Normal maping

Gwyvern

i have been slowly working on something to put into the game, and to improve myself i thought id give it a proper texture, including normal maps

well i got the photoshop plug-in and made a normal map for the texture, but it seems to be rather...underwhelming

the normal map seems decent enough in photoshop but when applied, either the normals are barely noticeable or in a state that makes me question weather they are even there or not.

any idea why? (this is viewed from within game)

I use gimp to do my normal mapping, I downloaded a normal map filter off the gimp site which I find to be the easiest way to generate a decent looking normal map. It is as simple as going into filters then selecting normal map, from there you select the scale (depth) and click ok.

For some examples of the normal maps I have made using gimp look at some of the images in my stalker weapons pack, some of the close up shots show the maps in great detail. Gimp is free and available on the gimp web page, the normal map filter is also available from the same site.

In photoshop, try setting the normal map plug-in to use alternate conversion:colorspace with a scale of 3.3 and the alpha field set to height. I also find that reducing the brightness a lot and increasing the contrast a bit before conversion helps with the specular data stored in the normal's alpha channel. Edited by EARACHE42