Quest Items can't be placed/given to Quest object/npc

ElRizzo

Hi,

I have 2 problems that I cannot solve and google hasn't helped so far, so I hope you guys might be able to. I am unable to place the Lexicon during the quest "unfathomable depths" and I also can't give Urag gro-Shub the 4 ancient falmer tomes despite the dialogue option to sell them to him. In the former, I stand infront of the socket where the lexicon needs to be placed but using it does nothing and the lexicon remains in my inventory. In case of the latter, I have the dialogue with Urag and agree to his offer of 1000 septims for each book but the book remains in my inventory and I neither receive any septims from him.

My complete load order looks like this and is sorted by Loot:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
RSkyrimChildren.esm
ImmersiveContent.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
WetandCold.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
Brawl Bugs CE.esp
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Northgirl.esp
Extended UI.esp
FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
Footprints.esp
HelmetToggle2.02b.esp
iHUD.esp
Katarina.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ELFX - Dragonborn.esp
ICROL - Legendary - USKP.esp
ELFX - Dawnguard.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
RSChildren - Complete.esp
RSChildren_PatchUSKP.esp
better_torches_brighter_torchlight.esp
SkyUI.esp
NoAnimalsReportCrimes-DG+DB.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
Braenn.esp
Vivace.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
Brows.esp
LovelyHairstylesCE.esp
TCoW Improvement.esp
Adelaisa.esp
BW Beleval.esp
BW Delphine.esp
BW Eola.esp
BW Illia.esp
BW Ingjard.esp
BW Iona.esp
BW Jenassa.esp
BW Njada Stonearm.esp
BW Ria.esp
Frea.esp
Jordis.esp
Mjoll.esp
Rayya.esp
Uthgerd.esp
Aela.esp
Annekke.esp
BW Lydia.esp
Serana.esp
XPMSE.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
Moss Rocks.esp
Real Roads.esp
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
SMIM-DragonbornTernFix.esp
SMIM-DungeonsCliffsIceSkirts.esp
SMIM-FarmhouseFlickeringFix.esp
SMIM-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp
EpisodeParallax.esp
WondersofWeather.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp
SFO - Dragonborn.esp
SkyFalls Dragonborn Small waterfalls.esp
WATER DG + DB.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Waterfall Effects.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Whiterun Trundra Creeks.esp
SMIM-ShackRoofFixes.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
SMIM-ShackRoofFixesDragonborn.esp
sandboxcylinderheight.esp
SPTConsistentOlderPeople.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation Merged.esp
Lepidoptera Of Skyrim DLC1.esp
RUSTIC SOULGEMS - Unsorted.esp
Bijin Wives.esp
Skyrim Particle Patch for ENB - Flame Atronach Fix.esp
MintyLightningMod_COT_Patch.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
Skysan_ELFX_SMIM_Fix.esp
Supreme Fog - CoT.esp
Insanity's Craftable Dragonbane.esp
Insanity's Dragonbane.esp
TrueStorms.esp
TrueStorms-CoT-WeatherPatch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch_DB.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch_Snow-40.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Sound.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Sound-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
KonahrikEpic.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
DA_Skyship.esp
SofiaFollower.esp
WATER Plants.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
Skyrim_Ice_Shader_Fix.esp
high hrothgar overhaul.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Giant Campfires.esp
DSerHorsesRevamped.esp
TES5Merged.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

Any Idea what might be causing this and how to fix it ? I have already tried to drop the books via console and pick them up again, reloading an older savegame, doing another quest for Urag (shalidor's writings) so it might fix it (without success) and I am running the latest Unofficial patches.

Apart from maybe using console setstage tactic to advance the quest and just giving your self the gold, you might look at tesvedit and see if that quest is being modified by something although i cant see anything on your load order that would.

Well it's not about the gold, I got more than I could ever spend already, since I tend to loot and sell everything I come across :P, but I would like to be able to solve the quests "correctly" you know ? I have no problem advancing a quest a stage via console if it got stuck (done it before several times), but in the case of the falmer tomes it isn't possible, setstage won't help me because there is only one stage other than completing the quest and the same goes for unfathomable depths, I am already at the last stage and finishing it via console feels kinda cheap to me :p

I checked with TES5Edit and everything seems fine, nothing gets altered like you already assumed so that is not the reason. I guess I will have to use setstage and then manually remove the quest items :/

Its a b&@*$ havin to use the console i agree. Maybe you could try some save tricks like going somewhere and setting the stage back to the start and saving, quitting, reopening game and waiting then setstage to where you were again, and going back. Sometimes stuff like this is what the game needs to fire off the data again.

For some reason, something tells me that if you do try the mentioned trick, or similar, that the gamexwill reset the quest items and you may have to "reobtain" them. Or that might be the reason the setstage doesnt work anyway. Anyway thats just a vague memory i have with something i troubleshooted before. Its been a while since i run into quest or script errors XD

Yeah, I decided that it's too much of a hassle to try and fix these two small quests, as it would require too much work and time (as your suggestions imply) so I simply finished them via setstage and removed the quest items afterwards, not my preferred or the most elegant way, but it worked and I can focus on other (working :D) quests now.

Thank you very much nonetheless !, always nice to have another opinion on this and it was worth a shot to ask around if someone might have had a very simple solution at hand ;).

No worries, just try to make the most of the game while it works XD. Hopefully new generation engine with FO4 will iron out all this silly stuff

No worries, just try to make the most of the game while it works XD. Hopefully new generation engine with FO4 will iron out all this silly stuff

I will :) and for the new engine, I really hope they do improve it quite a bit, especially regarding savegames and scripts ^^.