Start Your Own Vault

Lucario911

I know, maybe this kind of topic was created once before, but it baffles me how it hasn't been done yet.. :P

As you can see above, it'd be cool to be able to create my own vault. Where would the cave (or door, if you'd rather have it placed outside instead of fallout 3 style), you may wonder, well.. I guess similar to RTS or Wasteland defense.. Put it in the side of a mountain, side of a factory, etc.. Yes, yes. I know that lorewise, you shouldn't be able to just 'create your own vault'.. Because they're prewar.. But let's be honest, with all the anime ports and custom vaults that people make, is it really all that bad an idea? I figured it would be like RTS or wasteland defense, but in a vault. Random wanderers (That you could rename, if you'd want) would flock to join your vault, and you can give them certain jobs based on their weapon skills, stats, etc, which are totally random. At a higher vault level (via experience with trading and scavenging), you can eventually ask nonessential npc's to join your vault, and they'd be given a higher-than-average skill level.. Of course, you'll have your occasional raider (or ncr.. legion.. etc..) group try to knock down your door and kill everyone in your vault.. Which is why you would have to build defenses inside your vault, like turrets, well-positioned guards (Of course, you'd have to use guards early on.. Turrets would be something you could purchase from a vendor outside of your vault for LOTS of caps..) and even traps that are only triggered by hostile npc's. As for the number of the vault, I guess you can give it your own custom number (or a predetermined number.. If it's too much trouble..) You would have to worry about establishing trade routs and keeping food and water supply pretty high. You'd also have to decide which rooms will be certain rooms (There would be locked doors until you'd buy 'entrance' with caps..) and upgrade them to certain styles, such as prewar, science, etc. For example, say you buy a resident area (for some of your people to live), and the rooms are empty.. You would purchase certain packages (like with moira brown) for certain rooms. It would be cool to assign certain npc's to certain rooms as well, if you'd like to sort them out.. Of course, your vault would look like crap in the beginning and literally have little to not furniture or open rooms, but there'd be the vault entrance area and a hallway consisting of doors with different prices based on their size or type.. Hallways of course would be cheaper than buying rooms... You could also set a certain clothing or uniform for your npc's.. I guess.. :P

Point being, it'd be a cool idea.. While I suck at modeling, coding.. Basically everything having to do with modding.. I AM a good writer, and I'd be willing to write for it, the simple dialog, if needed.. It's just an idea.. Would be lots of work obviously, but no doubt would be popular.

well, it's a nice thought. And I know there is a yearning here for what your asking for.

The problem is ,the talent required to pull it off is not here or is possibly involved in projects that go in other directions.

But you did ask 2 questions. I answered the first one only.

for the second one, you can , you can download and learn how to make mods with the Garden Of Creation Kit.

That way, you choose what you want.

interests here are yours at the moment, may be others might want to join up with you and start a project.

Every thing depends on it's validity, if there is Value in it here.

but Vaults things are getting worn out.

currently involved in VR so I am not free to do much more than patch stuff or make fixes and things, help if I can.

I do wish you luck.

I know, maybe this kind of topic was created once before, but it baffles me how it hasn't been done yet.. :tongue:

As you can see above, it'd be cool to be able to create my own vault.

Yeah it'd be fun.

So one way you could tackle part of it, is by taking advantage of the tile sets you have in vaults. They're made to snap together into contiguous, continuous runs. A modder could place each possible tile piece and disable it, then from within the game you could have a menu (or dialog with a NPC or construction bot) to enable the piece that you want. This would allow you to create the basic outline of a vault. Want a corridor, select it in teh menu, move to the end of tile set, select another corridor etc until you have the length you want.

It's really just a variation of the way most changes to architecture are done in teh fallout world, via the enable and disable function (but with a much wider range of choice). But because you have a much wider range of choice it means the modder has to do a lot more work. S/he has to place all the possible tile sets that might be chosen (disabled) and that's a fair amount of elbow grease.

On the upside, disabled tiles aren't rendered and don't impact performance in any way when they are disabled.

Random wanderers (That you could rename, if you'd want) would flock to join your vault, and you can give them certain jobs based on their weapon skills, stats, etc, which are totally random. At a higher vault level (via experience with trading and scavenging), you can eventually ask nonessential npc's to join your vault, and they'd be given a higher-than-average skill level.. Of course, you'll have your occasional raider (or ncr.. legion.. etc..) group try to knock down your door and kill everyone in your vault.. Which is why you would have to build defenses inside your vault, like turrets, well-positioned guards (Of course, you'd have to use guards early on.

etc...

Sure, it'd be a lot of work to create but nothing game breaking or impossible to pull off. You could also have maintence issues as well requiring specialized quests to repair them. You could have potential subterranean issues like giant ants. You could have issues dealing with the social aspect of a vault (anytime there's lots of people there are lots of problems). Pretty much all the aspects you'v seen from previous vaults as well as new ideas could probably be worked into your vault's story line in one way or another.

It all sounds good ^^ But I'm no modder.. Which saddens me. Even if I downloaded the construction set, I'm not the best at learning the ropes.. I can't code or model, and I can't draw. I'm also very unorganized.. I'm just an idea person who can write dialog and voice act xP It's all wishful thinking.. It'd be nice though~ I've always liked the idea of vaults, and having a nice community inside, away from the harsh wasteland. Of course there'd be dangers, but it'd be my own little city, my home, yea? :P

At the moment...you can't, but in time you will , what makes the difference is ..you need to start.

once you learn small things, it gets exciting...your king or queen of the world until the next thing pop's up.

after a while, you get this feeling you can do almost anything....then comes the bad things...restrictions...placed there for purposes known only to the publisher.

now..at that point, you come and talk to us...we know how to get around restrictions..make the game and the geck do our bidding.

2 mods come to mind that show how far a gifted person can take these restrictions and erase that from existence.

The Devils Wish mod here on the Fo3 nexus and (obscurum-unnatural-selection), these talents were not born over night, but boy can they cook !

there are gifts yet to come from you, I believe that, but you need to start some time.

there are things most have no clues about...99% of this game is shut down....these secrets are dug out as those two mods show...just what can be done.....truly unnatural.

Listened to the interview of these kids ,and they are kids dealing with the Frontier mod, a bold adventure in the making..yes, no one person can do this, it requires effort, and each must learn from the other.

users here see only the results and are awe struck by what can take place...most are confounded as to how this works....but that is it, that's what makes it worth the time to produce products worthy of downloads and discussions.

The android app's " the Shelter "...is a media advertisements to provoke you as it has into getting involved into gaming.

my last word is this...has that advertising worked?

Kitty Black

It all sounds good ^^ But I'm no modder

No worries brother, I probably shouldn't have used the you pronoun, as I was really referring to you, me or anyone that wants to take up the project. A lot of times if it's a complicated project you sort of have to map out how it's going to work. Think of it as a kind of feasibility study where you examine what might work and problems you might face. Then other mod authors and users can help to brainstorm and troubleshoot. That's essentially what I'm doing here.

For instance I forsee some problems with lighting (additonal workloads even if it's just copy and paste) and some fundemntal problems with navmeshing. Navmesh beforehand and NPCs can get caught in the limbo of before the tilesets are even enabled (that's assuming you have a floor to navmesh on), but on the other hand you can't really enable or disable navmeshing, I don't think :sad: Maybe some more knowledgeable peeps can weigh in on the issue.

I can't code or model, and I can't draw. I'm also very unorganized.. I'm just an idea person who can write dialog and voice act xP It's all wishful thinking.. It'd be nice though~ I've always liked the idea of vaults, and having a nice community inside, away from the harsh wasteland. Of course there'd be dangers, but it'd be my own little city, my home, yea? :tongue:

That's OK. The most important aspect of a mod (by far, for me), is the story/idea. That's what really motivates me to do a project. If you can come up with some great ideas that will really fuel me.

The idea itself is actually an old one, you'll see it here and there in teh requests forums. I believe the mechanics can be worked out (maybe within limitations, but with a reasonable degree of freedom). However if they can't soem of the story elements can be implemented in current vaults (like vault 3, vault 34, or if your able to deal with teh spores, vault 22). Sure they'r architecture is already set, but a lot of story elements can still take place there. And who's to say you can find some heavy construction protectrons (or other bots) that can do some additional architectural remodeling.