ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Long war disappearing saves

chunkyduff

Played Long war earlier tonight without any problems. Came back to the game a little after midnight and the game hadn't saved after the last mission. I loaded up the last mission save, completed it again and once again it didn't save (though it showed as saving on the game screen). So I manually saved the game but then noticed that the manual save wasn't showing and the most recent of the auto saves was now missing. Any ideas?

I have exactly the same problem as chunkyduff. Yesterday, I played Long War, Beta 15f3-88-b15f3, and both manual and automatic saving worked, however, I stopped playing in the early afternoon. Today, the manual and automatic saving does not work. Tried same steps as chunkyduff and got the same results.

Update 1 - Just started a new game - no manual or automatic saving.

Update 2 - reinstalled the current version over the existing files and manual and automatic saving has started.

Edited by Guest

Do you have a large number (like 100) save files? If so, see the wiki article "Steam and mods" about "Save Files". You may also want to check the "Steam Game Save Locations" thread be sure you have looked at all possible locations.

It might also be what is known as the "beginning of the month bug": Your saves are still there, just sorted incorrectly. Scroll down a bit further and you should see them. (Totally cribbed from TrackTwo's reply in another thread. :pirate: )

Did ANYTHING change on your system between the last saves and the latest that won't? (OS patches or updates, reboots, new Steam Client, scheduled virus scans, etc.)

Otherwise, Long War bug reports should be posted in the appropriate Beta Feedback thread in the "Long War" download page "forum section" for a quick response. (The LW Team has stated they don't check the main forum at all anymore for problems. Really, the dev team is the most likely to be able to help with a LW issue but anyone else who can also will be there.) You may also find that the answer is already known and posted in that section.

Be sure to read the "Readme" and "Detailed Troubleshooting" documents included with the LW download before reporting bugs. They need all the information requested there (including which platform) to be able to help. If they can't reproduce the problem, they can't fix it. You increase your odds of getting help by re-reading included documentation and following instructions on reporting bugs, and then documenting what you have already tried ... in detail. Short "it's broke" reports simply generate requests for more detail; wasting time. Better too much detail than not enough.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Seems my game now just crashes on loading anything ( Error Code: 0xffffffe1 if that helps ). I updated osx from prolly 10.9 to 10.10 and that's been having issues outside of the game. Thanks for the thoughts seems I will just keep searching some way to fix if not save my game to reinstall. If you have any links to troubleshooting how to save games via la steam osx 10.10 you would be my hero dubious :)

@teiresians: If you are having problems outside of the game, focus on resolving those first. Other than backing up save game files to something like a CD, I wouldn't touch the game until the OS is stable again. (Too much chance of corrupting things.)

OS/X (which you probably know is Linux for the Mac) uses different paths than Windows. See the wiki article "Basic Guide to installing mods" under the "Linux Differences" section for those general save game locations. Note that some versions of XCOM for the Mac from various sources have slightly different paths. Your best bet in that case is to look at the "OS/X Mod installation" section and see if you can work out which variation yours is using.

In addition, Steam saves game files in the cloud. Check out the "Steam and mods" article under "Save Files".

You can use your save game files after re-installing the game.

-Dubious-

• 4 months later...