Horse Speeds

AurianaValoria1

I mentioned this in the a Skyrim thread, but I wonder if it would be possible in Oblivion. Can horses be made to have different speeds? Maybe make it to where one tap of the forward button results in walking. Two taps equals trotting. Three is a canter, and four is a gallop. Perhaps the gallop could be something like a sprint, and only sustainable for so long before the horse slips back into a canter (maybe dependent on the horse's strength/breed). Slowing down would be accomplished by tapping the backwards button.

I just find it a little odd that there are only two horse speeds in Oblivion.

2 speeds is the basis in Ob. Like the human walk and walkfast.

One could of course easily increase/decrease the speed of those 2 animations (like human run) and make that dependant on something.

The main problem is that you apparently envision different animations, where the horses move differently. Knowing how hard it is to even make a reasonable female walk, I doubt that this can be reasonably done without Motion Capture data (or at least some "anatomy of the horse mopvement").

Bunch of YouTube references. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btwXpdaJj3g&feature=related

Horse gait diagrams with explanations http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/info/gaits.html

Daz3D/Poser rendered animation

so maybe it's do-able after all.

I'd love to see a mod like this, but yes, I am sure it would be a lot of work. The company that made that motion capture video has a demo available on their website for game use of their motion capture. Obviously you couldn't use their data, but I don't suppose it would be wrong to use it as a learning tool to see what would be involved.

You might want to have a look at whatever they do in Two Worlds - that has animations for the player which represent the stages between walk and gallop - that might be a good basis for the "player animations" section. With npc's, it seems to me that you'd only need two speeds unless you start playing about with their AI to introduce more - so a walk and a gallop would be all you'd need.

Thanks for the responses! :biggrin:

I figured it would be pretty difficult. I wish I could do it myself, but I just don't have the skills...not yet, at least.

I was hoping someone who knew how would take interest. Maybe they will. :)