Want to build a computer

While I'm in the mood. :)

I need a better computer so I was wondering, is there a place or website I can buy a cheap basic computer which can be upgraded easily?

It needs to be built already.

My problem is that money is tight so I thought it would be better to buy parts and add them to the basic computer gradually.

If you are in the US, There are 2 sites I recommend for 'bare bones' assemble it yourself computers

NewEgg, already mentioned by Ashtorgrey. - newegg.com

And Tiger Direct. tigerdirect.com

Look at both before ordering as they may have some deals.

Look for bare bones systems - they can be as simple as a case,power supply and mother board with nothing else, to as complete as Case, power supply Motherboard, processor, ram, hard drive, video card, DVD drive and other parts. However they rarely include things like a monitor, operating system, keyboard or mouse. By getting a barebone, you get the basic computer, then add other parts to complete it.

A barebone kit usually includes all of the small hardware - screws etc needed for the assembly

Or if you lack the technical knowhow you could also check out Xoticpc.com, I'll be ordering a custom laptop from them soon.

That website looks like a lot of overpriced rubbish... No offence.

I got an Xotic PC lappy a few years ago (Sager). Pricey, ok, but it's an absolute MONSTER and their customer service is amazing. One of the cool things about 'em is that they're all modular (I think that's the right word), just like a desktop, so whereas with a lot of cheaper lappies you have to basically chuck the whole thing if it goes south, a Sager is totally repairable. I would imagine that, in the same sense, they're even upgradeable though I haven't had any reason to look into that.

To the OP, if you're considering a used desktop, you could check out Guru3d.com or Xtremesystems.com - a lot of guys on those forums are constantly keeping on the cutting edge and sell their old stuff for pretty good prices. I bought my mom a really nice PC at an awesome price from a 15-year-old techno-wizard on Xtremesystems a couple years back. Both sites have a feedback section so you can check the seller's bona fides before buying. (It's also a good idea to read past posts by a prospective seller, just to get a feel for their level of expertise/ maturity/ honesty.)