Why are there Daedric Ruins in Vvardenfel?

skullmosher

I never thought to question the existence of Daedric ruins in Vvardenfel, but now that I think about it...

Was there ever a Daedric invasion of which we weren't informed? And shouldn't that whole business with the Amulet of Kings keep Daedra from invading?

I've looked everywhere in the lore and I can't find an answer, so I thought I'd put the question to the community. Anyone care to make up stuff about why there are Daedric ruins in Morrowind?

To paraphrase Abramul's post, the Daedric ruins were in fact built by the Chimer (the ancestors of the Dunmer) to worship their "Daedric" deities (namely the Daedra Princes Azura, Boethia, and Mephala, the so-called "Good Daedra" referenced in some Dunmeri religious books). The Chimer also made pacts with Mehrunes Dagon, Molag Bal, Sheogorath, and Malacath (these are the so-called "Bad Daedra" also referenced in some Dunmeri religious books), which is why you see shrines dedicated to these four Daedra Princes in addition to the three dedicated to Azura, Boethia, and Mephala.

Ah, now I get it. So the Chimer were following Veloth and worshipping Boethia, Azur, and Mephala, plus struck deals with the other four. This would explain why the Chimer weren't popular with the Dwemer, and vice versa. It then eludes my how Nerevar could have ever struck a peace deal with Dumac (IIRC) since the Chimer revered Daedra while the Dwemer were trying to become them.

Thanks for that explanation. I was confused about the different architecture. My only question now would be about all the crazy angles, but I'm sure there is an explanation for it.

Thanks for that explanation. I was confused about the different architecture. My only question now would be about all the crazy angles, but I'm sure there is an explanation for it.

That's probably just thier building style. I'm sure there isn't any lore behind it. The designers at Bethesda probably just wanted something unique.

Look around Kogoruhn for an idea of the architectural ability of the Chimer at the time that the Daedric shrines (they aren't ruins per se, since these are still being used for their intended purpose) were constructed. The Daedra that were the subject of Chimeri affection at the time thought that if this little backwater tribe was going to worship them, any shrines they could build would more-or-less be a mockery of them --- so the Daedric princes served as chief architect and engineer for their shrines, having the Chimer provide the stone and the legwork.

Ah, now I get it. So the Chimer were following Veloth and worshipping Boethia, Azur, and Mephala, plus struck deals with the other four. This would explain why the Chimer weren't popular with the Dwemer, and vice versa. It then eludes my how Nerevar could have ever struck a peace deal with Dumac (IIRC) since the Chimer revered Daedra while the Dwemer were trying to become them.

Actually, the Dwemer weren't actually trying to become Daedra themselves. They did try to make themselves into divine beings, yes, but their attempt failed, and somehow their entire race (both in Morrowind and Hammerfell, with the the exception of Yagrum Bagarn) somehow vanished from Mundus, or the Mortal Plane (Aetherius is something like the Spirit Plane). How this occured is still debated today, but no one will ever know how the Dwemer's demise came about...

The Dwemer had initially fought against the Chimer during the "Velothian" period (when the Chimer first began to settle in Morrowind, then referred to as "Resdayn"), until Nordic settlers began to invade from Solstheim (then belonging to Skyrim, after being conquered some time before their invasion). This is why Indoril Nerevar (king and chieftain of the Chimeri people) and Dumac (king of the Dwemer) formed an alliance, in order to drive out the Nords from Resdayn. This alliance lasted until the "War of the First Council", and ultimately the demise of the Dwemer race.

Actually, the Dwemer weren't actually trying to become Daedra themselves. They did try to make themselves into divine beings, yes, but their attempt failed, and somehow their entire race (both in Morrowind and Hammerfell, with the the exception of Yagrum Bagarn) somehow vanished from Mundus, or the Mortal Plane (Aetherius is something like the Spirit Plane). How this occured is still debated today, but no one will ever know how the Dwemer's demise came about...

Well, not Daedra per se, but divine, yes. Same thing. Azura put paid to them, but good.

There are "Velothi" structures and cities throughout Morrowind which is why I was curious about the admixture of building styles. I had assumed that there had been some sort of Daedric occupation at some point of which there wasn't a record. I see now that this was not the case.

Molag Mar, Vivec, Ghostgate, and the various Temples in the towns and cities use "Velothi" achitecture, but the Great Houses (House Redoran, House Hlaalu, and House Telvanni) each have their own achitecture too. House Hlaalu has houses made from mortar modelled after Egyptian houses, House Redoran lives in the shells of deceased desert creatures, and House Telvanni makes its homes out of the strange towering plant life of the Azura's Coast region.

And because towns like Caldera, Pelagiad, and Ebonheart are Imperial through and through, their houses look more civilized than those of the Dunmer. Dagon Fel and Solstheim are the only places you'll see Nordish architecture, since those places have been occupied by Nord settlers ever since they were driven off by the Chimer and Dwemer before the beginning of the Second Era.

BTW, Mehrunes Dagon did at one point try to invade Morrowind, but Vivec stopped him. It wasn't until the events in Oblivion did Mehrunes try to invade Tamriel.

BTW, Mehrunes Dagon did at one point try to invade Morrowind, but Vivec stopped him. It wasn't until the events in Oblivion did Mehrunes try to invade Tamriel.

You mean Cyrodiil? Tamriel is the name for all the land in this plane.

Archived