Buying a new computer in 400 dollar range- What computer could run Obl

oblivionaddict15

My old computer from 2004 could run oblivion pretty well with no lag (Had new video card) but after it died, got a new one in november. Just look on the system requirements thing and use recommended. Edited by Flopsies

Skyrim is on its way, so it might be a good idea to hang on until the min. requirements for that are available.

You will certainly get more bang for your buck if you build your own setup, given that you have the skill & confidence to do that obviously :thumbsup:

Things to look for on a PC for Oblivion

1) Decent graphics card.

2) Separate sound card.

3) Good clock speed - it doesn't use multiple cores well so a fast single core will bead a slower dual core unit.

Win XP with 2GB RAM or Win7 32 with 2/3GB RAM. 64 bit you start having to tinker and play to get things going well.

If you want to add eye candy mods such as improved textures, more complex landscapes, then push all the money at the video card. You WILL reach a slideshow point if you push the eye candy TOO far - the combination of things like QTP3 / Unique Landscapes / Better Cities and AEVWD will cripple ANY framerate.

Check to see if you have a Microcenter in your area. If not go to the website. They have good machines, sometimes refurbs, but still in excellent shape. I got a very good machine there for a decent price. It's a quad core, with 4 G RAM. I've had no problems except as Mark mentions. I run everything at full throttle, with about 240 active mods. Once you get so many any machine is going to burp or protest a bit.

But Microcenter is a great place to look. For $400 you should be able to get a good machine. I did have to get a better video card, but that was expected and desired. Good luck finding your machine!