Oblivion Cleanup question

DeadlyPeanut

Just did a fresh install + my collection of mods to replace my old install and giant mess of everything

anyways heres old Vs new wondering if it was worth my effort is there going to be a noticeable change ?

OLD:

Size 16.7 gigs

Files 30,933

Folders 2469

NEW:

Size 12.7 gigs

Files 22,519

Folders 1719

Hope it was worth my effort whole game started getting choppy

Shaved off 4 gigs bout 8k files and 800 or so folders first impressions is that i did improve it, but anyways freed up some disk space and its nice and clean for the time being till i find another mod i want to try :P

One thing to ALWAYS do after a mod install is a defrag of the disk - that makes quite a difference to Oblivion. I use Defraggler (Google for it) and schedule it to run every night to keep things working nicely

Actually, it's better to defrag before installing. That way your new install gets to install itself in a contiguous section to start with. Also, You may have not removed any of your mods at all if you used the game uninstall - it only removes what was originally installed by the game installer, and NO mods or anything else that gets put into your data folder or save games folder.

If you want to do a more thorough uninstall/reinstall

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=240

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

Beat me to it bben. System defrag is good, but not always accurate. I use Game Booster, for the higher end games I play. It has a game defrag section that really works well. Just a thought you might like also.

i didnt use game uninstall well i copied folder sent it to other drive as a just in case i screwed up , then steam uninstall on main folder then deleted what was left behind then copied all my save games emptied that folder and finally deleted the oblivion.ini then complete fresh install of vanilla obliv and all mods i wanted to keep probably cut 10-15 of the ones i had active and wasnt using and at least 50-75 that were in the folder just not active but all the textures were still in there.

I think thats everything might have missed something

and a defragger that runs automatically every night ..... interesting ill look into it i am awful at keeping my drive nice and neat dont think i ever defraged my H drive once ... its 1 TB and almost full it must be ready to shoot me ... but oblivion is in my steam folder on C drive only games i have on my C drive are in that folder

I defrag occasionally should do it more

Steam says the fragmentation of the game is 0% but im pretty sure thats just core vanilla game files mods are probably all over ill run a defrag when i watch TV tonight will take 2+ hrs me thinks

IMHO defragging daily is really overkill. A full defrag is quite a workout for your harddrive and will shorten it's lifespan.

Even for a heavily used gaming computer, once a week is more than enough. Frankly, it's likely that once a month is sufficient.