Enter World Cell crash Please Help

dianoga

Hello. I have recently returned to playing Fallout 3 and now whenever I try to enter a world cell it RESTARTS my computer. I have never had this problem before with it. Now suddenly this happens. Please help for this is driving me nuts. I have scanned every part of my computer looking for problems and nothing. I even reinstalled Fallout to no avail. Though it had a (I believe unrelated) data transfer error while installing which fixed itself on restart of the computer. Once again please help me and you will have my undying gratitude.

Hi,

Your computer restarting could mean a graphic driver error or in the worst case an overheating of the video card itself, if you have checked your driver and it runs fine in other games then open your computer and keep an eye on the video card fan, it's also a good idea to remove the dust with an air compressor, and try again. I had my old computer reboot in games due to a faulty fan on my video card and it overheating, have been looking for weeks to solve this problem with software before I opened the casing and check the components inside, so better check if it's not the same thing happening with your computer because in that case nothing will help. Even if the fan still works it's a good idea to download a temp sensor checker that monitors the temperature inside your casing and that saves it to a log to make a test run, if it crashes again then check the log to see if it didn't overheat.

Thanks you Billy do you know a reliable link for the temp sensor or should I just google it? At least if this is the problem it hopefully will be easily fixable. Once again thanks for the help.

Thanks for the link. By the way I think it most likely is the card overheating or something else hardware related as it is also happening in some of my other games I am still testing to find out which other ones are crashing (restarting the pc not just ctd) and at least for now it is just red alert 3... Thanks again for any help offered.

Dust bunnies. It's always about the frelling dust bunnies. Penguins, those evil little bastages - they sneak in when you aren't there and plant dust bunnies all over the inside of your computer case, making it hold in excess heat. They take particular delight in planting those frelling things inside the cooling vanes on your video card and in and under your CPU fan. Diabolical little <expletives deleted>. :pinch:

very nice proconsul.. I have done my best at ridding my computer of those daibolical critters but to no avail. I tried creating a new character to see if it had the same problem but it did. I'm once again not sure if its related but (after teleporting into megaton) after exiting through the main doors of megaton it lasted for about two seconds then crashed. Reloading though ended up with me on a hillside somewhere... and another crash. Also if it the card overheating it does it to quickly for the sensor to read before crashing. It was only at 59 degrees (celcius) (138 f). while at the char creation screen it got up to 80c (176 f) so those penguins bunnies and gremlins are still mucking up my pc... any suggestions?

Hmm, that is too hot by a fair measure. Anything over about 60C is bad and likely to cause crashes/meltdowns. It also shortens the card's life by quite a bit to run that hot. If the case is clean, then the case itself is inadequate to the thermal challenge. For a stopgap you could leave one side of the case off and run a good room fan pointed right into the frellin' thing. For a permanent fix I'd hit Newegg.com and check out their high endorsement cases.