Why is this game so glitchy?

animecollectorx

I played NV first, on XBox, and almost tossed it out due to glitches (quest-breaking), although I ended up loving the damn thing and putting over 110 hours anyway... Never played a glitchier game, but never put in so many hours either--liked it more than FO3. Didn't really have many probs with FO3 (a few freezes, nothing quest-breaking), but I was playing GOTY edition, so maybe they cleaned it up.

I'd think it'd be better on PC so you can download mod patches.

Personally for me, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas all ran sweet with standard patches.

Played all three vanilla for hours (usually through main quest first) without any problems.

They only went AWOL when I started playing with modifications.

I am a mod freak and eventually enhance every game but expect and accept glitches until I bottom out any problems.

• 1 month later...

I just did the PC gamer equivalent of throwing the controller in disgust myself. I don't know why, but I can't seem to get 30 solid minutes out of the damn thing without a lockup or a CTD. The odd quest bug doesn't bother me, or at least not as much as they get under my skin in Dragon Age 2, which is more character driven, but the fact that I can't play more than 30 minutes to an hour without randomly crashing for no apparent reason and losing 5-10 minutes worth of progress if the autosave hadn't run in a while.

And each crash happens somewhat differently. So I'm to the point where, after 6 years of bugs with Gamebryo, I don't think Bethesda is ready to even -try- making a new engine. I can't wait to see how buggy TES5 is. /fume

I know your frustration as I have and currenlty have issues as well. None game breaking though.

Skyrim the next game in the Oblivion line will have a new engine, called the Creation Engine. I am assuming that Fallout 4 or whatever it will be called will use this. Let’s hope it resolves some of the bugs.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1144412p1.html

I think the gamebryo engine was decent but was always a bit touchy. As an example I had a video card that was going and it finally died, replaced with a new card and it was much more stable but all other games worked fine, just NV crashed constantly.

I have been fortunate and have had only ctd and no quest stopping issues that I can recall so am pretty happy over all.

My current issue is I added 3 more mods now when I exit the game hangs and never closes. I removed the mods, made a clean save, still does it.

Let’s hope the new Creation Engine will solve some of the touchiness the gamebryo did.

i think it has to do with peoples hardware i have a core i7 920 OCed to 3.55 8gigs DDR3 1600 tri channel and was using a single ATI Radeon HD 5770 and could only stand playing it on medium settings with a lower res or the game was laggy filled with clipping and shader bugs so i moved the card to another PC (AMD based) and installed 2 GTS 450s OCed in SLI and it was a much better even though the HD 5770 was a stronger card i can now play maxed out on 1920 x 1080 res witch is native to my setup

A lot of questions answered real fast.

1. There is no award or achievement for the most mods, 50 100, 150, 200. Less is more

2. Don't ask for help when you have downloaded (illegal) DLC or game, we are just not interested

3. READ the the instructions with the mod, don't have or too complicated PM the author or ask on the forum. Help will always be given, when it's available.

4. WE KNOW the game engine has issues, nothing on earth is going to fix it overnight.

5. Play the game without mods firsts, find out what you want to change chances are there is a mod for it.

6. Spend some time reading about why your game has crashed, you may find there is someone with an answer.

7. Whether you are new or an old hand at Fallout New Vegas make the time to read some of the forums, we spent the time writing them so you can have a better experience.

8. Share, if you have found some thing that enhances the game whether its a simple mod that changes the color of flowers or rebuilds the engine lets us know we love to help to make this a better game for all.