Need good advice for a first time player

guguma

Dear all,

Let me explain my point briefly, I did play oblivion when it first came out, honestly I did not enjoy it a lot. What bothered me was:

1. I found level scaling weird (I was surprised the arena battles were so easy, then I realized level scaling is in effect)

2. The amount of time this game requires from You (I honestly want to do things in the game and explore but do not have a lot of time at my hand)

Now I would like to return to trying it once more, but the above two problems still remain, I have been looking at mods to see if any of these issues has been attended, I found about OOO etc. But the thing is there are a lot of mods out there and I am lost.

So what I expect from this game is to spend some time exploring and fighting, blasting spells, doing some quests etc, I am not after the MMORPG style stuff included in the game because I have not the time for this (like decorate your home, steal bread, get an occasional drink at the local inn etc.) and I am expecting minor challenges nothing too serious.

So do You have any advice on how to make this game more "easygoing" that is playing the game but not being involved with all the minor hassles that You know what I am talking about, or are there any mods present to accomplish this.

Simply put I am looking for a more classical D&D style RPG context with some powerplay elements (I see videos where people shoot creatures to the clouds with a spell which would possibly require 10000 magicka to cast in the vanilla game).

I wonder if oblivion can offer me this either in its vanilla state or with the inclusion of some mods.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34888

This mod has a lot of spells! I've tried them and the damage output seems to be pretty high if you have a decent mastery of destruction. There are also leveling up mods which totally reform the vanilla Bethesda style. I didn't try any of those out because in my opinion I found the vanilla leveling up something out of the ordinary but yes, I do agree, it is time consuming.

You could try something like Oblivion XP which changes the way the levelling system works to be more like D&D - although if you want something more D&D-ish I'd suggest Neverwinter Nights / NWN2. The whole point of games like Oblivion is that they ARE massive and open ended, and not a simple "go here / kill this / come back with loot" fest.

If you want the open-ended play style, and a challenge, I suggest starting with OOO, but maybe looking at a full FCOM (Frans / OOO / MMM / Warcry) installation - but try adding just one or two mods first to get the feel of how to use OBMM and Wrye bash of an FCOM install will give you no end of problems to debug.

Edit: Because MarkinMKUK beat me to posting.

I wouldn't normally recommend FCOM to a "new player" except that Oblivion was too slow and boring for you the first time around. FCOM is very popular and FCOM would let you play 4 of the most popular game overhauls together. It pretty much makes it a new game. You might be a good candidate for FCOM. I don't use it, but it's more challenging and gets rid of the vanilla leveling. I think it would be too hard for me because I am one of those rping type players who wanders around gathering herbs more than I clean out dungeons. That might make it perfect for you, though. FCOM installs seem to be in well over half the load lists posted by people on this site.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=24647

I think this is the mod you probably saw in YouTube videos, Midas Magic Spells of Aurum. It is one of the most popular mods of all times for Oblivion. In fact, on this site last time I checked the top 100 non adult mods it was right at the top, #1.

http://www.tesnexus....le.php?id=18507

I have been seriously considering installing that one even though I have avoided all the other overhauls and prefer to play the tamer vanilla game with a lot of graphical improvements instead. It looks a lot more fun than the magic the game comes with. It looks like a combo of Dungeons and Dragons with a bit of the Harry Potter movies.

Now I feel like playing AD&D soon. Your fault! :)