Shadows of Darkest Soul (An Elder Scrolls RP)

darkedge42392

Nibani Maesa, Urshilaku Camp

The wise woman watched as the remainder of their people emerged from their yurts - Ashkhan Sul-Matuul among them. He was just as weathered and beaten as the rest of his tribe, but the fierceness in his eyes would never die. He strode proudly past the long-empty yurts of his gulakhans, fixing his eyes upon the one who had left them. His people murmured and whispered amongst themselves as they gathered around the two visitors and the wise woman.

"Serrabinashiah. You have returned to us," he said simply, echoing Nibani's words, his voice dry and his tone sharp, "Why?"

Nibani, too, addressed the scout, "Yes, Serrabinashiah. Tell us why you have returned, and with an Imperial outlander, no less."

Velanya Therys, Urshilaku Camp

The legionnaire noticed the hostility of the tribesmen towards Serra and was shocked that they would treat her so. Their tones angered her.

She was tired of her act. With one fluid movement, she tore the armored robe from her body, exposing her Imperial Legion armor, which glittered blindingly in the noonday sun. There were shocked gasps, and even threatening growls. Velanya placed her hand firmly upon the hilt of her sword.

"Take care how you treat my friend, Urshilaku," she spoke, her voice ringing throughout the camp, "we Imperials protect our own."

Edited by AurianaValoria1

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serrabinashiah Masseribalit - Urshilaku Camp

Serra's heart sank deeply as Velanya whipped off her great robe and revealed the heavy Imperial steel underneath. Now the truth was before her kin's eyes. She had willingly led an Imperial soldier to the most devastated of the four tribes...her own tribe, and through Velanya calling her "our own", the Urshilakuans were also informed that she herself was a legionnaire now as well. Serra bit her lower lip and tried mightily to fight back the tears gushing from her tear ducts. Through choked sobs and sniffles, she managed to articulate her response.

"I came simply because I wished to see how my tribe was faring...and Velanya wanted to come along. I was...I was just so worried. In truth, I was hoping you had moved inland to escape the constant fighting out here...but I knew that you'd never do that." When she finished speaking, Serra found herself no longer able to stand. She sat on the ground criss-cross style with her rugged Kagouti horn wrapped in her hands.

The wise woman watched and listened as the scout replied to her and the Ashkhan's inquiries. Nibani was silent, waiting for Sul-Matuul's response. She already knew that his words would be harsh, bitter, foolish...and telling. She was just waiting for him to fall into her trap.

"So, you decided to check on us? Good. You've seen us. And now you can turn around and go back the way you came - back to your Fort and back to your friends. Outlanders and Imperials are no longer welcome here," Sul-Matuul answered, his voice grating and cracking, "and they won't--"

"You forget, Sul-Matuul, that the Nerevarine was an outlander," Nibani interjected, "An outlander who saved us all from the Devil Dagoth Ur!"

"Ah yes, Nibani, he was...and where is he now, hmm? Where is the protector of our people? Gone! He is no Nerevar! For what incarnation of him would abandon the Velothi and leave them to rot? An outlander was our downfall, and you let it happen, wise woman. You told them to 'follow the Moon-and-Star,' and look where it got us."

"Did I? Did I? Who was the one who told us to listen to the False Nerevarine's pawn? Who was the one who let the imposter into this camp? Who was the one who let all of our warriors run off with him?!" Nibani spat, "And now look at us. We can go on no longer. If anything, we should be begging for the aid of the Imperials! Above all else, survival."

"We do not need their help!" Sul-Matuul retorted, "We need the help of no one!"

"Don't we?" the wise woman put her hands on her hips, snorting in disgust, "That's not what you said to the foreigner who offered us food and water after our guar herds disappeared, now was it?"

After that, the two leaders fell into rapid-fire Aldmeris, wildly gesticulating as they both deflected blame. She could no longer understand the conversation, but she had already learned a lot from what was said before. And something told her that that very thing was the wise woman's intention - the truth had to come out, now and in front of everyone.

Velanya looked down at the sitting scout, who seemed to be falling into a deeper and deeper state of despair. The louder Nibani and the Ashkhan argued, the more agitated the surrounding tribesmen became. One little girl even began to cry.

That's it.

"HEY!" Velanya shouted, stopping the two's argument in its tracks as they both looked at her. She then placed her hand firmly on Serra's shoulder, "Tell them what happened at the Fort, Serra. Tell them what the prisoner told you. We need to get to the bottom of this."

Serrabinashiah Masseribalit - The Urshilaku Camp

Serra wrested away her depression enough to stand again. With difficulty, she began her account of the past half-week's happenings at Fort Floodgate.

"Three days ago..." she began, "...Fort Floodgate was attacked by an enormous group of Ashlanders. They were easily a thousand strong. There was also some bonemold among all the chitin though...mercenaries maybe, I don't know. We drove them back, but they returned the next morning and beset us again. We defeated them again and to my knowledge, they haven't returned. Two of the warriors from the second attack were taken prisoner, and one of them was Urshilakuan. He had a rare amulet that read 'Above all else, lies survival'. Earlier this morning, me and my companion here decided to journey back to this place both to follow up on the amulet's clue, and so I could see how you all were faring myself."

Serra had matched Nibani's gaze all throughout her recitation, but now she faltered. Her tribe had dwindled so much in just a few short months, and those few that remained were openly hostile to her for the most part. She was not inclined towards anger at all, but she couldn't help but feel a slight sense of betrayal. What's that old analogy? Like a double-bladed sword?

The wise woman cast a sideways glance at Sul-Matuul, who stood silently with his arms folded across his chest. His mouth was a thin line, his lips pressed tightly together.

"So, they are on the offensive, now. How many of our sons have we lost to such a foolish endeavor, I wonder?" The Ashkhan's anger had subsided, and now his tone reflected sorrow. He hung his head for a moment, then returned Nibani's gaze, "If they have finally taken the fight to the Imperials, then they have a right to know what part we played in it. Tell them everything, Nibani."

The wise woman nodded, "Very well. Several months ago - not long after you left us, Serrabinashiah - something happened to our guar herds and our water supply. The stream-beds we once frequented dried up, and our guar simply disappeared. At first, we suspected that they had been stolen. After a while, though, we began to think they had been killed.

"We began to suffer. Our hunters ranged farther and farther out to find food, but they were unsuccessful. Finally, though, we seemed to get a break. When the moons had come and gone, perhaps fourteen times, a messenger came into the camp with a letter from the Nerevarine...or so we thought. The letter stated that the Hortator was coming with food and water to relieve us, and with a mission for our people that was imperative to our survival. The next day, the supposed Nerevarine arrived...with an army at his back."

She sighed before continuing, "Sul-Matuul and I knew something was amiss. The man was armored from head to toe and refused to remove his helm. Although his arms and armor were marked with the Moon-and-Star, we did not feel he was who he said he was. Unfortunately, we could not awaken our star-struck young men from their dreams of glory. The imposter offered all the food and water our tribe could ever need...in exchange for our warriors to serve his cause - a cause he said would liberate the lands of the Velothi from the Imperials. Naturally, our hunters and Gulakhans could not refuse such a tempting and glorious offer, and they immediately left with him to Kogoruhn.

"As you can see, the so-called Nerevarine didn't live up to his end of the bargain...and our fears were confirmed. This man was not the Nerevarine. He had cleverly fooled our enthusiastic sons into leaving us for a fight that would surely destroy them. And, according to your story, Serrabinashiah, they have been."

She closed her eyes momentarily, saddened by the tragedy, "I made fifteen of those amulets not long after our guar went missing, and I gave them to fifteen of the warriors as they left. I knew that most of them would never return. But how was I to stop them? How could Sul-Matuul stop them? They were young, brash, and full of bloodlust. And they left the lives of their mothers and daughters to the empty promises of a liar."

Sul-Matuul shook his head, "And where is our Moon-and-Star, now? Our true Nerevarine? Why has he left us to this fate?"

Velanya absorbed the wise woman's story, and things began to click. Most importantly, it rang true with the prisoner's tale, meaning that Adrynn and company were indeed headed to the correct place. It was a relief to know that they were on the right track, but it was also frightening. And above all, it was confirmation that their enemy was an imposter...albeit a clever one.

She hissed as her palm suddenly began to burn with a horrible intensity. She jerked her gauntlet off of her hand and flexed her fingers, watching the shimmering black brand. And then, an idea struck her.

Follow the Moon-and-Star.

Velanya looked up at Sul-Matuul and Nibani, then held up her hand for them to see the brand of Azura upon her palm, "Maybe you don't need him right now...maybe this Moon-and-Star is good enough."

Serra turned around to see just what Moon-and-Star about which Velanya was talking. When she saw the legionnaire's hand held up with the mark of Azura on its palm, she nearly fell over. The other Ashlanders were chattering wildly amongst themselves. Serra assumed they were talking of either accepting this new symbol or killing its bearer as another false Nerevarine.

Serra then turned back to Sul-Matuul and Nibani Maesa. She was certain that whatever their responses would be...they wouldn't be without an inkling of hostility.

The legionnaire heard the whispers of the tribesmen...some full of awe, others tinged with anger. The Ashkhan put a hand to the chitin war axe at his belt, "What is this trickery? The Urshilaku may have been fooled once, but they shall not be fooled again!"

"Silence, Sul-Matuul!" Nibani hissed. She stepped closer to Velanya, a smile playing on her lips, "This was what I was hoping to see." She carefully took Velanya's hand in her own. Nibani's hands were not unlike leather - rough and calloused. She touched the brand tentatively, and Velanya felt a sharp pain. Nibani noticed her wince, and seemed to experience some modicum of pain herself, as she gingerly rubbed the finger that had come into contact with the black mark. Her brow furrowed for a moment, and then she nodded...as if she were certain of something.

The wise woman jumped up with surprisingly youthful vigor onto a large boulder, so she could see everyone in the camp. "Listen to me, Urshilaku! Last night, I danced for the Lady of Twilight and was granted a vision! Azura showed me the way to safety, and the way to vengeance!"

There were shocked murmurs throughout the camp, but Sul-Matuul was not so enthused. He was studying the ash between his feet, as if trying not to listen to Nibani's words.

"I saw a fortress," Nibani continued, "a stronghold that had been wounded...its walls badly damaged. From this fort flew a dragon, black as night. Its heart was the eye of Azura."

She pointed at Velanya, "Look upon her face and see the dragon! Her eye is its heart! And she has flown forth from the towers of the Fort of the Flooded Gate, whose battlements have suffered grave wounds. There can be no doubt. We must look to the Imperials for aid and shelter, for they are guided by the Queen of Dusk and Dawn! We must follow this warrior and Serrabinashiah to a new haven. They are our only hope."

Some of the Ashlanders responded with outrage, others with excitement, and still others with utter confusion. Sul-Matuul reached for Nibani's arm and pulled her from the rock forcefully, "What nonsense is this? Has Sheogorath finally claimed your mind?"

The camp dissolved into a babble of arguing and shouting. Velanya suddenly realized what Nibani meant. She wanted her and Serra to lead them back to Fort Floodgate. The wise woman knew that the only way she could ensure her tribe's safety was to trust them with the Legion. It was either that, or stay here and die of starvation.

She looked at the scout, her face full of worry, "Serra, what do we do? Should we take them back to the Fort? There's no way they can survive out here anymore. How can we convince them that they need us?"

Faeryn Sethandas, Ordinator Barracks

"Arvana! Dralora!" Faeryn barked, walking down the hall of the barracks with purpose, "I need to talk with you! Teres! Edril! Dovor!"

He made his way into the bunk room and kicked the foot board of one bed, "Edril! Get up at once, there's no time for sleep now." The Ordinator who had been sleeping in that bunk awoke with a start, reaching for the weapon under his pillow, "Wha-"

"Arvana! Oh, there you are, good. Where's Dralora? Dralora! Ah, there she is. Teres! Dovor!" Slowly but surely, each Ordinator in question appeared. The females, Arvana and Dralora, wore their distinctive long skirts, their helms tied to their belts. Edril pulled his shirt on over his head as the brothers Teres and Dovor entered, both carrying their recently purchased lunch.

"No need to shout quite so loud, Faeryn," Dralora remarked, rubbing her ear, "what is it?"

"You know how you five told me you would do anything for me after what I helped you with last year?" Faeryn asked.

They each nodded, their eyes widening.

"Well, the time for repayment has come. I need all of you to report to Ghostgate immediately," he said.

"What?"

"Not Ghostgate!"

"Why there? It's perfectly safe and has been for -"

Faeryn held up his hands to silence them, "Look. I've been informed by a very reliable contact that there is a significant threat developing in the Ashlands. I've been told that it could possibly attempt to utilize the Foyada Mamaea in order to access the southern portion of Vvardenfell. Ghostgate is extremely undermanned at the moment, and it will not be able to handle such a threat should it present itself. I'm trusting you five to hold the fortress if something happens. If you want more details than that, ask the commander upon your arrival. I don't have time to explain it all. Time is of the essence. Go now."

They looked one to the other, then scurried to collect their things. Faeryn smiled. He knew he could count on them.

Serra stood thoughtfully for a long while after Nibani posed her question. It must have been nearly half an hour, but not one soul there dared to break the heavy silence. She was dismally weighing the different responses consenting would invoke. Would they immediately attack us if we neared the fort or would they take us in? Will these people here even swallow their pride and come with us in the first place?

Finally, Serra spoke. "Wise woman, Ashkhan, all the rest, this place where you live is now dead. Completely dead. There are no animals or plants, and the water from the sea will only sustain you for so long. How long before you either die of starvation or at the hands of this Nerevarine imposter's forces? Whether you want to realize it or not, you're being used. The only safe place left is Fort Floodgate, where you can rest and recuperate, and then move further inland and away from all this." Serra then hooked her thumb back at Velanya as she finished. "Velanya here might not be Nerevar incarnate, but Azura wouldn't brand her for nothing. You've been looking for a way out of this. Perhaps this is your only real chance."

Edited by SoulofChrysamere

The legionnaire watched as the tribesmen reluctantly nodded to one another. It was deathly quiet as they all absorbed Serra's words. She was right, of course.

Ashkhan Sul-Matuul, too, nodded. He met Nibani Maesa's gaze momentarily, then addressed the camp.

"Very well. We will leave for Fort Floodgate, with Azura's blessing. Gather together what you can carry and what you wish to keep. Burn the rest."

As the tribesmen suddenly dispersed to do the Ashkhan's bidding, Sul-Matuul himself approached Serrabinashiah. He placed his gnarled hands upon her shoulders, "I am putting all of my trust into you and your friend, Serrabinashiah Masseribalit. I am but an old man, now, and I cannot protect my people with axe and shield. I'm counting on both of you to lead us all to safety."

Velanya smiled at the Ashkhan, "I assure you, sera, that you will all make it to Fort Floodgate unharmed. By my honor, I swear."

Sul-Matuul exchanged looks with Nibani Maesa. The wise woman stepped closer, "It is not wise to make promises that you do not know that you can keep. But we thank you for the sentiment, nonetheless."

She turned towards her yurt, "Come with me, Velanya and Serrabinashiah. There are some things that I shall need help carrying, if you would be so kind."

Serra wordlessly followed the wise woman into her tent. It was as modest on the inside as it was on the outside. A small fire in the middle warmed the bare walls and small pile of animal skins over to the side. Serra paced the floor for a bit while Nibani rummaged through her belongings.

"Things sure have changed a lot since I left." Serra said.