you got it sorted out. Happy gaming, and enjoy what's left of the weekend :)

-DW