To download NMM or not to download NMM

Moksha8088

To download NMM or not to download NMM, that is the question.

I've put it off. I was thinking of downloading when .60 came out as a matter of habit, but thank goodness I saw the red warning letters. I decided not to download it. I followed along for a while on the forum and have read every update notice up to date. I will still continue to watch and I suspect at some point in the future I may actually download it.

But at what point do I do that? The NMM authors told me in a reply that I would need the latest version of NMM to download Nexus mods for the new Fallout 4 game. That seems like a compelling reason to step up from version .56.1. However, I do not intend to buy Fallout 4 when it first comes out. I think I will wait a few months until several patches are released. Maybe by then the Creation Kit be available and the first mods will come trickling in.

Some will never play Fallout because they are wedded to TES lore or perhaps their parents think Fallout is too violent.

Anyway, I was curious how others are handling the new NMM or waiting. If you have it how do you like it. If you do not have it, what are your plans?

Well i guess the question is really how easy it is going to be to get the xedit and Wrye working with it. Obviously this will take some time to occur given the authors/people experienced with those programs are likely gonna be stuck into the game themselves.

Likely that NMM will be updated before all of these, but then ill be interested to see what mods surface in the pre-CK timeframe.

There is no reason you cannot keep running your old games on the old version ( as long as you don't need the new features) and start using the 0.60.xx when FO4 is out. You can run both versions, just keep them separate. Put the new version in a separate folder, and give the shortcut a new name - such as NMM 60. or whatever you choose. Then manage FO4 with the new, and Skyrim (or whatever you are playing now) using the older version.

All of the problems with the new version are related to converting the old mod file structure to the new file structure. Once the conversion is done it works fine. The NMM converter has problems converting some mods,. and those will have to be reinstalled on the new version. All of the screaming and anguish is mostly from people that instantly panicked when it didn't work instantly like they expected. Then instead of actually READING they started mindlessly deleting things and managed to completely screw up a simple process that is documented on how to recover and go back to the old version. :pinch:

Also, a recent post brings up a problem for people using the obsolete FAT formatted disks - it is just not going to work on those as FAT does not support some of the newer functions (symlinks) used by the V0.60.xx This will affect very few people as FAT was discontinued in windows about 15 years ago although it can still be used for some things such as USB sticks. I know that Win7 can still read and work with the legacy FAT32 hard drives, and I suspect that Win10 can as well

However, BACK UP everything first. Do this whether you plan to upgrade or not. :thumbsup:

Thanks bben46! That is exactly what I did with my install. Now I have two mod manager's installed :) This does prompt a question though... ...how will the Nexus differentiate between both my install's? I kept the old version for my older games and plan to use the new one for new games, respectively. So lets say I want to download a mod through the Nexus Mod Manager button on the mods download page, will it automatically download to the correct version if I choose for that particular version to recognize that game and the other to not?

Thanks in advance,

-ScrollThief

That duel NMM sounds intriguing. Keep the one you know works and role the dice with the other.

Would have assumed that NMM would automatically pick up my Skyrim, FO3 and FNV on precious SSD space. Having the newer NMM 6.20 (?) and a fresh install of FO4 should work fine. NMM is small and I think FO4 will only be a bit over 30GB (small for such a huge game space).

BTW, hope the modding community can assist with enhanced AMD drivers for this NVIDIA tailored game from Bethesda!

Lol i gave up on AMD. I waited for Fury X, I end up with a 980ti. I did really love my 7970ghz but meh Nvidia is pounding them atm.

Lol i gave up on AMD. I waited for Fury X, I end up with a 980ti. I did really love my 7970ghz but meh Nvidia is pounding them atm.

With collaboration for Bethesda, it may help put AMD on the ropes as far as FO4 goes. Everything is okay for Skyrim.

Your system on the other thread looks like you can max everything in any game currently on the market or to be released for the next several years.