Shadows of Darkest Soul (An Elder Scrolls RP)

darkedge42392

Dar'Krinji, Fort Floodgate.

Dar had been sitting in the courtyard for quite some time, in a very trance-like state. He knew he was missing out on some fun stuff, but he just wanted to be alone. He heard multiple songs come out of the mess hall, and he sort of wanted to go in, but he couldn't. He just sat quietly, waiting to jump into action.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adrynn Indarys, Fort Floodgate

Adrynn's face hardened even more after hearing the request. He took a step back and looked over Lecuaro and Cassius. Both were waiting to hear what he would say. He could also feel his cousin's eyes on his back. His hand strayed to the leather bound handle of his katana and his face fell into a scowl.

"I shall say this only once, so listen well," he said dangerously, his eyes blazing in a controlled fury. "I do not appreciate the fact that I am being pressured into joining a guild I never had wanted dealings with in the first place. And never never think that blackmailing me could bring anything but death and destruction upon those who did it." His eyes rested on the Imperial, Cassius, boring slowly through the other. "I am a Redoran, always have been and always will be. But, for the sake of my country and its people, I will join the Blades, but only on one condition," he said, glancing hard at Lecuaro and back to Cassius. "Don't you dare and try to control me. I am my own person and I do not take orders from any Imperial, be he the Emperor or no. If you wish me to do something for you, simply ask, and I will. I am a Dunmer, and I am proud of that fact. Once this is done, I expect to be released from Blades' service. Am I understood, gentlemen?" Adrynn asked softly, his eyes resting on the two men in front of him.

He released his grip from his katana and slowly crossed his arms over his chest, waiting for an answer.

Caius Cosades, Fort Floodgate

"Oh yes, you are understood, Adrynn," Caius replied calmly, "it shall be as you say. Neither Lecuaro or I will try to control you, and we won't give you orders."

Then, he pushed off from the wall and strode up to the Redoran, fearlessly meeting Adrynn's blazing red eyes with his own sharp, blue-grey stare.

His voice lowered to a dangerous tone, "But let me make one thing perfectly clear to you. There is a saying amongst us: 'Live a Blade, die a Blade.' There's a reason for that. Dying can mean more than just physical destruction. You join the Blades, and you walk a fine line between life and death. You effectively become two people. Or more. You retain your true identity, yes, but live alternate lifestyles to disguise yourself.

"Breathe but a word of what you know to anyone, and Adrynn Indarys dies. Never forget that. Your exposure means the death of your former self. And before you assume that I say this out of some kind of arrogance and false authority, let me tell you: it happened to me."

He backed away, looking down for a moment before continuing, "You can expect to be released all you want. But it's not as simple as signing a paper, as you'll soon find out."

He then sighed, "That said, I don't think it will hurt to tell you this now - truth be told, I don't have much more to lose. Cassius is my cover name, as you might have guessed by now. My exposure forced me to take that name, and it was quite the event. You may remember that day, Adrynn. Before my 'death,' I was Caius Cosades."

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Adrynn Indarys, Fort Floodgate

Adrynn's eyes were blazing still, his face in a calm, dangerous smile. "It would be difficult for me to do my job, Spymaster, if I didn't tell anyone about what I know," Adrynn said, staring a hole through Caius. "Oh yes, I know who you are, Caius Cosades. It was slow for me to piece together, but who else would command the Blades like this but you? And your tell tale Imperial arrogance tipped me off as well." Adrynn didn't recognize himself. He had never been like this to anyone, but the Spymaster was bringing out the worst in him, and not in a delicate way either. He could feel the rage burning through his blood, and he ached so much to end this man in front of him. He couldn't remember the last time he had been this angry.

"You say I shall live a Blade and die a Blade? Wrong, Imperial. I am Redoran blood, through and through, and I am that first, before anything else. I am only doing this for my land, House, and people. If that weren't the case, I wouldn't be here," Adrynn said, feeling his face hot with rage, trying and just barely succeeding to hold his temper and not lash out at this man who wanted to take everything from him.

"Now, I am leaving before you cause me to do something I might just regret in my old age, Caius. I will see you tomorrow, perhaps," Adrynn said, turning sharply on his heel and storming out of the fort into the courtyard, keeping one simple thought in his mind as he walked.

He's not your enemy. The Nerevarine is.

Velanya Therys, Fort Floodgate

Velanya was abashed at Adrynn's behavior. It was clear that neither the Redoran nor the Spymaster were backing down from their beliefs, and Adrynn was close to the snapping point.

"Excuse me, Commander, I'll be back in a just a moment," she said quickly, turning to pursue her cousin. Caius moved to try and stop her, but then backed away. Velanya assumed he thought it best for her to just leave the Redoran alone - and perhaps he was right. Still, it was possible she could help.

Adrynn stopped at the edge of the courtyard, his hands on his hips as he looked up at the star-filled sky. Velanya jogged up behind him, slowing to a halt a few feet away so as to give him room.

"Adrynn? You alright?" she asked tentatively.

Adrynn Indarys, Fort Floodgate, Courtyard

Adrynn heard a tentative voice behind him and turned around. It was Velanya. He sighed. He couldn't believe how close he had come to losing his anger back there.

"Yeah, I'm fine, Velanya. There's something about him that just irks me, and I don't think it'll end well if I did snap," Adrynn said, leaning against a pillar and crossing his arms. He slowed his heartbeat by breathing deeply, and trying to think about something else. But thinking about something else didn't stop the fact that Caius has very nearly lost his life at the Redoran's hands, and Adrynn had mixed feelings about that. On one hand it would be bad if the Imperial Spymaster lost his life to a Redoran who couldn't control his temper, and on the other, he knew it would only bring him grief in the long run.

"I don't know what it is, but he knows how to infuriate me. But, I'm fine now, cousin," Adrynn said, stepping off the pillar and coming close to Velanya. He laid a hand on her shoulder and smiled softly, but the smile didn't reach his eyes. His thoughts were still on Caius, even though he knew that he should be thinking of something else.

What am I going to do about it?

Velanya Therys, Fort Floodgate, Courtyard

She fiercely took Adrynn by the shoulders, looking into his eyes, "No, you're not fine. You're letting Caius get to you for no reason at all."

Velanya shook her head, "Caius may have sensed that you value the lives of Dunmer...and Redoran Dunmer at that...more than the other citizens of this province. I'm not saying that you do, but that may be what Caius detected from you. The people come first, even we legionnaires know that. Not the House, not the guild, not even the Emperor, but the people. Whoever they are. Bolvyn Venim's fate is a prime example of what happens when the House comes before the people. It doesn't end well.

"Listen to me, Adrynn. We're all victims of circumstance, here: me, Edward, Lecuaro, you - and yes, even Caius. He was simply warning you that once you go down this road, there is no turning back, no matter how much you want to. And we're all being shoved down this path, whether we like it or not."

She pointed to her tattoo, "This is a constant reminder of the life that I have chosen...that's why I got it. I'm forced to see it every time I look in the mirror. Do I regret the road I've taken sometimes? Yes. Do I want to go back in time and fix some things? Hell, yes. Can I do anything at all to change it? No. Same goes for my Blades membership...and yours, too.

"Caius himself trained the Nerevarine. And the Nerevarine inadvertently ruined Caius's life by blowing his cover. Now, the Nerevarine has betrayed him. Can you imagine how he's feeling? Lashing out at him and the Empire might not be the best way to go right now."

She sighed again, releasing him. Velanya then put her head in her hands and rubbed her weary eyes, "Look, if I can be friends with a Temple Ordinator, surely you can get along with a Blades Spymaster."

Lecuaro Sulnair Marczon - Fort Floodgate

Lecuaro stood silently, observing the heated exchange between Caius and Adrynn. He knew Adrynn would respond something like this...and his spymaster friend wasn't helping things with his "matter-of-fact" approach. He watched Adrynn storm off into the courtyard and Velanya going after him after telling him she'd speak with him later. He turned to Caius, who was standing as stiff as a board.

"You know, you're not the only one who's fighting inner demons right now, old man. We've all got plenty of our own, especially considering recent events. I know you must be upset about the Nerevarine betraying you like this, but you think it's any easier for a veteran Redoran warrior who witnessed his power firsthand and believed that he was a savior to take this blow?"

Lecuaro walked up to Caius and stared him right in the eyes, his gentle, almost grandfatherly hazel irises glinting in the torchlight. "There'll be plenty of time for venting frustrations later if you really must, but right now, as you told me earlier in my office, the Emperor needs us as leaders. Not vengeful fools pursuing stupid personal vendettas."

Edited by SoulofChrysamere

Caius Cosades, Fort Floodgate

Caius met his old friend's eyes, and found a paternal firmness there that took the wind out of his sails. He sighed heavily, leaning against the stone wall, his head on his arm.

"I know, Marczon. I just felt...attacked. That's all. And, I'm sure he did, too."

He looked out to the courtyard at Adrynn and Velanya, who were headed back inside. Turning away, he said, "I'll apologize to him on the morrow, when he's had time to cool off. For now, I'm going to bed. I'll pick up Edward on the way. You might want to look after Velanya, and then Kriak and Dar."

Without another word, he returned down the corridor to the mess hall, meeting Edward just inside the door - he was sitting on the hard floor and leaning back on the wall, his eyes closed.

"Alright, Edward. I can lead you to the bunks, if you're ready."

Edward Wildeve, Fort Floodgate, Mess Hall

Edward opened an eye at Cassius's approach, he released the tight grip he had on his sword. Edward could hear the furious words being said between Cassius and Adrynn and had been preparing himself to move should he hear the unsheathing of swords. He figured his presence would only add to the tension should he have gone in before that, and achieve nothing useful.

And now Cassius was offering to take him to the bunks. Edward got himself up quickly enough and, taking his sword in his hand accepted Cassius's offer. He watched him suspiciously though, unsure of what the fight was about, hearing only the muffled voices. Edward decided Cassius was a man to be watched, and watched carefully.