Problem with face texture in Nec's Mystic Dark Elf Remake race

Synthesis

Edited to delete all the other suggestions that weren't going to work.

I just tried to open the Nec Dark Elf Face file in GIMP, and the dds plug-in completely crashed. My end conclusion is that there is something wrong with that file. The file itself, not anything else. I just downloaded it 5 minutes ago, a completely fresh copy, and it won't even open in any program I try. The High Elf face has no problems opening.

Edited by chaospearl

No, I thought that might be it--it really does seem to be local to that one face DDS. That being said, I can open it in Photoshop with the DDS Nvidia plugin, I just can't do anything to change the fact that the file is bugged.

Yeah, it is definitely a buggy file. I don't know the nature of the bug, but there's something wrong with it. Even if you can open it in Photoshop, the fact that Gimp immediately crashes when I try to open it tells me that in some way, some how, some form, that file has an error. Or at least, there is something about it that's non-standard, if not precisely "wrong". All the other dds files from the same download (Nec Dark Elf Remake) open just fine, as does the face dds from the High Elf Remake. It's only that one file, the Dark Elf face, that makes Gimp crash. I'm no kind of digital artist so I couldn't tell you what makes it different from the others, but if you can figure out what the difference is, you're well on your way to fixing it.

Well, I found a solution--apparently.

I took the original Nec Dark Elf face file, opening it in photoshop, and pasted the Nec Dark Elf Remake face image over it, then saved it. I tried the same thing, except using the High Elf Remake as the template, which resulted in the bug....this, on the other hand, worked, to my surprise.

I'm not sure what's different, but I wanted to thank everyone for their help through this nonetheless. Much appreciated for your time and patience.