Shadows of Darkest Soul (An Elder Scrolls RP)

darkedge42392

Lecuaro Sulnair Marczon - Fort Floodgate, Blades Safehouse

"I'm ready if you all are." Lecuaro said as he finished selecting some last minute gear from the storage crates. He strapped a few extra daggers and a reserve shortsword to his waist. He then inspected his armor for any deformities, but detected none. Lastly, he equipped a few fire sticks. "I'd like to know where the hell Kriak, Dar'Krinji, and Edward are, though...but oh well, guess we press on without 'em."

"My magic and sword are all I need." Mercando said as he tucked a couple fire sticks into his robe.

"And my bow and arrows and fighting knives are all I need." Cheriana added as she took the last unclaimed bag of spark beads

==========================================================================================================================================

Serrabinashiah Masseribalit - To The Urshilaku Camp

Serrabinashiah didn't respond to Velanya -- partly because she didn't know how to respond, and partly because she was sick of all the pessimism that seemed to constantly haunt her. She hardly needed its company since she was a natural cynic herself. She had really been hoping that her new Legion companion would be more upbeat and positive. Beggars can't be choosers, so the old saying goes.

About an hour or so had passed since they'd left the fort, and suddenly, Serrabinashiah heard a gut-wrenching sound.

"N'Wah!" yelled a cold, raspy voice from over a small hill off to the left.

"Get down!" Serra yelled as she instinctively unshouldered her bow, nocked an arrow, and ducked behind a tree.

==========================================================================================================================================

Relbren Edmontere - Ald-ruhn Under Skar, Sarethi Manor: Sarethi's Room

"House Redoran is preparing for war." The simple statement resounded inside Relbren's mind several times over. It wasn't very often that he got to hear or even read what was written on the letters he delivered. He took a seat in a nearby chair to try and take a moment to digest what he'd just heard.

He looked up as the guard he'd startled just a moment ago extended a small pouch of gold toward him. Gingerly, he accepted the parcel and tucked it inside his robe. Not thirty seconds later, a group of guards charged into the room with who was probably the one he threw off the balcony outside at the head. They locked onto him and started to approach, but a sharp bellow from Sarethi halted them.

Sensing that now would be a good time to leave, Relbren rose and readied his warping spell.

"Thank you for your time and the money, Archmaster. And don't worry about that guy on the floor, he'll be fine in a minute or two." He said as the magical light enveloped him. A second later, he was gone.

Erondil - Fort Floodgate Hallways, To Nenalaamo's Office

As the trio made their way to Nenalaamo's quarters, the awkward silence began to unsettle Erondil. He'd always been a curious sort, sometimes too curious, as his story of how he joined the Blades illustrates. If only he'd passed by that merchant's stall a few seconds earlier...

"If you don't mind my asking sir, what business brings you here? I don't imagine a Temple Ordinator would show up at an Imperial fort without a very good reason for doing so." The Altmer asked, finally succumbing to his urge.

Edited by SoulofChrysamere

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dar'ji'ra, The city of Tear [Dres], Docks {Nightfall}, South-East Morrowind

It had been a lengthy journey. Months had passed traversing the high sea around Blackmarsh's southern coast for Dar'ji'ra to finally arrive in Morrowind. A long and terrifying experience. She had heard about daring ones who had used vessels to venture over large stretches of water but being in the daring role she didn't feel as comfortable.

The ship she had boarded carried 'no regular passengers'. In fact, judging from the heavy chains around their necks, feet & hands it was more than obvious for what reasons those people were going to Morrowind. Slaves.

She would have liked to free at least those who were of her own kin but circumstances didn't allow for her to take decisive action. So she spent a good portion of her time aboard the vessel in the shadows... lurking, stealing of the slaver-guards rations since the slaves' rations consisted of fishbones and other food leftovers that looked like as even a mudcrab wouldn't dare to eat them.

- Malnourished and therefore short on temper Dar'ji'ra had grown unobservant throughout her journey and was stumbled over once by an unusually ugly orc who immediately took her for an escaped slave and started yelling...

Orc: "HEY, YOU! STOP! NO SLAVES OUTSIDE YOUR PENS!", he shouted, spitting drool into Dar'ji'ra's general direction.

Green ones. They smell worse than they look which is already dreadful. ,she thought to herself as she took a crouching position. The orc drew closer in a menacing speed and posture.

He spoke again: "I TOLD YOU TO -...", his sentence came to an aprubt stop.

Dar'ji'ra had jumped him throwing him on his back, grabbing his throat with both her hands. Then she kneeled on his chest and steadily increased her hand's force to keep the orc silenced. She could feel him raging and saw the uncontrolled berserk madness come up in those dark orc-eyes. A few short struggling moments later he orc fainted only for his unconscious body to be committed to the unforgiving and harsh sea. -

No... she had not liked her trip at all. I'm going to do something awfully cruel to that Alfiq if I ever see him again.

The slaves were "unboarding" but it seemed they were considered rather goods than people. Dar'ji'ra was hanging from the side of the ship overwatching the operation and counting people that left the ship's innerts. Many of the slaves in a terrible state, her brethren Khajiti were missing ears & large patches of fur and even the Argonians looked raw & parched.

67, 68, 6... The stream of people from the ship ceased.

Dar'ji'ra wondered Still a few missing... I can't imagine they'd want to stay any longer on that rotten...She had no time elaborate that thought.

Shortly after the last person *worth money* had left the ship the crew started cleaning out as it seemed. Among regular filth Dar'ji'ra thought she had seen body parts or whole bodies that is. Everything mindlessly thrown into the harbour bay. She never had been a spiritual or religious Khajit but this seemed more than desecrating. Even the lizard-folk deserve better. It slowly dawned on her why this city is called Tear among her kin.

She waited another endless hour, the remains of other people floating beneath on the water's surface. As it finally looked like the ship was completely deserted, the crew was hanging about in the next tavern, Dar'ji'ra jumped from her clinging position onto the brick-built pier.

It sure felt like ages for her since her feet had felt solid ground. She had thought it to be a pleasant experience but the ground was cold and hard.

The whole harbour-area of Tear was well-built and heavily fortified. Grey carved rock formed most of the walls that stood about sixty feet tall and started already outside the city, halfway engulfing the harbour itself. No harbour-warehouse? That's odd. The whole place looks rather like a prison than a merchants' place...

And a prison of sorts it was indeed. The city's whole economy was based on slave-trade and even though some rebel-factions in Morrowind had been succesfully sabotaging single facilities, releasing quite a number of slaves into freedom, commerce for slave-traders was still booming.

Especially behind the fortified walls inside the city numerous overcrowded pens stood side by side. Still Dar'ji'ra had seen none of this but could well smell the stress and fear that lay heavy with the salty sea air.

Her appearance would surely leave an impression on the local folk and she could very well imagine their first reactions when asked for a place to stay.

Can't get too much better. Grounded on foreign soil. "Make contact with one of our brethren, he or she will introduce you to the local habits." And what would those be? Sitting tight locked up in cage? Not quite an option for her vivacious nature.

As she overlooked the harbour-area again her view fell on a number of smaller slave-cages each one dwelling with a person. Much to Dar'ji'ra's delight the cages in which the slaves were held were only sloppily guarded by a half-asleep Dunmer. That looks rather promising. She scampered over without much complication to see that fortune was on her good side again since there were some other Khajiit in chains who looked up as Dar'ji'ra approached. One of the

*to-be-sold* Khajit slaves leaned through his cage's bars and started whisperingly yelling ...

" Psst! SHHHH! Oi! YOU! You are not from around here. I can smell you! And you smell like home... My name's Ra'Jirr. C'mon, come over!"

Dar'ji'ra moved over and stood next to Ra'jirr's dwelling place.

Ra'Jirr: " You are not in chains!? Free me brother! I'll make it up to you. "

Dar'ji'ra: " Are there any more of our brothers and sisters in there with you? "

He paused for a moment looking over his shoulder. It felt strange to him that a Khajit of Dar'ji'ra's size would go unnoticed around Tear. It just wouldn't fit his mind. By the time he could answer some more slaves had stood to their feet and there was quite the commotion on the way.

Ra'Jirr: " We are plenty. As you can see. "

Dar'ji'ra: " Indeed, I can. "

A new plan had sprung into Dar'ji'ra's mind. If the local habit seems to be selling people as slaves. I will just oblige the Mane's orders. She would simply go ahead and requisition some of the slaves for her own use. And since there were that many imprisoned already outside here at the harbour, she guessed nobody'd miss a few stragglers that went missing during the night. The Dunmer guardsman had noticed none of the conversation and was still merrily sleeping leaned against his lance. And neither did he realize how Dar'ji'ra picked the key from his belt. The slaves, nervous from the prospect of freedom, grew unruly. Dar'ji'ra needed to hurry after she had opened a few cages and convinced a bunch of about five people to play along as her decoy...

Ra'Jirr: " And what about the other cages? "

Dar'ji'ra: " We can't take them all. Neither guards nor the slaves. "

Ra'Jirr: " You give me that key. "

She did as she was asked and passed Ra'Jirr the key. He then looked around moved a few cages further, reached inside one of the cages and passed the key to an Argonian, much to Dar'ji'ra's displeasure as she neither liked nor trusted people that had scales for skin.

Dar'ji'ra: " Why give the key especially to that ... guy?! ", she asked in a reproachful manner.

Ra'Jirr: " He will know what to do with it, always mumbling something of a lamp and some ..twins.., I think. Although passed out most of the time, when he was clear and awake he made quite some sense to me. "

Dar'ji'ra mentally shook her head. An Argonian who knows what he is doing? Lamp and some twins? Another case of skooma-delirium if you ask me.

She urged her party to hurry. There was no need for them to stay for any longer.

She didn't fancy to prolong her role as a slave-trader for any longer than necessary. Already she felt irksome & stained from her voyage. The last thing she needed to put up with was more mental filth of her own or of that of whom she just freed.

Their paths wouldn't share direction for too long...

Edited by Sarogath

Caius Cosades, Fort Floodgate

Caius then wordlessly proceeded to wind his way through the halls of the Fort, headed for the western gate. He listened to the soft clink of metal plates as he walked. It felt odd wearing heavy armor again...it reminded him of his younger days in Cyrodiil, when strength and prowess were a higher priority than stealth and honeyed words. Right now, he would give anything to have those days back.

The Spymaster glanced backwards at the company who followed him. They were such a small group, facing an unknown number of foes in a place most of them had never come within a mile of. He wondered briefly if they even stood a chance, but then he shook his head.

No. They had a mission to accomplish, and by the gods they would accomplish it. Such was the way of the Blades.

Velanya Therys, The Ashlands, to the Urshilaku Camp

Velanya readied a shockbloom spell at Serra's warning and glanced around for something to get behind...

...nothing but that stupid dead tree that the scout had already occupied.

"Damnit!" the legionnaire hissed, flattening herself into the ash as an arrow whizzed by her head. She unleashed her spell in the general direction of their foes and rolled to the side, smoothly unsheathing Frostfang in the same movement. Azura's brand in her palm began to throb as her temper rose in frustration.

Faeryn Sethandas, Fort Floodgate Hallways, to Nenalaamo's Office

The Ordinator cast a sly glance at the Altmer, "As I believe you Imperials say, 'Curiosity killed the cat.' Regardless, your question is legitimate. To put it simply, I was sent for. I was told I was needed, and so I came. I'm assuming you know Velanya Therys?"

Adrynn Indarys, Fort Floodgate

Adrynn followed Caius wordlessly, his mind turning to the task at hand. In just a few short hours, they would be at Kogoruhn. He didn't know what he would find there, but he knew one thing: they had to succeed. There was no other choice. If they failed, then all that they loved would be swept aside in a furious tide of crazed Dunmer out of the Wastes. Adrynn clenched his left hand harder. Azura's brand throbbed briefly as his anger throbbed though his body momentarily. Then it faded into a cool determination. They would not fail. Adrynn wouldn't allow it.

Garila Indarys, Indarys Manor, Bal Isra

Garila stood on top of the watchtower once again this morning. Her dreams of late were disturbing her, and she didn't like what was being shown to her. Her deep red eyes glanced to the North, to Adrynn. She was worried about him. She hadn't heard anything from him now in two days. She knew his duties would keep him busy, but she still liked hearing from him just to know he was safe.

Adrynn, be careful, love.

From behind the dead tree, Serra took aim at one of the two bowmen that remained on the hill while their fellow pair armed with crude chitin cudgels charged downward toward Velanya. Suddenly, an explosion of lighting ignited right behind the sprinting Ashlanders and they fell forward onto their faces, their bodies violently shaking from the electricity arcing through them. The light from the spell had also temporarily blinded the archers, and Serra took the opportunity to send her arrow into the left one's chest. The Dunmer stumbled backwards and fell with a sickening cry.

Serra returned to cover and readied another arrow. After drawing it back, she popped her head out from behind the tree trunk to observe the status of the lone remaining Ashlander. He was looking over to the left, likely in Velanya's direction judging by the fact that he had his arrow ready to fire.

Lecuaro Sulnair Marczon - Fort Floodgate Hallways

So here they were. One of the most unlikely hodgepodges of people ever assembled together was about to conduct a raid on the most heavily fortified of the ancient Dunmeri strongholds on the island. Adrynn Indarys, the fierce warrior, leader, and Redoran loyalist. Caius Cosades, covert agent and speech bender extraordinaire. Mercando, staunch friend of the Blades and the Imperial Legion and possessor of the greatest talent and ability that he had seen in any battlemage. Cheriana Mondasten, daughter of the legendary yeoman Fehryld Mondasten of High Rock and, alongside her brother Hebiert, inheritor of her father's archery skills. And last of all, himself: Lecuaro Sulnair Marczon, senior Legion commander and intermediate Bladesman, remarkably gifted tactician, and holder leadership skills forged in the fires of personal hardship and experience. Most of them had been chosen by one Daedric monarch or another to play their part in the already well-underway game for their respective puppetmaster's own ends. They faced odds that people of lesser mettle would deem hopeless and impossible, but that was what set them higher than their contemporaries. They were made of tougher if not always nobler stuff. What their subordinates viewed as impasses, they viewed as new challenges, new opportunities to test the skills instilled in them through birth and training. Kogoruhn, surely only the latest in a long line of frightening obstacles to come, was waiting. Waiting for them...waiting to see if they truly deserved the backing of the Daedric lords.

Before long, the team was at the western gate. The sun, still in the midst of its morning ascension, seemed to hold a new gift for the battered old Breton that day as he glanced at it and then at the illumination it gave to the courtyard in which they stood. He watched as all the people that were present turned toward him and his teammates and saluted. So Nenalaamo has already sent out the news. He was brought to the point of tears, but held them back. There would be time for emotions later; now was the time for action.

The gatekeeper solemnly raised the gate and the group passed through in silence. Only one thought occupied Lecuaro's mind at that moment. This is it...this is really it. He would have looked at his brands from Hermaeus Mora had he not fully equipped himself in his armor. It felt a bit strange with his helm on again since he rarely wore it around the fort. His thoughts then drifted to fond memories of his early years as a legionnaire as he heard the groaning descent of the gate behind him.

Cheriana Mondasten - Outside Fort Floodgate

No sooner had the gate closed, that a loud masculine voice sounded back from the fort. They all whipped around to see who it was, and Lecuaro almost immediately spied a waving Hebiert Mondasten standing on the roof of the gatehouse.

"Be careful, sis!" came the cry.

"I will, Hebbie!" Cheriana yelled back.

Her eyes watered slightly as the party resumed its march. "Mara preserve us..." she whispered.

Erondil - Fort Floodgate Hallways, To Nenalaamo's Office

"Fair enough." Erondil replied

A short time later, they arrived at Nenalaamo's office door. Erondil gave the door a brisk rapping.

"Come on in." said Nenalaamo's voice from beyond.

Erondil opened the door and the trio stepped inside. Nenalaamo's attention immediately gravitated toward the Indoril armor-clad figure accompanying the Altmer and Orc. An Ordinator? In this fort? The officer waited for them all to get seated before speaking.

"I sense that this is a matter of a rather unique nature if it warrants a Temple Ordinator coming to a Legion fort, serjo..." Nenalaamo began.

Velanya Therys, to the Urshilaku Camp

The legionnaire saw Serra make quick work of one of the archers, and her own lightning spell seemed to have done sufficient damage to the two fighters - but the one remaining archer had a bead on her location and was readying to fire. Velanya quickly brought her leg up and pulled her ebony throwing knife from her boot, hurling it as hard as she could at her attacker. It buried itself to the hilt in the archer's chest, and he fell backwards into the ash dune with a cry.

Looking around to make sure that was the end of the battle, she carefully rose, brushed herself off, and sheathed Frostfang. She walked up to the archer who had taken her knife and removed the weapon from his chitin-clad chest, grimly remembering how she had defeated another Ashlander rogue in the exact same manner only days previous. Wiping her blade off on his cuirass, she called to Serra, "Let's take a look at them."

Caius Cosades, Fort Floodgate Environs

Caius heard the gate lower heavily behind him and couldn't help but feel a bit anxious. The vast Ashlands sprawled before them, completely devoid of friendly life. The only bastion of Imperial civilization was now closed to them until their mission was accomplished.

He turned to Adrynn, grimly nodding to the Redoran warrior, "Right, then. You called this mission, Adrynn Indarys. If you wish to lead from here, I shall follow. In truth, this area is not well-known to me. I'll trust your judgment about the best route to take."

The Spymaster then moved to walk with Lecuaro, noting the Commander's thoughtful expression, "Just like the good old days, eh, Marczon?"

Faeryn Sethandas, Fort Floodgate, Nenalaamo's Office

The Ordinator removed his helm and sheer violet scarf, placing both in his lap. He ran a gloved hand through his red-streaked black hair to loosen it, then focused his sharp ruby eyes upon the second-in-command.

He inclined his head respectfully, "Unique indeed...sir? Forgive me, as I am uncertain of your title." He then produced Velanya's letter from his belt and extended it towards Nenalaamo, "Here. I believe this will explain most of it. That, coupled with your prior knowledge, should suffice . Though, if you do have further questions, I will do my best to answer."

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Nenalaamo - Fort Floodgate, Nenalaamo's Office

Nenalaamo took the parchment from the Ordinator and read through it slowly. His face gradually grew more ashen as he poured over the concise yet profound message. So it IS this bad... -- he thought to himself. After he finished reading it, he folded the paper and put it on the desk. He then scooted his chair further in and leaned forward with his hands folded on the desktop.

"I'm Nenalaamo, second-in-command here at the fort. The commander, Lecuaro Marczon, just recently left the fort on special business." He trailed off for a moment as the full weight of what Faeryn's letter said began to hit him. "This message is very grave...as grave as the situation here as been for the last month or two."

He leaned back in his chair as he continued. "Yesterday, I was with Marczon for a bit and there was a Dunmer woman with him. He called her Velanya. She had only arrived earlier that day, for the same mission in which the commander's involved I'd imagine. If she is your Velanya, I don't believe you'll find her here right now."

"And if I may...I don't believe I caught your name earlier."

After the final Ashlander had fallen to Velanya's throwing knife, Serra exited cover slowly with her arrow still ready. She had a gut feeling that they weren't quite in the clear just yet.

"Let's take a look at them." At that notion, Serra made her way to where Velanya stood over the dead bowman. Then, that gut feeling about not being safe intensified. She paused, tuning out every sound she could to make noises such as footsteps, armor rattling, and weapons clanking more apparent. After a few seconds, from behind a small dune just off to the right, another assailant armed with a metal blade and sporting a full suit of steel armor, charged toward her.

Serra's fear vanished as adrenaline took over her mentality and her bodily functions. Whether he had just now spied her and Velanya or he had gotten cold feet during the previous attack and was now trying to make up for it, it didn't matter now. He was only about ten feet away from the scout, but somehow during the mere couple of seconds she had to respond, she managed to point the arrow at her enemy, focus on the narrow eye slots in the helm with the kind of incredibly-precise vision that only one's will to survive can create, and propel her arrow directly into the left eyehole. The attacker staggered back as a spray of blood gushed from his helm and he crumpled onto the ground, already dead.

While the man fell, Serra dropped her bow and drew her shortsword with her right hand and readied a frost spell with her left. Not sensing danger anymore, she snuffed the frost spell out and restored her blade and bow to her scabbard and shoulder respectively. She then turned back toward Velanya, who likewise had brandished her melee weapon.

Lecuaro Sulnair Marczon - To Kogoruhn

Lecuaro smiled warmly at Caius. "Indeed it is, Caius. It feels a bit strange doing this again after being in a mostly administrative position for a few years." He said.

He then looked at Adrynn. "All right, Adrynn, ready when you are."

Faeryn Sethandas, Fort Floodgate, Nenalaamo's Office

Faeryn nodded solemnly, "I am Faeryn Sethandas, Temple Ordinator and Hand of Vivec. As Velanya's letter implied that this fort is in great need, I am at your service - my skills are at your disposal. There is no need to concern yourself with compensation, as I have no desire for such."

As he waited for the Altmer to respond, he briefly wondered what he was getting himself into.

Velanya Therys, To the Urshilaku Camp

Velanya was surprised by the steel-clad attacker, who Serra expertly dispatched within seconds. The legionnaire sheathed her weapon once more and placed a hand upon to scout's shoulder, "Glad to have you on my side."

Nenalaamo - Fort Floodgate, Nenalaamo's Office

Nenalaamo took a few moments to consider what was happening. This Dunmer man obviously came here for a purpose, and he'd think himself a fool if he turned him away. His remainging here however, would undoubtedly stir up much unrest and quite a few rumors. Still...in spite of these probabilities, Nenalaamo thought it best if he stayed.

The Altmer leaned over the desk as he gave his reply. "Well, I personally don't have anything against you or the temple, Ser Sethandas. I don't think the other men will be so receptive though. If you're going to stay here to help out, we need to figure out a way for you to do so without incurring their ill will."

Serra felt a rush of warmth as Velanya clasped her shoulder and delivered her compliment. Pretty much the only person from which she received any praise at all at the fort were Lecuaro, Nenalaamo, her fellow Ashlanders, and the few staff members and soldiers who had no prejudice against her type.

"Likewise, Velanya." she said sheepishly. "Now about examining the bodies..."

Adrynn Indarys, outside Fort Floodgate

Adrynn nodded grimly to Caius and Lecuaro, spun around to find his bearings, then set off to the Northeast. It would be a short walk to Kogoruhn, and a long fight to get there. He was ready. He had to be.

As Adrynn stepped over the crest of an ash dune, he spied someone in the distance. The tangled mess of black hair and distinctive blade that greeted his crimson eyes made the Redoran smile.

"Edward! Are you coming or not?" Adrynn called out, his hand waving toward Edward.