Two's up on a Horse? request.

biosman

I love role playing, and usually only take one main companion everywhere I go,In most cases a female companion for my male rpg char.

it would be awesome if it was possible to have them follow you onto the horse, ie riding tandem. it would help immersion imho.

is it at all possible to do this? if so how would one go about such a great mod?

Real riding is probably impossible, at least there is nothing similar (3 skeleton animation) existing, and you certainly can't do it with Blender.

It would be possible though to make a pose, and force the companion to follow the player in a certain distance and angle. This is done in this "companion on the side" mod (sorry, I forgot the name).

Technically not necessary, but from the immersion point of view there should also be a companion mount/dismount. This can be extracted from the riding one. I just have no idea what the trigger could be to make the companion mount/dismount. (And I didn't say I'll do it :wink: )

Just from an animation point of view, and not in any way implying that Oblivion is capable of doing it ... for multi-skeleton animations, you're probably talking about working in something like 3dsMax. You'd need to create lots of animations - the ones that spring to mind are:

Player mounts first, npc follows

Npc mounts first, player follows

Player already mounted, NPC mounts second

Npc already mounted, Player mounts second

... then the matching dismounts

... then the riding animations as speed of horse changes.

Then, of course, all the ones I didn't think of.

Then you have to script the lot of it, and make the characters do what you want, when you want.

You also have fun when the scale of player and npc varies - imagine an Orc and a Bosmer, and the changes that would make to the animation positions

Edited by MarkInMKUK

I tried doing this a long time ago when I learned how to do animations , and I am almost 100% sure it is impossible to make a double mount system. I have tried everything from adding in new animation nodes and bones , but the engine/horses are coded in a strange way.

thanks for the interest and replies.

I think we can absolutely say that there is no way to have this

dual mount using animations built into a horse model.

i think we need to address the issue via code, and if we can,

code the companion to mount the player, making it appear

as if the companion was mounted on the horse.

gumin, who made the Honda RV500 model does utilize a tandem

system where the companion rides pillion,

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35978

there is only a fixed animation i think, i never got the companion to mount

the motorbike, but spells were used and passed to the companion

you told them to mount the bike, and use the pillion seat,

you then got on the bike and rode it.

he maintains this should be easy to replicate for a horse, but alas...

i am no coder or modder.

It doesn't make sense to modify said Wiki article, since it is a totally different storyboard. The mod could consist of a

- a scripted spell that makes the NPC wait til the PC is riding, then walks to mount position behind the PC, does the fake mount (once) folowed by the fake ride (loop)

- a quest script to get the PC's position and z angle on each tik and calculate the NPC's position (like in the "companion on the side" mod, the name of which I have forgotten. This script could also handle the final fake dismount when the player presses space.

- 3 or 4 idle animations (mount, dismount, ride, ridefast), which can be extracted from the original riding animations). Probably they need some adaption to look more like holding on to the PC than riding.

Just in case someone is willing to do the mod, but has no experience with animations: I would be willing to help. ;)

EDIT: Sorry, biosman, I didn't see your reply before I pressed the Post button. I didn't know this motorcycle mod, but it's probably doing exactly what I described here.