I'm thinking of downloading OOO but...

NeonPeanut

I have read the OOO mod wiki and have looked over some of the changes, but the mod wiki is outdated and was not truly informative. Can someone answer a two questions for me, so I can make an informed choice?

1) Is it okay to download OOO and use it with an existing file?

2) What are your personal preferences on OOO? I have heard some people say it is great, and others say it makes it almost impossible.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Do what I'm doing! First get mTES4 which will allow you to very easily install a second copy of your current Oblivion game install on your computer (with all the stuff you have allready downloaded and installed with it). Then, install OOO on that copy only. That way you can try it out, and if you don't like it you still have your old unOOO'd copy to play with.

Also, There's a mod called Fcom that merges OOO with a bunch of other "overhaul" type mods (that's the one I'm going for... cause more is always better! )

Ah, OOO. Makes the game much better. FCOM is a bit of a hassle to install :unsure:

1) Yep.

2) Well, it makes the game better, in my opinion. But I don't like level scaling :P It adds a lot to the game :thumbsup: (And if you install via OBMM, then it makes it that much easier to install and uninstall :thumbsup:)

Thanks for giving me a little more info to go off of. :smile:

Now, going off what I have heard some people say, it seems to make it very difficult to do missions that used to be somewhat easy. Here's an example someone posted before.

"For example, just NNE of the Imperial City there is an Inn on the main road where the bartender asks you to get rid of a trouble-making witch in a cave about 300ft north of the Inn. Small dungeon, nothing special. The zombies spawned by the necromancers were so powerfull that they drained fatigue and regained health faster than I could take it off. I got so frustrated I finally went into God mode just to finish it. There was some treasure, but nothing outstanding, the reward given by the bartender was a few hundred gold pieces, no different than it was without the mod but not nearly enough compensation for the amount of BS the character would go though to get it."

Has this issue been fixed?

"For example, just NNE of the Imperial City there is an Inn on the main road where the bartender asks you to get rid of a trouble-making witch in a cave about 300ft north of the Inn. Small dungeon, nothing special. The zombies spawned by the necromancers were so powerfull that they drained fatigue and regained health faster than I could take it off. I got so frustrated I finally went into God mode just to finish it. There was some treasure, but nothing outstanding, the reward given by the bartender was a few hundred gold pieces, no different than it was without the mod but not nearly enough compensation for the amount of BS the character would go though to get it."

Has this issue been fixed?

That's not an issue to be fixed. That's what the mod does. In vanilla oblivion, at Level 1, all other monsters are level 1, so no matter where you go everything is scaled for your level. However, in OOO (and several mods like it) that is no longer the case. At level 1, there will be lvl 1 monsers running around, but there will also be lvl40 monsters wandering about, and if you run into them you better haul ass or get stomped. The cave in question would be a location like that... if you show up there early, you just won't be strong enough to finish it ( unless you cheat and go into godmode... which doesn't make sense to me because at that point you're just getting the quest done for the sake of getting it done ).

The idea of the mod is to add realism and immersion to the game. In the real world, people and creatures around you don't 'scale' to your ability. If you run into "The Iceman" Chuck Ladell in a bar somewhere and pick a fight with him, he doesn't scale to your level so you can beat him... he just punches you a thousand times while you make your way to the floor unable to retaliate or even defend yourself. Just like if some shmo who took a few archery lessons tries to go toe-to-toe with an archmage, he doesn't start casting piddly little spells, he wastes the guy.

So ya, that/ :pirate:

Edited by redeyesandlonghair

Ok, thank you. I never thought of that. :tongue:

Last question. Is the leveling system really as slow as people say? I don't think it would be very realistic if it took you a week to gain one level of athletics. That would be like saying after a week of running around everywhere you still can't lower your mile time by 30 seconds.

I don't understand why people think OOO is so hard. There is a difficulty changer in the menu, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem if you keep getting killed. Just lower the difficulty or level up and come back. You can also use levelling mods with OOO if you would like. Edited by rhapsodicink

Ok, I now think I'll download OOO. I've already beaten Oblivion before on the Xbox 360, and have been playing around enough on the PC to be able to play normally. To LordFrostcraig, redeyesandlonghair, and rhapsodicink: You are awesome! :happy:

Ok, I now think I'll download OOO. I've already beaten Oblivion before on the Xbox 360, and have been playing around enough on the PC to be able to play normally. To LordFrostcraig, redeyesandlonghair, and rhapsodicink: You are awesome! :happy:

Just don't go past level 25 when using it. I hear the game is a borefest after it.

Just don't go past level 25 when using it. I hear the game is a borefest after it.

Its not necessarily a borefest, more that you can kill everyone in your way at level 50.