Witcher 3 modding tools released with NMM support

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #27837160. #27838075, #27838955, #27839275, #27839770, #27839870, #27842220, #27842305, #27842815, #27844310, #27844755, #27844785, #27845115 are all replies on the same post.

listten wrote: "champions of PC gaming above and beyond any other major game developers or publishers out there"

Really? They made their games with excessive use of cutscenes, just like most other modern 3D RPG games out there. You are only watching CGI 3D movies with limited gameplay in between.

Plus they deliberately crammed taxing graphic element in their game to make it look good. This action is just like Crysis 3 which use excessive polygons to burden gamers' rigs. This is a marketing trick done by some game designers in collaboration with graphic card manufacturers so as to lure gamers into buying expensive new cards to keep up with the taxing graphics. At the same time not a surprise the performance of older cards are lower after a couple new release of drivers. This is dubious practice. Not many gamers aware of this. 4k gaming is another marketing trick to trick you to constantly buy new cards as well. Graphic whores who are rich will fall into this easily.

Plus CDPR made Witcher 3 with $32 million development cost, but marketing cost is $35 million. Marketing cost > development cost. They are eager to sell the game to you more than they want to make good game. Not many gamers know about this news.

Some people or some sites might have received their $35 million just to help them to promote their game, with dubious review and excessive praise.

And because of the excessive use of cutscenes, their game is not sandbox and fully mod supported. Not a surprise really seeing that you can't mod even the clothes worn by Geralt or NPCs. Because the cutscenes are CGI. You can't mod CGI. Clothes that you mod won't reflect on the CGI.

Their games are not bad. Some fanboys just love to overrate their games.
misa7772 wrote: Well said.
eleventeen wrote: uhh the game has exactly two CGI cutscenes, one near the beginning and one near the end.

With the modkit clothing for everyone is fully moddable, and will work and show up in 99.9% of cutscenes.
d81 wrote: My hardware from around 2012 plays The Witcher 3 just fine on mostly ultra settings. There are a great many options to tailor the graphics to your computer's capabilities. I am yet to have any significant problems, unlike every Bethesda open-world game I've ever played. The Witcher 3 has never crashed once. NOT ONCE.

So far as I can tell, the cutscenes are rendered using the game engine and are not pre-rendered. I haven't looked at the files, but how can the official DLC provide alternate outfits if the outfits can't be changed? The DLCs are mods, right? Forget about the fact that every video game is CGI...

For that matter, what do cutscenes have to do with the sandbox? So far as I can tell, I can run about wherever I like. It's certainly not Morrowind, and I much prefer the Bethesda style of blank slate character building (i.e., I don't want to play as a predesignated protagonist), but I think it still qualifies as a sandbox game. A not-very-interactive-kinda-boring sandbox, but still. Not to say that I like the cutscenes...I hate them and find watching Geralt talk a boring waste of time.

In summation, CD Projekt Red is not making you do anything and their game works fine. They are diligently fixing bugs and adding feature requests. They have provided neat DLC (mods) for no extra cost. They sell the game without DRM. Now they are providing modding tools. What exactly are you complaining about? What other company is doing all this?
xCELL91 wrote: i personally think the game is severely over-rated, it does have pretty graphics i'll give it that, but everything else (Combat, Quests, Characters, Story, Movement and Controls) is mediocre at best.
FOSeriesLover wrote: My my this is the whiniest post I've read in a looong time. excessive use of cutscenes? right...

There are only 2 or 3 CGI cutscenes afaik..

As for the development cost... Marketing isn't cheap compared to development. While it took years to spend 32 million $ on development, 35 million $ can easily be blown away within months if you want to advertise properly. And so far, they had their game finished. Why spend any more money into a finished product?

They knew they had made a great game. Why not market it accordingly?
nexuskech1 wrote: retard skyrim fanboy detected
nexuskech1 wrote: yeah because skyrim has better quest, combat and main story than the witcher 3 , dont be idiot skyrim is the most overrated crap game ever
lidowxx wrote: Quote :i personally think the game is severely over-rated, it does have pretty graphics i'll give it that, but everything else (Combat, Quests, Characters, Story, Movement and Controls) is mediocre at best.

Are you sure you are talking about TW3? Because I find it hard to believe that you are stating so many things that were splendidly done by CDPR, let see, combat, I have seen people complaining about it and but lots of people have no issues with it, not the best combat system I have seen in a RPG, but definitely not bad.

Move on to Quests, Characters, Story, you got to be sh1tting me if you think they are mediocre, the game has one the best story telling sequences I have seen in a video game, characters and dialogues so well written that lots of people claim it's one of the very few games in which they actually care about the characters in game, and I have seen lots of people have many emotional moments while playing throughout the game, check some let's play series on youtube if you have any doubts.

Even 90% of the side quests are so well designed and interesting, it's never something like fetch/steal something for someone, kill something/somebody for someone, then it's done like we have seen so often in Dragon age/Skyrim, there is always more to it in TW3, whether there is something sinister behind what may look like a simple and ordinary job, or there is something NPCs try to hold it from you for some reason, it's all up to you discover what it's really like.

About movement and controls, yes, there were issues when the game first got released, but they got fixed after a few patches, and now you have an alternate movement which is a huge improvement over the original.
xCELL91 wrote: atleast skyrim has the immersion factor of actually making u feel like u r living the game
btw i'm more of a Dark Souls player since i think skyrim is s#*! by comparison.
Dark Souls >>>>>>>>>>>>> The Elder Scrolls > The Witcher > Dragon Age
ouzair wrote: Here's a thought why don't we stfu and enjoy the games :)
xCELL91 wrote: @listten i didn't say the combat was bad i said it was mediocre, as in between bad and good.
and as for the story, characters and main quests; i just finished the novigrad part and about to take a boat to skillege, and until now there wasn't a single character or quest that was memorable to me most of them characters/quests were very generic for me, a bunch of medieval gangsters, also i don't know if the developers intended it that way, but i didn't feel like a was playing a fantasy game let alone an rpg. keep in mind that i have played games like Final Fantasy, Dark Souls, The Elder Scrolls, Persona and such and they offered far more likable and intriguing characters and story.

and about the controls, yes i'm aware they tried to fix it with a patch but they only fixed the acceleration problem at the initial movement. there r far more annoying problems like turning the character around or the controller key mappings which cannot be modified, and having to use my right thumb for both the camera and attacking.

moxica wrote: "champions of PC gaming above and beyond any other major game developers or publishers out there"

Some of you seem to be missing the point of this comment, entirely.
" DRM free games, huge free "Enhanced Edition" patches to their games, free DLC (let's acknowledge how awesome that is in this day and age of "season passes" for DLC...), modding tools, and the list goes on."

There is nothing in their about Best game ever, best design ever...
Yet for some unexplainable reason, that's what was jumped on.
The chasm that existed between PC and console, years ago, was based on the freedom that gaming on the PC offered. This chasm has been thinned down to the width of a crack because of DRM, paid dlc and locked down files that prevent modding.
Those 3 things didn't exist in PC gaming years ago and that's what made PC gaming golden.
If you wanted a console game, you went to a toy store or a department store. (Before there were gaming stores) if you wanted a PC game, you went to a PC store or a bookstore! They were separate types of gaming in every way.
Consoles had their games and the PC had their games. If there was a crossover game, they were usually made for the PC and ported to the console. If it was made for the console and ported to the PC, we still could mod some of them and add levels and other stuff.
When you got a PC game, you didn't need a third party company to play it.
You bought it, you installed it, it was yours. Period. You could easily browse the files and see how everything worked.
I know, I've heard the argument "Steam isn't DRM!" Take Steam off your computer and see where your games go then come back and we'll talk about that, thank you.
"How are companies supposed to protect themselves against piracy?!" DRM has never been about piracy. It's about the resale market which has been stated, by several companies, as the biggest threat to PC gaming revenue.

So with those things in mind, CDPR is the ONLY company that does things the way traditional PC games were done back in the golden age of PC gaming.

Well Said Kudos

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #27837160. #27838075, #27838955, #27839275, #27839770, #27839870, #27842220, #27842305, #27842815, #27844310, #27844755, #27844785, #27845115, #27845405 are all replies on the same post.

listten wrote: "champions of PC gaming above and beyond any other major game developers or publishers out there"

Really? They made their games with excessive use of cutscenes, just like most other modern 3D RPG games out there. You are only watching CGI 3D movies with limited gameplay in between.

Plus they deliberately crammed taxing graphic element in their game to make it look good. This action is just like Crysis 3 which use excessive polygons to burden gamers' rigs. This is a marketing trick done by some game designers in collaboration with graphic card manufacturers so as to lure gamers into buying expensive new cards to keep up with the taxing graphics. At the same time not a surprise the performance of older cards are lower after a couple new release of drivers. This is dubious practice. Not many gamers aware of this. 4k gaming is another marketing trick to trick you to constantly buy new cards as well. Graphic whores who are rich will fall into this easily.

Plus CDPR made Witcher 3 with $32 million development cost, but marketing cost is $35 million. Marketing cost > development cost. They are eager to sell the game to you more than they want to make good game. Not many gamers know about this news.

Some people or some sites might have received their $35 million just to help them to promote their game, with dubious review and excessive praise.

And because of the excessive use of cutscenes, their game is not sandbox and fully mod supported. Not a surprise really seeing that you can't mod even the clothes worn by Geralt or NPCs. Because the cutscenes are CGI. You can't mod CGI. Clothes that you mod won't reflect on the CGI.

eleventeen wrote: uhh the game has exactly two CGI cutscenes, one near the beginning and one near the end.

With the modkit clothing for everyone is fully moddable, and will work and show up in 99.9% of cutscenes.
d81 wrote: My hardware from around 2012 plays The Witcher 3 just fine on mostly ultra settings. There are a great many options to tailor the graphics to your computer's capabilities. I am yet to have any significant problems, unlike every Bethesda open-world game I've ever played. The Witcher 3 has never crashed once. NOT ONCE.

So far as I can tell, the cutscenes are rendered using the game engine and are not pre-rendered. I haven't looked at the files, but how can the official DLC provide alternate outfits if the outfits can't be changed? The DLCs are mods, right? Forget about the fact that every video game is CGI...

For that matter, what do cutscenes have to do with the sandbox? So far as I can tell, I can run about wherever I like. It's certainly not Morrowind, and I much prefer the Bethesda style of blank slate character building (i.e., I don't want to play as a predesignated protagonist), but I think it still qualifies as a sandbox game. A not-very-interactive-kinda-boring sandbox, but still. Not to say that I like the cutscenes...I hate them and find watching Geralt talk a boring waste of time.

In summation, CD Projekt Red is not making you do anything and their game works fine. They are diligently fixing bugs and adding feature requests. They have provided neat DLC (mods) for no extra cost. They sell the game without DRM. Now they are providing modding tools. What exactly are you complaining about? What other company is doing all this?
xCELL91 wrote: i personally think the game is severely over-rated, it does have pretty graphics i'll give it that, but everything else (Combat, Quests, Characters, Story, Movement and Controls) is mediocre at best.
FOSeriesLover wrote: My my this is the whiniest post I've read in a looong time. excessive use of cutscenes? right...

As for the development cost... Marketing isn't cheap compared to development. While it took years to spend 32 million $ on development, 35 million $ can easily be blown away within months if you want to advertise properly. And so far, they had their game finished. Why spend any more money into a finished product?

nexuskech1 wrote: yeah because skyrim has better quest, combat and main story than the witcher 3 , dont be idiot skyrim is the most overrated crap game ever
lidowxx wrote: Quote :i personally think the game is severely over-rated, it does have pretty graphics i'll give it that, but everything else (Combat, Quests, Characters, Story, Movement and Controls) is mediocre at best.

Are you sure you are talking about TW3? Because I find it hard to believe that you are stating so many things that were splendidly done by CDPR, let see, combat, I have seen people complaining about it and but lots of people have no issues with it, not the best combat system I have seen in a RPG, but definitely not bad.

Move on to Quests, Characters, Story, you got to be sh1tting me if you think they are mediocre, the game has one the best story telling sequences I have seen in a video game, characters and dialogues so well written that lots of people claim it's one of the very few games in which they actually care about the characters in game, and I have seen lots of people have many emotional moments while playing throughout the game, check some let's play series on youtube if you have any doubts.

Even 90% of the side quests are so well designed and interesting, it's never something like fetch/steal something for someone, kill something/somebody for someone, then it's done like we have seen so often in Dragon age/Skyrim, there is always more to it in TW3, whether there is something sinister behind what may look like a simple and ordinary job, or there is something NPCs try to hold it from you for some reason, it's all up to you discover what it's really like.

About movement and controls, yes, there were issues when the game first got released, but they got fixed after a few patches, and now you have an alternate movement which is a huge improvement over the original.
xCELL91 wrote: atleast skyrim has the immersion factor of actually making u feel like u r living the game
xCELL91 wrote: @listten i didn't say the combat was bad i said it was mediocre, as in between bad and good.
and as for the story, characters and main quests; i just finished the novigrad part and about to take a boat to skillege, and until now there wasn't a single character or quest that was memorable to me most of them characters/quests were very generic for me, a bunch of medieval gangsters, also i don't know if the developers intended it that way, but i didn't feel like a was playing a fantasy game let alone an rpg. keep in mind that i have played games like Final Fantasy, Dark Souls, The Elder Scrolls, Persona and such and they offered far more likable and intriguing characters and story.

and about the controls, yes i'm aware they tried to fix it with a patch but they only fixed the acceleration problem at the initial movement. there r far more annoying problems like turning the character around or the controller key mappings which cannot be modified, and having to use my right thumb for both the camera and attacking.

moxica wrote: "champions of PC gaming above and beyond any other major game developers or publishers out there"

" DRM free games, huge free "Enhanced Edition" patches to their games, free DLC (let's acknowledge how awesome that is in this day and age of "season passes" for DLC...), modding tools, and the list goes on."

The chasm that existed between PC and console, years ago, was based on the freedom that gaming on the PC offered. This chasm has been thinned down to the width of a crack because of DRM, paid dlc and locked down files that prevent modding.
Those 3 things didn't exist in PC gaming years ago and that's what made PC gaming golden.
If you wanted a console game, you went to a toy store or a department store. (Before there were gaming stores) if you wanted a PC game, you went to a PC store or a bookstore! They were separate types of gaming in every way.
Consoles had their games and the PC had their games. If there was a crossover game, they were usually made for the PC and ported to the console. If it was made for the console and ported to the PC, we still could mod some of them and add levels and other stuff.
You bought it, you installed it, it was yours. Period. You could easily browse the files and see how everything worked.
I know, I've heard the argument "Steam isn't DRM!" Take Steam off your computer and see where your games go then come back and we'll talk about that, thank you.
"How are companies supposed to protect themselves against piracy?!" DRM has never been about piracy. It's about the resale market which has been stated, by several companies, as the biggest threat to PC gaming revenue.

So with those things in mind, CDPR is the ONLY company that does things the way traditional PC games were done back in the golden age of PC gaming.

FRiNGE07 wrote: Well Said Kudos

Nice tin foil hat there buddy.

Dont expect much. Ive been trying to work with these "mod tools" for 4 hours now and i will tell you now, they are aweful. I was so excited when i saw that they had been released, but these "tools" are garbage. It is so hard and tedious to conver files to a editable form, and its not even working for me for reasons beyond my understanding. The tool simply fails every time i use it. and it only allows for the exporting and importing of one singe file at a time. Ive seen amateurs make better unpacking tools than this in a couple weeks time, for a dev team to release this as is, is almost pointless, i would rather have waited then be teased into thinking there was a mod kit out. there is no earthly reason this program shouldnt simply unpack and convert every file at once. There is no reason the program shouldnt have a user interface of some sort in order to select file paths for importing and exporting, instead of having to manually input commads into cmd: This tool is junk.

I really had high hopes for witcher 3. and sadly, i have been continually let down by them. To push a game back months and months to "get it perfect" only to release a game that doesnt even have simple basic features like fov settings, and to release mod tools of this quality? This game is a glorified medieval red dead redemption. definately not living up to the hype. I am saddly disapointed today

In response to post #27832080.

AdityaIyer wrote: Great! NMM is for mods as Steam is for games (at least for me) and glad to see TW3 finally joining in. Took them a while!

how did you make it scan your witcher 3 .exe ...for me it continuously fails to find it and when i do it manually it says no .exe exists in the x64 folder

In response to post #27838495.

ouzair wrote: keep getting following error

C:\Games\Witcher 3 Mod Tools\bin\x64>call wcc_lite uncook -indir=C:\Games\Witche
r 3 - Wild Hunt\content -outdir=C:\Games\Witcher 3 Exports\Uncooked\ -imgfmt=tga

[2015.08.14 23:33:49][Error][Game] CItemManager: directory 'items\' not found!
[2015.08.14 23:33:49][Error][Game] Error: no speed config defined in speedConfig
.xml, there is probably an error in there !
[2015.08.14 23:33:49][Error][Game] [DLC] There's no DLC directory in the depot.
No DLCs will be mounted.
[2015.08.14 23:33:49][info][WCC] Starting commandlet 'uncook'
[2015.08.14 23:33:49][info][WCC] -----------------------------------------------
----------------
[2015.08.14 23:33:49][Warning][WCC] Failed to find texture caches in 'C:\Games\W
itcher\'!
[2015.08.14 23:33:49][Error][WCC] No bundle files found in 'C:\Games\Witcher\'!
[2015.08.14 23:33:49][info][WCC] -----------------------------------------------
----------------
[2015.08.14 23:33:49][info][WCC] Total errors: 0
[2015.08.14 23:33:49][info][WCC] Total warnings: 0
[2015.08.14 23:33:49][Error][WCC] Wcc operation failed

C:\Games\Witcher 3 Mod Tools\bin\x64>

Your indir and outdir paths have spaces in them you need to wrap them in " ". If you look at your error details it cut it off right after Witcher\. Hopefully that helps you.

In response to post #27837160. #27838075, #27838955, #27839275, #27839770, #27839870, #27842220, #27842305, #27842815, #27844310, #27844755, #27844785, #27845115, #27845405, #27846505 are all replies on the same post.

FRiNGE07 wrote: Well Said Kudos
orbit991 wrote: Nice tin foil hat there buddy.

Redkit is a company in a capitalist system, which means it had one obkigation one purpose one goal and, if publicly owned, one overriding legal obligation: to create profit.

Which has nothing to do with my argument, other than to let you know publishers make gamers happy to the farthest extent at which profit is maximized.

Ans so maybe there is more to the Marxist stuff...Boo on them for catering to consoles? Sorry, but you're not CFO material. One makes money the way humans do government. Read Machiavelli for the one the only useful look behind the veil.

The mkre machines the more games and when everyone has steamboxes what then? Frowny face stickers for not catering to the apartment-filling stack pc gamer?

And your argument is Red sucks because: not a true sandbix.

Obviously. It's never been said to be, least of all (never) by Red. Immayerial.

Elements a console can handle better than a oc: Un... YOUR pc running without the necessary graphixs etc tweaks, I assune you meant.

Cutscenes: Could the story have been told another way, and been as good? What is inhwrently bad about cutscenes? Who else shoukd care let alobe agree that apparently they run for shllllt on your pc? Especially when you're a minority and a small one (capitalism, not egalitarianism, ergo if 5% hate the game... Well, you bought it regardless, so no one cares).

And maybe you can't mod CGI, in which case I'm sorry you like to make statements without basis in fact, like the fact that a five mibute YouTube video is enough to let you do sick stuff.

IfnI missed anything, oh well. Unless you can logically account for your crying. Which you cannot since logic puts the lie to all of them.

And please Wiki logical fallacies before any attemots to disprove my argument.

Also know it's the argument I found distasteful and attacked, and note I did and do not attack you. You may be a bot for all I know. As may I be. So no and hominems. Bots don't cry.

We were all expecting REDKIT but what we got isn't it. The modding potential with this "Modkit" is quite low and frankly sucks. I don't understand what the problem is. CDPR promised us REDKIT on several articles. So what's up with that?

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-mod-support-tools-confirmed-cd-projekt-red-ceo/#ixzz3injySBIi

http://ap.ign.com/the-witcher-3-pc/66759/news/the-witcher-3-new-details-to-blow-your-mind

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/04/12/the-witcher-3-devs-working-to-make-modding-tools-accessible-want-to-give-as-much-freedom-as-possible/

But then we got slapped in the face with this

Edited by berserker6666

In response to post #27846890.

DarthIre wrote: Dont expect much. Ive been trying to work with these "mod tools" for 4 hours now and i will tell you now, they are aweful. I was so excited when i saw that they had been released, but these "tools" are garbage. It is so hard and tedious to conver files to a editable form, and its not even working for me for reasons beyond my understanding. The tool simply fails every time i use it. and it only allows for the exporting and importing of one singe file at a time. Ive seen amateurs make better unpacking tools than this in a couple weeks time, for a dev team to release this as is, is almost pointless, i would rather have waited then be teased into thinking there was a mod kit out. there is no earthly reason this program shouldnt simply unpack and convert every file at once. There is no reason the program shouldnt have a user interface of some sort in order to select file paths for importing and exporting, instead of having to manually input commads into cmd: This tool is junk.
I really had high hopes for witcher 3. and sadly, i have been continually let down by them. To push a game back months and months to "get it perfect" only to release a game that doesnt even have simple basic features like fov settings, and to release mod tools of this quality? This game is a glorified medieval red dead redemption. definately not living up to the hype. I am saddly disapointed today

And lying about the whole downgrade situation? That was another kick in the nuts. I expected better of CDPR. They stated in several articles that REDKIT will be out, they're working on it. This "Modkit" sucks.

I dont get it, are you all blind or something?

@BlindJudge stated it here:

They very kindly gave us a heads up about their plans and gave us access to a beta version of the tools so that we could update our Nexus Mod Manager to support mods made using the tools in time for their launch.

We have the BETA VERSION OF THE TOOLS not the full release....

EDIT: Am I like the only one that reads the whole article before I say something??

Edited by Darkarhon

In response to post #27850804.

Darkarhon wrote: I dont get it, are you all blind or something?

@BlindJudge stated it here:

They very kindly gave us a heads up about their plans and gave us access to a beta version of the tools so that we could update our Nexus Mod Manager to support mods made using the tools in time for their launch.

We have the BETA VERSION OF THE TOOLS not the full release....

EDIT: Am I like the only one that reads the whole article before I say something??

Read the community manager's Twitter feed. And the beta version you are talking about is the MODKIT's beta version which was given to Nexus earlier so they can implement it. The full version of MODKIT is what everyone else downloaded. At least that's what I think happened.

Edited by berserker6666