UI Mod Request: Remove key binding restrictions.

redgnom

+1

Right handed but I play with arrow keys (i am 36 so back in the days it was the arrow keys by default)

The problem is it's more complicated than just the numpad.

If you play with arrow keys, you can (and will) accidentally press a dialog option you did not want (since some conversations just pop up while you are still walking).

and you will not be able to move while in dialog or crafting mode.

So we need a way to also rebind the crafting and dialog keys.

Personally I just don't get how a AAA publisher do something like that with such an anticipated title.

This is just a spit to the face of the PC community.

I am really angry. really!

Edited by bezbox

+1 lefty users need this

I extracted "Fallout4 - Interface.ba2" with F4SE for modify controlmap.txt and make numpad and another reserved keys bindable but in FO4 interface ba2 dont have controlmap.txt, only .swf files. Maybe that feature is hardcoded?? It's so sad because many people are lefty and we like/need play with numpad :sad:

Can you confirm me if controlmap.txt is hardcoded and i cant change that feature? Could you help me and another lefty users players to add numpad keybind support? I cant play until numpad will be bindable :S

Tip: Look in "Fallout4 - Miss.ba2" and mainmenu.swf from interface - and you will know how to edit the keys :smile:

Edited by Systek

AHK doesn't fix the problem, it lets you work around *part* of it, at the cost of having to remember to turn it on and off every time you need to type some words or a name.

Also, it can't fix the duplicate or redundant key combos, like Tab, Escape, Enter, or E being used to exit a menu, or Tab being used to store objects and to change menus in the same part of the construction interface.

It just has the smell of a lot of designers who didn't talk to each other.

AHK has its uses and does let you bind the numpad, though (you have to remember to rebind the quick keys as well).

So I did a bit of tinkering to try to figure out a way to mod this, without needing AHK.

First of all, the file "ControlMap_Custom.txt" that people say is gibberish, is not gibberish. It's in a binary format. It has 3 chunks of data, each chunk with bindings (a 4 byte identifier, and 1 byte actual keybind). I was able to change keybindings to the "protected" keys, such as numpad keys, and it works in game but does not override the hard-coded bindings, so the key does multiple things at once.

Second, I tried to find a file in the .ba2 files and found nothing (this is how Skyrim was modded, there was a modifiable .txt file).

So, it looks like they actually HARD CODED those keys into the code. This requires a mod that injects into memory and modifies the values in real time. It may be doable with cheat engine.

As a left handed player the numpad is the most comfortable way to play. Hell even as a right handed player, using wsad you would still have to reach way the hell over to touch numpad if you wanted to keep hand on mouse. It's just my small 2 cents but i'm like wth were you thinking Betha. It's an awful waste of key space just awful..

i just got ahk to work and with that so far it works great. you can acutally now switch to numpad "on" pick a "favorite" then numpad "off" and do the basic wsad movement plus more.

here's my example. just did it tonight:

#IfWinActive, ahk_class Fallout4
; Default controls
NumpadUp::w ; Forward
NumpadClear::s ; Back
NumpadLeft::a ; Strafe Left
NumpadRight::d ; Strafe Right
LButton::LButton ; Attack
RButton::RButton ; Aim/Block
~Alt::Alt ; Bash/Powerattack/Grenade
NumpadIns::e ; Activate
NumpadDiv::r ; Reload