Shadows of Darkest Soul (An Elder Scrolls RP)

darkedge42392

Shaie Ta'Rah - Molag Mar Underworks

The city of Molag Mar was a familiar stop to pilgrims seeking the remote shrines nestled in the foyadas of the Molag Amur region. The shops of the Temple District often bustled with activity. Sailors, merchants, and travelers passed to and fro along the docs. There were even a few well-heeled travelers who sought out the Armigers of the waistworks to procure rare glass weapons and armor. Fewer still were those who sought out the lower level of the city known as the underworks. It was a no-mans land. A dimly lit den of iniquity, and it was here that Shaie felt most at home.

The air hung heavy with the smell of grime, blood and the filth of the sewers, Snarls echoed off the stone walls of the makeshift pit, within which two large durzogs fought furiously. Shaie sat at a small table in the corner of the chamber. Her left hand was on the table, fingers tapping the rough wood. Her right hand laid across her lap on the hilt of her katana as it often did when she was stressed. She had been uneasy of late and knew not why. Making her way down to the pit had been a last ditch effort to shake the feeling of uneasiness that had plagued her. It had not helped as much as she had hoped.

With a sudden yelp, the smaller durzog fell to its side, spasming twice before it lay still. The larger beast had snapped it's neck with a sudden bite and twist, ending the fight decidedly. Shaie's face showed neither pleasure nor surprise. Her animal had won of course, as her animals always did. All that remained was to collect her winnings for the night. She should have felt triumphant, elated. Seven hundred fifty septims was a nice payday for anyone in these parts. Shaie did not seem to notice, lost as she was in her own thoughts.

Downing the rest of her sujamma in one swift motion, she gained her feet and began making her way to the makeshift desk to retrieve her payout. The burly and heavily tattooed imperial looked her up and down with his one good eye. His other was milky white, lost in some long ago fight over who knows what.

"Shaie." he spat. "You really gotta start taking a dive once in awhile. People are gettin scared. Bets are low. No one wants to tangle with you."

"Sure Tolus. I'll be sure to pass that along to the durzog next time. Take a dive and lose the match. Sure you'll die, but at least people won't be scared."

Tolus rolled his eye and sighed. "You know what I mean. You win too many and people start to talk. It ain't natural."

"I win because I go the extra mile. I track the big dogs to their dens. I don't bring in sick runts just because they were easier to catch."

"Look, you're good. And people know it. All I'm saying is..."

"Just give me my money, Tolus. I'd like to be on my way." Shaie folded her arms across her chest and waited.

Perhaps sensing that he was in a losing battle with her stubbornness, Tolus counted the septims into a leather satchel and tossed it to Shaie without further comment or eye contact.

"It's always a pleasure, Tolus.."

Tolus grunted something unintelligible and waved her off with a large meaty hand. It didn't really matter. Shaie had already turned and was making her way down the darkened corridor at a quickened pace. The thick pads and fur on the bottom of her feet muted the sound of her footsteps leaving little to be heard but the swish of her cloak as she moved swiftly along. It wasn't long before she heard an additional sound, soft boots on cobblestone matching her stride step for step. Closer now, closer. Coming up quickly...

She spun with incredible speed, a glass throwing knife clutched tightly in her right hand. Her target was larger and stronger though, and a loud CLACK was heard as their bracers connected, chitin on steel. Her strike was true, she only lacked the strength. The tip of her dagger stopped mere inches from the mans left eye.

"One day Borias, you're going to get yourself killed." Shaie looked up into his steel gray eyes.

He looked down at her thoughtfully for a moment. "We need to talk."

"Okay. So talk."

"Not here. Curious ears have the annoying habit of mistaking the business of others for their own."

"So my place, then?"

Borias nodded once, and they were off. Seeing him hadn't calmed her mood at all. In fact, by the time they reached her chamber she was more on edge than ever.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adrynn and Garila Indarys, The Broken Sun, Top Deck

Garila poked her head out of the hatch to see how everything was. She scanned the deck quickly. A crumpled chitin corpse lay on the port side of the deck, slowly draining blood everywhere. Adrynn lay against the railing, his eyes closed and his sword across his lap. Garila was up the stairs in a heartbeat. She crouched next to him, opposite Lecuaro. She glanced up quickly and noticed the Imperial Cassius, who everyone seemed to favor calling Caius. She peeked over the deck and noticed a massive mountain of a Nord accompanied by a small, slender Dunmer woman. She was puzzled. Where did those two come from?

Adrynn groaned and opened his eyes. Garila swam in front of his vision. She turned her attention backed to him instantly.

"Are you alright, Adrynn?" she asked, her worry evident in her voice. He nodded before grimacing.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Got hit by a crossbow bolt," he said, pointing to the stub of the bolt still lodged in his armor. He realized the throwing stars the pirate had thrown at him were still in his armor. "Huh. I forgot about those," he said, rubbing a finger against the sharp steel.

Garila sighed, pulled out her dagger, and promptly dislodged the two stars from Adrynn's armor. He winced as she put her hand on his chest to pull the shuriken out. His ribs were still sore. She noticed his wince and narrowed her eyes.

"Cuirass off. Now," she said, starting to undo the leather straps. He helped her as best as he could from his sitting position, till she pulled the armor off. She ripped the tunic off and ran her long fingers over his lean torso. She could see the large dark bruise where the bolt had struck. She felt along his ribs and could feel the small dent where his ribs were still cracked. She sat back on her haunches and sighed.

"What have I told you about trying to heal broken bones?" she said with a disapproving look.

Adrynn groaned. He really didn't want to hear this again. "I know what you've said, but this needed it."

"Yes but-" she started. He waved his hand and looked up to Lecuaro. "Commander, let them aboard. It's only fair we give them a lift since they did help."

Garila crossed her arms. "You know I'm going to have to rebreak your ribs, right?" He nodded miserably. He wasn't looking forward to it.

Lecuaro Sulnair Marczon - The Broken Sun, Top Deck

The passing of battle brought Lecuaro's attention back to the long slice the mage's ice spike had left along the back of his head. He sheathed his katana and quickly knitted together a healing spell in his fingers. Once ready, Lecuaro pressed his hands against the wound and kept them there to stitch the skin back together while he addressed Ulfgar and his companion.

"I suppose you're in luck, Ulfgar. We are indeed headed to Molag Mar. And I think you've earned a ride there by helping us deal with these bastards." Lecuaro said.

After testing the repair, Lecuaro quit the healing spell and waved Ulfgar and the Dunmer woman forth.

"I reckon we've earned our passage out east after all, Caius." Lecuaro said dryly.

Ulfgar, aboard The Broken Sun

"Well, thank you very much, Breton," Ulfgar said, "Though I don't suppose I could get your name?"

Ayra

Ayra watched the situation. "So far no questions," she thought to herself.

She dug into her pocket and took out her last Potion of Concealment and frowned. She'd get another 12 hours at most with the potion effects lasting, and then that was it. She supposed she could risk it. Ulfgar certainly thought so at any rate. After all, Molag Mar was less than 12 hours from here via ship. They should be fine, and then they'd slip away once they made port.

At once, Ayra moved up and climbed aboard the ship.

Caius Cosades, the Broken Sun, Top Deck

The Spymaster sheathed his katana wordlessly, still studying the two newcomers with his sharp, blue-grey eyes. The Dunmer had yet to say her name, and he didn't think it was just because she was shy. He resolved to keep an eye on both of them...unlike Adrynn and Lecuaro, Caius was not so trusting of strangers, despite the fact that they helped them. Too many times had supposed friendship been a cover for something else...

Adrynn and Garila Indarys, The Broken Sun Top Deck

Adrynn grumbled and sat up against the deck's railing. He could see the look on Garila's face and didn't like it at all. He barely noticed when the Dunmer lass came onboard, but felt the whole ship pitch slightly as the great Nord climbed onto the deck. Adrynn glanced at the Dunmer woman and felt his brand flash momentarily. There was something to her. Something she was trying desperately to hide. The look on her face was one of boredom, but there was something in her eyes. Something that made Adrynn clench his fist over his brand.

"Alright, here we go-" he heard, before he felt his newly mended ribs snap again as Garila drove the heel of her palm into them. He couldn't decide whether he wanted to scream or black out. He did neither, but clenched his hand tight around the handle of his sword and gritted his teeth. He remembered that he didn't want to break his teeth, so he grabbed a scrap of his tunic and stuffed it in his mouth to bite on. He could see the determined yet worried face of Garila above him. She nodded after he did and pushed the two broken ribs back together and heal them with a quick spell.

"Ow," was all he said before closing his eyes.

Shaie Ta'Rah - Molag Mar Underworks - Private Chambers

"Wait here, I'll be a moment." she said, unlocking the door and slipping quickly inside. The narrow opening only allowed a sliver of dim lantern light inside but it was more than enough for her heightened senses. Her eyes scanned the abode cautiously, pupils dilated to the point her eyes were almost black. She moved through a doorway to the back room silently, half crouched, eyes and ears scanning her surroundings. Nothing was amiss. There was a single bed flanked by a night table and a footlocker, an old bookshelf full of several dusty hard bound volumes, and a large table with two chairs in the center full of alchemy equipment and reagents. For several seconds nothing moved. Then, without warning someone was behind her.

Invisibility potion was all she had time to think as she rolled to the side.

The assassins blade caught the end of her cloak. She heard the ripping of material and the grunt of her attacker as he drove forward. Shaie didn't have time to think out a solid battle plan. There was only time to react, and her body knew exactly what to do, what it had been trained to do. She finished her roll with a half turn and flung her right hand upward in a diagonal arc. Two green blades flew from her grasp and buried in the dark form now bearing down on her. She heard him grunt once more and had time get her left arm in front of her face as he struck again, this time digging a deep gouge in the chitin bracer she wore. He was moving fast and his momentum carried her backward into the bookshelf, splintering wood and sending dust and papers flying. Teeth bared, a deep growl building in her throat, Shaie squared her shoulders against the back of the bookshelf and pistoned her legs outward. The figure moved back several feet letting out a sharp cry of pain, however the expected counter-attack never came. Instead, her attacker dropped to his knees and slumped over. Borias stood over him with a drawn and bloodied Akaviri katana, a curious and thoughtful expression on his face.

"You've become quite popular I see." he said while lighting the lantern hanging in the center of the room.

Shaie hooked the claws of her right foot in her would-be-attackers shoulder and rolled him so he was face up. Black armor, vision enhancing goggles, didn't play well with others...

"Dark Brotherhood" she sighed.

"Quite popular indeed." Borias repeated, sheathing his sword. He turned a chair back on its feet and sat down. "You know what this is all about, I assume?"

Shaie let out another sigh and shook her head. "I don't know. Maybe. Tolus said something about people being upset about my winning streak. I doubt that it would come to this, though."

"People tend to get touchy after losing large amounts of gold." He replied in a matter of fact fashion. "Perhaps several of them pooled their resources and hired an assassin. Passed the hat around, so to speak. I wonder if the Brotherhood takes on Class Action Murders..."

Shaie plucked the two knives from the body and took the seat opposite Borias. "So you came all this way to have a laugh at my expense, or...?"

Borias looked at her for another moment in silence. At last he took a deep breath and began speaking.

"The well of the Emperors patience is deep, but it is not infinite. Your actions of late do not reflect well on him. He thinks it may be time for change in tactics."

Shaie looked up at him, eyes flashing. "I live beneath an obscure city on a sparsely populated island in a province on the edge of the empire. Why does the Emperor even waste time being concerned with my activities? Surely there are more important matters which require his attention?"

"You are an Akaviri agent, and a highly trained one at that. To not have a profound interest in your activities would be the height of foolishness. The Emperor is many things, a fool not being one of them."

"Then why not just arrest me and be done with it? Let me rot in some dungeon hidden away from the world?"

"As I said, the Emperor is many things. He has visions. He knows things that others simply do not. You still have a part to play in this world. A very important one, it seems."

Shaie rolled her eyes. Her tail had begun to twitch left and right in agitation. As a condition of her residence she had been placed under the watchful eyes of the Blades, personal servants and protectors of the Septim line of emperors. Some of them, Borias for instance, took their job to a whole new level. It made her feel like a bug in a jar.

"Free time does not seem to agree with you well at all." He continued. "Therefore it is my opinion that what you need is something to do. A Job."

"I have a job already" Shaie snapped.

"Yes, you run a protection racket, extorting money from pilgrims so they don't get attacked while visiting local shrines. Money that you then use to bankroll a rather successful, albeit highly illegal, durzog fighting operation. It's quite top-notch, really." Borias sat back and steepled his fingers in front of his chin. "I'm not here to berate you or attack you, Shaie. But this behavior simply can't be ignored forever. It's time for you to step up and show your worth."

"My worth." She repeated. "And what exactly would that be? I've never met your Emperor Septim. What makes him think I have such high potential? This whole situation drives me insane."

"Your sword." was his reply. "May I see it?"

An unsure look passed over her face, but Shaie unsheathed the Ivory Talon and handed it across the table to Borias. He supported it by the hilt and blade, slowly turning it this way and that.

"An exquisite piece, to be sure. The engraving, the balance, craftsmanship" Borias flicked his wrist, holding the blade at arms length. The eyes of the carved tiger head pommel glowed a pale blue. "This material here, for instance, What is it?"

"Stalhrim." she replied, feeling a twinge of pride. "From Solstheim."

"Lovely. As I said before, the Emperor knows things, sees things. I know this: This weapon took not only skill, but discipline and focus to create. The person who made it is exceptional indeed." With this he handed the Talon back to Shaie.

"That person hasn't been around for a long time. I don't know that she even still exists." she replied in a quiet tone.

"You have to find her. It is imperative that you do so." Borias pleaded.

Shaie looked up and met his eyes. For the first time that evening he wore an expression of worry. Maybe things had gone too far. Maybe it was time for a change. Borias wouldn't have that look in his eyes if the situation wasn't truly dire. She swallowed once and furrowed her brow in thought. After a few minutes lost in thought she looked up at him once more.

"Two things." she answered. "One: tell me about this job you want me to do, and Two: could you take that out as you go? My maid service won't be around again until next week."

Borias glanced over at the dead assassin on the floor and grinned in spite of himself.

Ayra, Aboard the Broken Sun

Ayra stood on the top deck, watching as the ship started to gain speed, and enjoyed the light breeze whipping across her face. She liked the smell of the ocean, she had always found it soothing to her. But as she sat there enjoying the breeze, she looked around at the people onboard the ship, and decided to survey her surroundings; one can never be too careful.

The first thing she noticed was how diverse the people here were. Three Dunmer like herself, a Breton, an Imperial, and now a Nord no less, an odd party indeed. What surprised her even more was how well they all seemed to get along. The Dunmer who had been shot with a crossbow was sitting there, talking to the Breton man like they were brothers. Another of the Dunmer was clearly a member of the Imperial Legion, a female like herself, yet here she was, not being judged, but just one more member of what seemed to Ayra to be a well put together team. As she continuted to look around, she noticed the rather older looking Imperial, Caius, assuming she remembered correctly what the Breton had called him, watching her from a distance.

Not that she could blame him; had the situation been reversed, she's sure she'd've been doing the same exact thing. Though if truth be told, she wanted to get off this ship, probably much more than even he himself wanted her off, so atleast there was some agreement between the two, even if was unaware.

And then, quite suddenly, Ayra's crimson eyes widened in surprise. That man, he was carrying a rather unusual looking katana, and she recognized it instantly: it was the same kind of katana that her father had used, all those years ago.

"But what does this mean?" She thought to herself. "Probably nothing....just another coincidence."

As Ayra continued to sit there, thinking and observing, a sharp burning sensation shot up her back, and she nearly doubled over in pain.

Ulfgar, aboard The Broken Sun

Ulfgar sat around, glad to be able to reach Molag Mar without having to walk. He didn't like having to rely on magic to get somewhere, too many bad experiances for him. He looked over to see how Ayra was doing; he knew it might have been better for them to walk, but he'd protect her if anything happened, just like old times, he'd never let anything bad happen to her, she's been through too much.

As he looked over, he saw her nearly collapse on the deck, now down to one knee, obviously in a lot of pain.

"You okay?" he whispered to her.

Velanya Therys, the Broken Sun

After the fighting had stopped, the Nerevarine sank into a deep slumber, the effort of fighting off Dagon's influence becoming too much for his mind and body to handle. Velanya stood and moved away from him, swaying precariously out of her own exhaustion. The lurching movement of the ship did not help matters at all, and she stumbled clumsily into one of the wooden supports, smacking her shoulder into the wood with a pained grunt. Her palm pulsed uncomfortably, and her legs felt like those of a newborn fawn.

Finally, she managed to clamber up the stairs of the Broken Sun to the top deck, pushing open the hatch with a dazed expression. Her cousin was bare-chested and unconscious, being tended to by his wife. Caius was leaning nonchalantly against the railing of the ship, his arms crossed atop his chest. Lecuaro appeared to be off in his own world. And there were two new faces...another Dunmer woman and a Nord. Velanya assumed that these two had helped in some manner and were tagging along for the ride.

Suddenly, the new Dunmer woman dropped to one knee, as if in pain. Velanya approached slowly, "Are you all right?"

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Lecuaro Sulnair Marczon - The Broken Sun, Top Deck

Lecuaro had been lost in his own thoughts for a moment. He had been contemplating the fortune the group had received when Ulfgar and his Dark Elf friend had suddenly appeared from the water and ended the last two pirates in quick fashion. Velanya's klutzy exit from below decks snapped him back to reality, however, and he immediately noticed the new Dunmeri woman kneeling in agony.

Seeing that Velanya was tending to her, he headed on over to the captain on less than stable legs of his own, intent on securing their new friends' passage.

"Well......I think we all and our two new pals have earned our trip to Molag Mar after all, shipmaster." He asserted.

"Damn right y'all have. That was ugly." Arteso readily agreed, still amazed that his impromptu guard escort had not shrunk any during the battle...and had even grown by two.

Lecuaro simply nodded and returned to where Velanya and the other Dunmeri lady were.

"She hurt?" He asked as he crouched down beside the two elves.