Merging Files with FNVedit

omega549

Ive been having a lot of difficulty with FNVedit when I try to merge files using it. I am trying to merge a ESP into an ESM, I change all the ESP formIDs to the ESMs, but when I "Deep Copy Override into" the esp into the ESM it says "the required master "x.esp" can not be added to "x.esm" as it has a higher load order". WTF?

This is how the Manual said to do it yet it wont let me, I followed the manual to the letter in this and still it doesnt work. any help? I am just try to copy one ESP into a ESM, the ESM is required by the ESP as is Dead money, but when I use FNVedit to remove both the masters it still doesnt work, any help?

Ive been having a lot of difficulty with FNVedit when I try to merge files using it. I am trying to merge a ESP into an ESM, I change all the ESP formIDs to the ESMs, but when I "Deep Copy Override into" the esp into the ESM it says "the required master "x.esp" can not be added to "x.esm" as it has a higher load order". WTF?

This is how the Manual said to do it yet it wont let me, I followed the manual to the letter in this and still it doesnt work. any help? I am just try to copy one ESP into a ESM, the ESM is required by the ESP as is Dead money, but when I use FNVedit to remove both the masters it still doesnt work, any help?

Do the new items in the esp first. Select them in bunches then right-click -> change form ID to inject them into the esm. Then select them again and 'copy as override' into the esm. Sometimes there will be an error on some items if the esm doesn't have all the variables in a script that references the new item, or never had the script at all before. In this case I do as much as possible with the new items, then drag changes over from the esp to the esm - especially scripts. Close FNVedit, save and reopen it and then I am able to finish with the new items.

Edit - your not trying to merge an esp into the DeadMoney.esm are you? You could make your install incompatible with all other mods and might make it unusable for yourself too. Besides, I think the newest version of FNVEdit has built-in safeguards to prevent it.

I did exactly what you said, which is what the Manual said, but when I change all the forms from "03" (-because dead money, xxxx.exm, xxxx.esp-) to "02" that goes smoothly, then when I try and "Deep copy as override into" it gives me the , "esp is a higher load order then ESM". I dont know why, when you merge something into an ESM the ESP shouldnt become an master to the ESM???

I have the newest version of FNVedit, and ill say this so you dont think I'm doing this wrong, I did it to the letter of how the manual said to, and what you just said.

It still gives me that message, I tried to do ESP to ESP and I have to change the load order so that say (mod 1) is being copied into (mod 2) well I have to make mod 1 02 in the load order and mod 2 is the 01 for it to work???

Is that file that goes along with the FNVedit working properly, maybe i messed it up?

I dont even care if I can figure this out, would someone like to do it for me? Ill email the mods to you and allow you to do it, the mod is http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40531#fileanchor, it will be the newest version of "Run the Lucky 38" by PaladinRider and myself. you will be credited as with helping to make the mod, any help????

What you are talking about doing doesn't make a lick of sense to me as to why you would need to do something as insane as this sounds. So lets just start with that. What you are doing is the wrong thing. Now that I've said it I can tell you how to do the wrong thing. In the rare cases you need to fix something this way (which is near non-existant) What you would do is to copy the file you are working on an then add the number 2 to the name so you have YourFile.esp and YourFile2.esp Then you take YourFile2.esp an load it with FOMM TESsnip, then I think it's a spell called make esm, basicly the process of making a .esp into .esm Then you would load YourFile2.esm before the .Esm you wanted to override into. Though in some cases you would need a temporary copy of both files as listed below.

MasterFile2.esm

YourFile2esm

MasterFile.esm

YourFile

Your file requires the master file to load, but you want to load your file before that master, then you would need a temporary copy of that master, as noted by the 2 at the end, MasterFile2.esm is the same file as MasterFile.esm but you copied it so you could move that in front of the thing you were working on. However like I said it's very unlikely that you would need to do this. A much cleaner method would be to utilize quarantined overrides to acomplish whatever it is that you wanted to do. That being said let's just start over. What is it that you are trying to do with this mod. Then Why do you need to Deep copy to acomplish that.

The problem just isnt these two files, its every time I do it.

did I install FNVedit in the wrong loacation, Is it supposed to be in the DATA folder, right now I have it alongside the FalloutNV.esm in the actual FalloutNewVeags folder?

What I am trying to do is to merge a dependent ESP into its Parent ESM. But FNVedit wont let me, when I deep copy as ovverride the ESP into the ESM it says that the ESP will become a master of the ESM, and that it cant do that because the ESP has a higher load order then the ESM. WTF? why would it say this...

When I merge a file into another why would the to merge file become a master of the file its is being merged into...????

Ive tried with unrelated ESPs, dependent ones, this happened with FO3edit too.

Im on a Vista, would that change how the program runs.

The manual never said anything about the ESP becoming the Master of the ESM??? so that leads me to think somehow my version of FNVedit is broke, or that some setting in it is wrong.

I havent changed anything in its operation at all, is there some tool in FOMM or another to help fix this?

Edited by omega549

FO3 plug in utility is the primary tool used to merge more than one .esm .esp into one file. It just recently moved over to New Vegas from FO3.

Did you make your mod, make it a master, then create a .esp to add stuff to your mod later on, an now you want to merge those files together?

FO3 plug in utility is the primary tool used to merge more than one .esm .esp into one file. It just recently moved over to New Vegas from FO3.

Did you make your mod, make it a master, then create a .esp to add stuff to your mod later on, an now you want to merge those files together?

yeah thats what I did, though i tried with two unrelated mods and it happened the same, I think I have a way to work it out now, but I'm not sure what is wrong, I dont know if this is because of running it on Vista.