odd massive drop in frame-rate, and other issues.

CasperTheLich

just got a new gaming rig, installed a few games, skyrim among them. but first things first, system specs...

OP SYS: Widows 8.1 pro

CPU: 3.7ghz i7

GPU: GTX Titan X

RAM: 32gb DDR4

all drivers up to date, software updated to latest versions, etc.

it's been something like 18 years since i've used a Geforce card, first time i've used windows 8, and first time i've used a 40in 4k uhd tv for a monitor, my old pc just had 32in hdtv. so i'm dealing with a lot of new stuff, or at least new to me.

now i have a half full load order, around 148 mods (my old pc had between 234-254, depending on my mod loadout), i'm curently using loot and nmm (used to be NMM and boss) to manage my mods/loadorder, i am using a lot of 2k texture mods, but i used the same stuff on my old pc and it ran more or less fine, till nmm killed my loadorder, and backups (which is why i started skyrim clean and fresh on this new pc), but that's water under the bridge, or so i tell myself. so basically im running at a resolution of 3840 x 2160 on ultra graphics settings with no enb mods, and a lot of texture overhauls and for the most part frame-rates are quite nice, however, frequently, and randomly (i've even seen it hit in the middle of a loading screen) all of a sudden the framerate goes from idk 60 or so fps to something like 1 frame every 15 to 30 seconds, at first it looks like a lockup or freeze, but after 30 seconds or so it moves by a frame, then 15 second after one more frame... there doesn't seem to be any improvement, i've sat here watching a frame move every 15-30 seconds for like 15 minutes at a time, i've tried opening menus, using the console, trying to save to quit then reload the save, etc. saving seems to be just as slow. sometimes my whole system seems to run a bit sluggish after this occurs till i shutdown skyrim from the taskmanager. there doesn't seem to be savegame corruption or bloating.

i used to use tools like ATTK powerloader, and skyrim configurator (or however it's spelled), though i can't for the life of me find any legit site hosting ATTK for skyrim, nor can i get sc working, basically the window skyrim config uses is so small the tabs don't even fit, and the settings are all mashed together, so it's completely useless, and i've tried toning down the resolution, adjusting any display settings i can think of, fiddling with compatibility settings, the window just stays to small to be useful, and adjusting the window size in the shortcut/app settings doesn't help (that makes the window bigger but fails to un-mash anything).

if i had some clue about the insane frame drop, i would be grateful. though someone said using the insanely high screen resolution + ultra visuals + 2-4k textures can cause crashes and sluggish frame rates, though i'd hardly call this just "sluggish".

Edited by Invisible Man

Make shure you have a display port or HDMI 2 cable to get 60hz.

4k TVs have about a 40ms+ response time. Most monitors have 1 to 5ms. Not an ideal setup for gaming.

4k is new & even a Titan X is not powerful enough to run a modern game at 60fps

Skyrim is an old game & will run just fine with a GTX 970 at 4k without enb. I tested with 4k textures & the 970 did not slow down.

I play Skyim on a 4k monitor with a GTX 980 ti at 2460 x 1440 with ENB at 60fps in the open. I get in to 30s at 4k. I bought a Samsung U28D590D ‑ 28" 4K monitor for it's ability to run at different resolutions. For AAA games like Witcher 3 I play at 2460 x 1440. Old games like Mass Affect & Fallout 3 I play at 4k with ENB.

The 980 ti uses the same chip as the Titian x & I found it very hard to configure. With the inis I used for the 970 & 980 the game was unplayable. It took about 3 weeks of tweaking to get all the bugs out of the Skyrim inis & ENB ins. I gave up more than once only to come back to try one more thing.

Use Skyrim Performance Monitor to see what your hardware is doing when your game freezes. Make sure that you are using the skse memory patch. Even with a vanilla Skyrim you should use ENBoost.

Good Luck & don't give up.

Later

thanx, that looks helpful... if not a tad depressing.

---edit

i set my refresh rate to 30 in the display settings, picked up enbboost and sfuff along that line (and some enb visuals too), and my framerate dropped from fantastic -> good, or ok... but the visuals are better than i've ever seen on any rig i've had access to, so win there. and my issues seems to have resolved itself, though i can't be quite so sure as it's fairly random, but it does seem to have stopped.

Edited by Invisible Man

Yeah none of these cards ate quite the answer for 4k yet. But i cant speak to much about that because optimizing your loadout and inis is another story that can greatly improve your game.

Id be interested to see what gains you get playing at 1440p if youd care to share. My fps drops by half at 4k, but thats on account of my no holds barred approach for 1080p XD.

I too have also recently switched to nVidia. Couldnt be happier IMO

Before I dropped the refresh rate, and loaded up on enbs, I was getting a solid 60fps, now it's about half that I guess, as I've been having far too much fun to actually look.

Hahaha yeah enb is great, but it kills 4k.

Also, did you set refresh to 30 for smoothness at 30fps or your tv is limited to 30 via hdmi?

according to the settings in my screen resolution panel it can go as high as 80 with the refresh rate, though i'm not crazy enough to even think about trying it (and i happen to like my eyes i don't need them to explode), at a refresh rate of 60 skyrim was still going bonkers, so i dropped it to 30 and it seems to be stable, well mostly. at the moment if i bump the refresh rate back up to 60, i get nearly but not quite 60fps (i guess, as i said i didn't really check to make sure) that is till it decides to drop the fps to like 1 frame every 15 seconds. and that really irks me

Yeah i get that in New Vegas at 4k. It goes great but then bang 1fps for a few seconds. Has its moments at 1440p as well with some shaders so that would seem to be on the gpu side.

But good thing is that your tv can go to 60fps, earlier 4k models were limited to 30. I remember having an argument with a JB hifi store rep after i turned his customers away when i told them that and they had no idea XD