Unable to Activate NPCs

ultramarinefox

I am currently doing the Dark Brotherhood questline and got to "Mourning Never Comes" quest. Thanks to the previous posters on the bug discussion, I will be resurrecting Alain Dufont before I start. However, there is an issue I wanted to bring to the table, I am no longer able to "activate" Muiri to initiate a conversation. Is there any reason why this is happening? I note that I cannot activate Bothela, the owner of The Hags Cure either.

As you can imagine it is very frustrating that I cannot continue playing because of this issue. I have ensured that the crosshair is permanently on (Immersive HUD) and yet the NPCs have no names or activators. Have run out of ideas.

Lots of mods running. Here is the full list:-

A Matter of Time
A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - With Roads
Acquisitive Soul Gems - Dawnguard
Alternate Start - Live Another Life
Amazing Follower Tweaks
aMidianBorn Book of Silence
Animated Prostitution
Apachii Sky Hair
Ars Metallica
Atlas Map Markers
Barenziah's Glory
Better Fast Travel
Better Hearthfire Pets
Better Males
Better Stealth AI for Followers
Blackreach Railroad
Blood Barrels Dispense Blood
Book Covers Skyrim
Brawl Bugs Patch
Breezehome Fully Upgradeable
BVFE - Serana and Family
Convenient Horses
Convenient Horses - Faster Sprint
Cutting Room Floor
Derkeethus Improved
Dovahkiin Relaxes Too
Dragon Animation Replace
DragonFire - Tactically Enhanced Breath Shouts
Expanded Winterhold Destruction Ruins
Extended UI
EZ2C Dialogue Menu
Faster Transform To Werewolf and Vampire Lord
FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul
Follower Trap Safety
Glass UI
Glowing Ore Veins 300
Guard Dialogue Overhaul
Harvest Overhaul
Heart of the Beast
Hearthfire - Buy Ingots From Stewards
Hearthfire - Roadside Shrine
Hearthfire Attacks Disabled
Hearthfire Cheat Chests
Hearthfire Coffin Cubby
Hearthfire Display Case Fix
Immersive Armors
Immersive HUD - iHUD
Immersive Player Dialogue
Improved Closefaced Helmets
Inigo
Interesting NPCs
Jaxonz Utilities
JContainers
Ken MOD Lockpick Pro
Legendary Cities TES Arena Skyrim Frontier Fortress
Lore-Based Loading Screens
Masters of Death - Rise of the Brotherhood
MoreHUD
Move It Dammit for NPC Companions and Followers
Multiple Floors Sandboxing
My Home Is Your Home
Player Headtracking
Predator Vision
Ren's HD Shrines
Skyrim Interface Makeover
SkyComplete
Skyrim Community Uncapper
Skyrim Wayshrines - Immersive Fast Travel
SkyUI
SkyUI-Away
Sneak Tools
Some Privacy Please
SOS
Stable uGrids to Load
The Bosmeric Drunken Huntsman
The Dance of Death
TTYM - Think To Yourself Messages
Unofficial Patches for Skyrim, DLCs and High res
Unread Books Glow
Winter Is Coming

I use LOOT for the load order and NMM as my mod manager.

Tou might want to look in tesvedit at those NPC mods andxsee if a mod is overriding them. Dirty edits aka ITM records in mods lower down the list might be interfering with them see. So if you find a mod thats badly overriding, determine if it would be best to remove said mod, place said mod above npc mods or place npc mods below said mod

• 2 weeks later...

Tou might want to look in tesvedit at those NPC mods andxsee if a mod is overriding them. Dirty edits aka ITM records in mods lower down the list might be interfering with them see. So if you find a mod thats badly overriding, determine if it would be best to remove said mod, place said mod above npc mods or place npc mods below said mod

Hello mr, I would like to thank you for your valuable assistance. I will locate and download TESVEdit and do the ITM checks etc. The first thing I tried was to do a clean save, but I ran into a snag. I have no Papyrus logs in my "My Docs/My Games/Skyrim" folder, even though I have the requisite text in the Skyrim.ini file. It is baffling. So in CrushBoss's guide to a clean save I am stuck at no.9 :(

When you get it, go to Skyrim.esm to find those npcs and the actor category, once you click on their record youll see a table with all the mods that touch them on the left. If you find one mod is overriding the one you want to work, you can go to that mod on the right and also click on the actor, then (on the right) right click on the record and select "copy as override" into, then select new file from the bottom of that pop up list. Name the file "my patch" or something. Youve just created your very own patch. You can use this patch again to copy any other records you want to patch. You might also find that you might not need a patch and just a change of load order for that mod will do. Might take a while to get used but you'll get the hang of it. Eventually you'll learn that you can use the left tables to do this too, as gou can also copy as override by right clicking the mod name at the top of the horizontally listed mods from the left pane.

When you get it, go to Skyrim.esm to find those npcs and the actor category, once you click on their record youll see a table with all the mods that touch them on the left. If you find one mod is overriding the one you want to work, you can go to that mod on the right and also click on the actor, then (on the right) right click on the record and select "copy as override" into, then select new file from the bottom of that pop up list. Name the file "my patch" or something. Youve just created your very own patch. You can use this patch again to copy any other records you want to patch. You might also find that you might not need a patch and just a change of load order for that mod will do. Might take a while to get used but you'll get the hang of it. Eventually you'll learn that you can use the left tables to do this too, as gou can also copy as override by right clicking the mod name at the top of the horizontally listed mods from the left pane.

Ooh, I look forward to checking it out, have downloaded TES5Edit this evening and will explore it.

On another branch topic, I discovered how to get the actors to activate again. My PC was wearing the DB Shrouded Armour, and it was affected by a textured armour replacer (Masters of Death); when I took it off and wore my Nightingale Armour I was able to activate Muiri!

Further, not only shall I verify the integrity of my game cache but also use TES5Edit to clean out the right mods and the DLCs.

Ive seen this trend of texture mods causing this, i must research this one. Glad you were able to solve it for now, but you might still load up that texture mod if it has an esp and check it out with tesvedit, you might see the cause.