A thought about Finishing moves

stars2heaven

I was just reading through some threads in Dragon Age about how annoying some of the Death blows were. Not only did I agree, but it made me think of the ones that are supposed to be implemented into Skyrim.

My greatest fear is that they are these long and drawn out things that happen whether you want them to or not. In dragon age, when I was engaging a horde of monsters on nightmare difficulty, I didnt have time to sit and watch the horribly long killing blows. I wanted to move on to the next monster before they killed my team.

So in skyrim, will finishing moves be fast and unhindering in combat? If I have 2 or 3 other bad guys hitting me, will I have to just let them hit on me while the random finishing move plays out on their friend I just killed? Will I have any control over whether to use a finishing move or will it be a random thing that is forced on me?

I was just reading through some threads in Dragon Age about how annoying some of the Death blows were. Not only did I agree, but it made me think of the ones that are supposed to be implemented into Skyrim.

My greatest fear is that they are these long and drawn out things that happen whether you want them to or not. In dragon age, when I was engaging a horde of monsters on nightmare difficulty, I didnt have time to sit and watch the horribly long killing blows. I wanted to move on to the next monster before they killed my team.

So in skyrim, will finishing moves be fast and unhindering in combat? If I have 2 or 3 other bad guys hitting me, will I have to just let them hit on me while the random finishing move plays out on their friend I just killed? Will I have any control over whether to use a finishing move or will it be a random thing that is forced on me?

I don't think anyone other than Bethesda has information about that. But I assume that they have good plans for the moves. But we can also look from this perspective: They are not used to finishing moves in the elderscrolls games and want to make a good impression with good thoughts. But they could also fail since they're not used to it.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Well from what i read about the finishing moves, you will be able to triger them when your enemy is in a weakened state...so basically if you wont use the opportunity they will not be activated..or atleast thats how i understood it it.

Well from what i read about the finishing moves, you will be able to triger them when your enemy is in a weakened state...so basically if you wont use the opportunity they will not be activated..or atleast thats how i understood it it.

I thought this as well at first. I could have swore i read this somewhere, but right before I posted this I went looking for it and couldn't find it anywhere. I think something like that would be ideal, the second best option being that its random but happens so fast that it doesnt effect combat over-all, unlike in dragon age where its like, "all right all right, finish killing the ogre already!"

Edited by stars2heaven

I thought this as well at first. I could have swore i read this somewhere, but right before I posted this I went looking for it and couldn't find it anywhere. I think something like that would be ideal, the second best option being that its random but happens so fast that it doesnt effect combat over-all, unlike in dragon age where its like, "all right all right, finish killing the ogre already!"

Yes you are right i was searching for the article aswell and couldnt find it...im pretty sure i read about it somewhere. This option would be nice...fast finishing moves are good aswell but there are times where you are near death and 1 hit is enough...i recall there was a game (cant remember wich one) that had finishing moves wich, when activated all enemies were waiting...was really unrealistic and looked funny...hope it wont turn out that way :ermm:

See as how bows and arrows especially will be hard to find, and that they are a one shot, two shot kill, I would guess there would be no finishing moves, but possibly a Fallout kind of slow mo kill like from vats.

What would a finishing move for archery look like anyway? It's not like you can add a lot of fancy animations and elaborate moves to the simple concept of 'arrow hits target -> target dies'. My guess is that we'll get something in the line of V.A.T.S. style slow mo, like LordWushin suggests.