Converting ESM to ESP

KazFoxsen

I'm working on my first mod and want to know if I converted my Master to Plugin correctly. I ran into the right head, white body problem and had to convert my plugin into a master to fix it. I've read that extra master files may cause conflict with other mods (I don't know too much about why), so I just loaded my .esm into FNVEdit, removed the ESM flag, then manually changed the file extension to .esp. Did I properly convert the master into a plugin, or is it a surface change that may cause problems later?

Note: The mod I made just changes an NPCs appearance only, and uses the Ling's .esm for eyes.

You should never change the file extension of an .esm as, unfortunately, its a little deeper than that Also, .esm cannot be changed into .esp, on account of the fact that .esp relies an a .esm to work

Edit: Really, Speedy? I was always under the impression that .esm was .esm and .esp was .esp. Meh. You're probably right.

Edited by TheReverendTholomewPlague

Yes that is how to do it.

If you are only converting your .esp to an .esm when you want to run it in the game than it should be fine.

If you make a mod based on that esm than make sure that it is an esm when you run the game (a missing master will cause a crash) But as long as no other esp has it as a master you should be fine.