Putting GPS Chips in Children & Teens

samusaran253

@marharth, I wouldn't post in a discussion about being a soldier and tell them how simple aspects of their job should be or how easy certain things should be for a black person, because I don't have any experience as a soldier or being black. Posting on something like that would make me come off as some armchair intellectual who thinks the problems in the world are easily solvable if only people would listen to my obviously (in)experienced opinion.

______

I don't think anyone here is saying a 16 year old should have a chip so their crazy parents could tell when she was smoking in the boys room. However for a 6 year old kid who climbed the fence in the backyard when his uncle wasn't watching (like I used to) so he could pick berries in the neighbors yard, it could be very useful.

Bben makes some very good points. The technology isn't there yet and this kind of thing is actually very rare. But even if it saved a 1000 kids or a hundred I doubt you could convince those childs parents their kid would be better off dead because you feel uncomfortable with some quasiOrwellian technology that isn't hurting anyone.

Heck, think of how many children could have probably been saved in northern Japan if officials could pinpoint exactly where they were? Or how about the mentally ill who may wander off and get into trouble?

I'm not saying anything of this type should ever be used in adults or mandated. But for a parent of a child from 0-14 years it could be lifesaving.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@marharth, I wouldn't post in a discussion about being a soldier and tell them how simple aspects of their job should be or how easy certain things should be for a black person, because I don't have any experience as a soldier or being black. Posting on something like that would make me come off as some armchair intellectual who thinks the problems in the world are easily solvable if only people would listen to my obviously (in)experienced opinion.

______

I don't think anyone here is saying a 16 year old should have a chip so their crazy parents could tell when she was smoking in the boys room. However for a 6 year old kid who climbed the fence in the backyard when his uncle wasn't watching (like I used to) so he could pick berries in the neighbors yard, it could be very useful.

Bben makes some very good points. The technology isn't there yet and this kind of thing is actually very rare. But even if it saved a 1000 kids or a hundred I doubt you could convince those childs parents their kid would be better off dead because you feel uncomfortable with some quasiOrwellian technology that isn't hurting anyone.

Heck, think of how many children could have probably been saved in northern Japan if officials could pinpoint exactly where they were? Or how about the mentally ill who may wander off and get into trouble?

I'm not saying anything of this type should ever be used in adults or mandated. But for a parent of a child from 0-14 years it could be lifesaving.

14 it a bit to high.

When I was 10 I wasn't stupid enough to wonder off and talk to random people. I would say that it should be mandatory for a chip to be removed if the child requests it to be removed at the age of 10.

Assuming there was a small GPS chip that could be implanted, I wouldn't mind much if other parents did it. As I said it makes sense.

I personally would not do it for my kids since I don't think its a good idea to have a computer chip implanted, if its through a syringe (assuming it could be removed without surgery) that's a bit better but if surgery is required I would never do it.

It seems to me that if surgery is involved to have it put in or removed the risk will be bigger due to the surgery.

I think there would be a higher chance of a child dying during surgery then a child getting kidnapped under supervision.

14 is a bit too high.

When I was 10 I wasn't stupid enough to wonder off and talk to random people. I would say that it should be mandatory for a chip to be removed if the child requests it to be removed at the age of 10.

But you still can't formulate a sentence correctly? In that case it's really not fair to be calling people stupid, such as myself, for sneaking out of the yard and doing things they shouldn't. I was walking down to the gas station and buying candy with my cousin (same age as me) when I was 8. Of course I got paddled after they found out, but that didn't keep me from being adventurous.

Assuming there was a small GPS chip that could be implanted, I wouldn't mind much if other parents did it. As I said it makes sense.

I personally would not do it for my kids since I don't think its a good idea to have a computer chip implanted, if its through a syringe (assuming it could be removed without surgery) that's a bit better but if surgery is required I would never do it.

It seems to me that if surgery is involved to have it put in or removed the risk will be bigger due to the surgery.

I think there would be a higher chance of a child dying during surgery then a child getting kidnapped under supervision.

That is of course your expert opinion, which you've based on your extensive experience or research into fatality rates on out-patient pediatric surgery and child mortality in kidnapping? No? Your just guessing? Ok...

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

14 is a bit too high.

But you still can't formulate a sentence correctly? In that case it's really not fair to be calling people stupid, such as myself, for sneaking out of the yard and doing things they shouldn't. I was walking down to the gas station and buying candy with my cousin (same age as me) when I was 8. Of course I got paddled after they found out, but that didn't keep me from being adventurous.

That is of course your expert opinion, which you've based on your extensive experience or research into fatality rates on out-patient pediatric surgery and child mortality in kidnapping? No? Your just guessing? Ok...

I wasn't calling you stupid, I don't know why you assumed my comment was directed at you.

What was so terribly wrong with my sentence that you had to address it?

As bben said kidnappings are not common at all, and when they do happen it rarely turns out bad.

Surgery requires drugs that stop pain that have caused death before, and if a surgeon messes up it could very easily be deadly.

I'm sorry but this is one of the rare occasions when Bben is not all-knowing.

As he was typing his message these stories were appearing in my small town local paper

http://www.middletowntranscript.com/topstories/x65587979/Middletown-man-charged-with-assaulting-daughter

http://www.middletowntranscript.com/topstories/x796073492/Suspect-sought-in-attempted-juvenile-abduction

Many cases of teen missing persons go unreported because inadequately funded local law enforcement tends to assume they are runaways if they can find no other evidence, and solved cases on the doe network show that law enforcement regularly mis-reports data. Many teen missing persons go unsolved and unreported because of these types of errors so they are not included in the statistics.

And just because it's a family member endangering your child should not automatically nullify those incidents from being counted.

Damn lies and statistics indeed.

When it happens to you, and it can happen to anyone, I guarantee your loved one is not a statistic.

Anyway.

You're probably just as likely to be snatched as you are to have complications resulting in death from a routine surgical procedure.

I wasn't calling you stupid, I don't know why you assumed my comment was directed at you.

As bben said kidnappings are not common at all, and when they do happen it rarely turns out bad.

Surgery requires drugs that stop pain that have caused death before, and if a surgeon messes up it could very easily be deadly.

I didn't think you were calling me stupid, but I wanted to point out it's hard to take your opinions or evaluation of intelligence very seriously when you didn't understand what was wrong with your sentence, and evidently still don't. So for future reference, "14" is the subject of the sentence, "it" is a pronoun used in absence of a subject or noun but refers to one. It is redundant to have both in the same sentence. Like saying "Dad he took us shopping". "To" means a direction, "too" means a higher degree, so "we will go to the park" and "the park is too cold". :thumbsup:

"Rarely turns out bad"? This is laughable. The fact that a child has been kidnapped is already "bad". As a parent, even if my child was missing for a day, and then was returned to me with no harm done in the least, I would still seek full legal repercussions for the perpetrator, if not seek justice my own way. So if by "bad" you mean the child as dead, believe me, "bad" is a very relative term.

Yes, surgery does require anesthetic of some form. However, it can often times be localized, which is not dangerous in the least bit. Also deaths occurring from anesthesia have nothing to do with if the "surgeon messes up". It has to do with the Anesthesiologist, and the staff regulating and monitoring the patient's vitals.

You're probably just as likely to be snatched as you are to have complications resulting in death from a routine surgical procedure.

I agree with most of your post. This portion however is, of course, relative to your location and dependent on many factors in one's life. Consider for instance, do you have a mentally unstable ex, do you live in an area with a high crime rate, has your family been involved with criminal groups in the past, are there aspects of your family others would find unconventional... the list of things to consider goes on and on. While I think in many cases you may be correct, there is a lot more to consider than some picturesque, white picket fenced in house with a child sitting happily beneath both biological parent's loving and constant gaze.

I didn't think you were calling me stupid, but I wanted to point out it's hard to take your opinions or evaluation of intelligence very seriously when you didn't understand what was wrong with your sentence, and evidently still don't. So for future reference, "14" is the subject of the sentence, "it" is a pronoun used in absence of a subject or noun but refers to one. It is redundant to have both in the same sentence. Like saying "Dad he took us shopping". "To" means a direction, "too" means a higher degree, so "we will go to the park" and "the park is too cold". :thumbsup:

"Rarely turns out bad"? This is laughable. The fact that a child has been kidnapped is already "bad". As a parent, even if my child was missing for a day, and then was returned to me with no harm done in the least, I would still seek full legal repercussions for the perpetrator, if not seek justice my own way. So if by "bad" you mean the child as dead, believe me, "bad" is a very relative term.

Yes, surgery does require anesthetic of some form. However, it can often times be localized, which is not dangerous in the least bit. Also deaths occurring from anesthesia have nothing to do with if the "surgeon messes up". It has to do with the Anesthesiologist, and the staff regulating and monitoring the patient's vitals.

I agree with most of your post. This portion however is, of course, relative to your location and dependent on many factors in one's life. Consider for instance, do you have a mentally unstable ex, do you live in an area with a high crime rate, has your family been involved with criminal groups in the past, are there aspects of your family others would find unconventional... the list of things to consider goes on and on. While I think in many cases you may be correct, there is a lot more to consider than some picturesque, white picket fenced in house with a child sitting happily beneath both biological parent's loving and constant gaze.

OK ill go ahead and semi agree with you.

Chips are fine for infants and toddlers, I still wouldn't use one on my kid but I find it perfectly OK to do so if you wish to.

I don't think they should be used on teens ever. Someone said that a lot of teen kidnappings are ignored if they don't have evidence because they think it is a runaway. If that is true it doesn't really matter. This is a issue of free will when it comes to a certain age.

If a teen wants to get a chip that's fine as well, but the parent should not be able to make that decision for them.

My sentence was actually correct, let me explain.

"So for future reference, "14" is the subject of the sentence, "it" is a pronoun used in absence of a subject or noun but refers to one. It is redundant to have both in the same sentence. Like saying "Dad he took us shopping". "To" means a direction, "too" means a higher degree, so "we will go to the park" and "the park is too cold". :thumbsup: "

I used "too" correctly since as you said it means to a higher degree. I said "too high" which would be the proper use of too.

"Is" is actually a verb not a pronoun. You said "It" is a pronoun which is true, but I am assuming you mean "Is" because I did not use "It" in the sentence.

The sentence "Fourteen is a bit too high." is correct when used to refer to your previous statement.

Chips are fine for infants and toddlers, I still wouldn't use one on my kid but I find it perfectly OK to do so if you wish to.

I don't think they should be used on teens ever. Someone said that a lot of teen kidnappings are ignored if they don't have evidence because they think it is a runaway. If that is true it doesn't really matter. This is a issue of free will when it comes to a certain age.

If a teen wants to get a chip that's fine as well, but the parent should not be able to make that decision for them.

"So for future reference, "14" is the subject of the sentence, "it" is a pronoun used in absence of a subject or noun but refers to one. It is redundant to have both in the same sentence. Like saying "Dad he took us shopping". "To" means a direction, "too" means a higher degree, so "we will go to the park" and "the park is too cold". :thumbsup: "

I used "too" correctly since as you said it means to a higher degree. I said "too high" which would be the proper use of too.

"Is" is actually a verb not a pronoun. You said "It" is a pronoun which is true, but I am assuming you mean "Is" because I did not use "It" in the sentence.

The sentence "Fourteen is a bit too high." is correct when used to refer to your previous statement.

Do you even read what you type???? You didn't say "Fourteen is a bit too high", that was my corrected version. This is what you said:

14 it a bit to high.

:teehee:

I know this is entirely off topic but I think a greater self awareness of what you say will help you tremendously when debating further topics. Before you post, breath, think, type it out. Then re-read what you just typed, breath, think and fix errors. Then hit the add reply button.

I never said older teens should have the chip, or that it should be forced on anyone, so I'm glad we can agree. After the shock factor I think people would realize that this technology isn't such a bad thing if used correctly.

Do you even read what you type???? You didn't say "Fourteen is a bit too high", that was my corrected version. This is what you said:

14 it a bit to high.

:teehee:

I know this is entirely off topic but I think a greater self awareness of what you say will help you tremendously when debating further topics. Before you post, breath, think, type it out. Then re-read what you just typed, breath, think and fix errors. Then hit the add reply button.

I never said older teens should have the chip, or that it should be forced on anyone, so I'm glad we can agree. After the shock factor I think people would realize that this technology isn't such a bad thing if used correctly.

Well in that case my bad. It was just a typo though.

I suppose if such a chip would exist I wouldn't have much issue with it.

I would still like it to be able to be easily removed at a older age.

I would never agree in this kind of idea that a GPS chip will be inserted on my child’s body. Of course as I parent I am concerned about the safety of my kids. But if I would want to keep track of their location I would never go into them physically because it is very immoral for me. I actually registered my kids to SafeKidZone which allows me to keep track of the location of my kids and it also allows my kids to easily summon for help and ask for an immediate response from friends, family and from the nearest 911 in our during emergency situations. This is the protection I provide to my kids http://SafeKidZone.com/