Outer space worldspace

SirWethington

Hi everyone! So, this is my first time modding Skyrim. Although by far not my first time modding a game. So I have a good general knowledge of what I'm doing. I just have a simple question. I was wondering if it were at all possible to retexture the world map with an outer space "Starry Sky" texture. I wouldn't need any water or land masses. (Obviously :P) How would one go about doing this? I just had a killer total conversion mod idea that could work through various scripts, however, my first obstacle is creating an outer space world map. So the first step is not going to so well! :D

Oh geez, that's my mistake. I didn't mean the actual Map, I meant the actual world space. I wanted to convert an entire world space to look like it was in outer space. I saw something like it in the Aethernautics mod by TrainWiz but I wanted to create a whole worldspace that looked like it was entirely in outer space. Then use the LOD to create a world "Map" for it. I'm just wondering, is it possible to retexture the sky and everything to look like it's in space? Didn't mean to confuse you. I just chose the wrong word! -_-6

Be aware that my answer to your question is based on the things I have seen. I am by no means an expert on modding this game. (Though I have done some modding of Skyrim and other games)

You may want to check out some of the world spaces used in Dragonborn. The landscape in some of those worldspaces are comepletely different from a "land based" location. Also, Govilku's advice may or may not still be helpful. There are several mods that add/change grass and landscape textures. My guess is that simply using a completely transparent texture would work but there are a few issues with doing this that may not be worked around.

1. What exactly these mods do to change or add textures I am not sure. Some or all may just be texture replacement mods. You would have to find out if these mods actually add new textures in addition to the ones that already exist. I believe that some of them do. However, the extent of those changes (don't forget there are several layers to the ground texture) is not known to me.
  2. The "space" world space is also constant for the whole game. Getting rid of the planets in the space backdrop would apply to all world spaces. (There are mods that replace these textures so replacing them with a simple space texture is possible.
  3. You may not be able to get rid of the sun. You would still have your day night cycle. Again, the only way to avoid this is if the point of your mod is to remove or replace all world spaces in the game. That way you could have a zero length day to get rid of the sun. However, that setting would apply to any place in Tamriel as well. There are a few mods that alter day length but that length exists for the entire world and does not change. I once looked to see if it was possible to script a change in the day/night cycle. If I remember correctly I think I found a few functions that might actually work in doing this. However, I have never tested it.
Edited by primem0ver