I've found the prob, not the solution (not using ndivia card)

csgators

OK, so after not being able to run FO4 because it crashes when I try to start a new game I realized a few things. It was the Intel driver crashing. I also remembered that a few weeks ago I suddenly couldn't see underwater in Skyrim. So after much installing and uninstalling of drivers to no avail I ran Skyrim from Steam rather than SKSE. It detected settings as low and shows only my Intel card.

The nVidia control panel shows that my nVidea card should be being used but it isn't. I've tried the newest and previous drivers for my card to no avail. Everthing in my system says my NV card is OK and set to work but niether Skyrim or FO4 seem to see it.

Help please!

Edited by csgators

Thanks,

It is a laptop, as I said the NV control panel is already set to use the NV card, I ran the GPU monitor as recommended and it always says NONE.

I've read many threads with this problem through google searching but have yet to find the solution.

OK, so rolling the drivers back a few more versions has fixed Skyrim, now shows my nVidia card and detects HIGH settings. Still no go with FO4, detects low and crashes. Unfortunatly it does not show what cards it sees.

Edit:

further proof FO4 is not seeing my Vidia card

in the SkrimPrefs.ini

sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M "

in the Fallout4Prefs.ini

sD3DDevice="Intel® HD Graphics 4000"

Tried changing the setting and making read only. Didn't work

Edited by csgators

Hi, to avoid this problem, I had to launch the game by its application and not its launcher (I found out that even when you modify your Fallout Prefs to match your Gpu, an auto detect as it happens when you start the launcher resets the file, leading you to using your Intel Driver instead), so to solve the problem, my best guess was to simply skip the launcher.

To do so, first, open your Fallout Prefs wherever it is, change the sd3ddevice line, setting your parameter accordingly to your gpu (for me it's

sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce 610M" ; yeah, you can actually run the game with it ^^), then save and close the file.

Secondly, go to your Fallout 4 folder where the Fallout4 and Fallout4Launcher .exe are located and switch their name (so the game (77 669 Ko), is named Fallout4Launcher ; and its launcher (4 428 Ko), is named Fallout4.

Now, click on the shortcut on your desktop and should play the game directly, skipping the test from the launcher and so letting you use your gaming Gpu.

Side note : You'll have to get your settings right before changing the names of the files as you will not be able to use the configuration tool of the launcher, but even then, you can still tweak your way from the .ini files or from a mod I think I saw on Nexus.

Be careful of the rads :nuke:

... And enjoy the game :laugh: