Problems rebuilding mods on re installed oblivion

stephanos57

Hi, I previously posted about running oblivion really well on a Compaq desktop with 8.1 and integrated graphics.

Unfortunately, I recently suffered a severe power outage and ultimately had to do a system reset.l (long process!!).

I managed to save and recover the last 2 of my saves and have studiously downloaded all my previous mods using NMM download history and NMM. Original NMM not backed up unfortunately!!

i am now experiencing a crash after clicking to load my last save. The save game loading screen does appear.

MY repair method is:

Via NMM:

Activate a mod in NMM,

check all required COBL boxes,

check other required esm boxes,

am have alsO checked SI, knights, latest patch UOP & OOP,

run BOSS (OK i have to trust BOSS in this case)!!!!

then run from OBSE. loader.

I am de activating any mod which causes an instant CTD ie no loading screen.

i am also checking ,in W/B, any mod dependencies and making sure these are active where needed

So far, I have activated 30 odd mods out of over 150 and have the problem posted above.

There are some mods activated which may not have been in th original save game but they appear not to have adversely affected the repair.

I have actually installed WRYE BASH as I read that you can identify the loaded mods for any save game.

I have viewed this but of course it now only lists the active mods from my repair efforts.

I also started a new game OK with some mods activated in NMM

Is there any simple way to try and recover my game to the last save (many hours played)?

Thanks.

Edited by stephanos57

As long as you didn't load the game and save again over the recovered save, Bash will show you all the mods that were in that game. Off the top of my head, it sounds like some mod is missing from your load order. Or perhaps an OBSE plugin is acting wonky. I've had issues with OSR and it's heap replacement algorithms. But I don't know about your issue with any certainty.

Hi Malonn, thanks for the advice.

I may have found an alternative soluttion. I have managed to open the OBSE save file with File Viewer Lite( text view).

This has given me what appears to be the full mod list at the point of the save.

I am now either installing or activating each mod exactly as the load order shown in the save.

I am not using BOSS this time as the save load order was obviously stable and I am just copying it.

On my previous attempt I recall that Bash seemed to show just the mods that I had re activated during my repair. The OBSE save file shows a list which seems to be all mods which which were installed when I lost the game.

Thanks

I have suceeded!!!! If any one ever has a similar problem and needs to rebuild mods based on OBSE/ESS saves here's how.

I use NMM and File LIte Viewer.

open, in text form, the OBSE save with File Lite Viewer.

you will see the definitive Mod/plug in list at that savegame point. It is in correct load order.

ACCURATELY copy all esm/esp entries to paper and proceed to add them 1 by one in order to your NMM load list.

I found the "Download History" option on NMM useful.

I effectively downloaded all my mods to NMM and then activated each one as per the savegame load order list.

Took some time

PHEW.I hope this may be useful

Edited by stephanos57

This is what I do.

I note in Evernote all the mods I have active in a page. Other pages for mods I wanna try, one for quest mods, one for companion mods, one for house mods, etc. And a page for mods I don't wanna try.

WB is the best, I never tried NMM.

MOM is essential to keep a clean vanilla setup at hand, for tests.

I made a post somewhere detailing what I do.