Improving performance in Fallout 4 for Minimum-Spec Computers

NekoMaster

Shadows kill performance. Turn those down.

Type gr off into the console for a jump in framerate ( turns off god rays )

Theres not really much of a way to kill shadows, other then lowering their render distance and resolution, but then everything looks bright as day and weird.

Also I see no noticable change using "gr off" in Fallout 4.

Consider using http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/332/? <- ENBoost (read everything) it will change some of yours RAM to VRAM (PC RAM to graphics RAM) witch should get You a big boost, because now you are using Your's HDD or SSD as a part of SWAP (virtual memory) witch is slower than RAM speed.

Second thing that You should do is to Defragmented Your's HDD and SSD using 3rd party software like Asulogics Disc Defrag -> http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/ and use some tutorials on how it works.

Try that first and let me know how it worked.

Believe me I'm using 8 years old PC and I'm getting 25-30 FPS in town (open world) 40-60 FPS wen not in town (open world) and 55-60 FPS in buildings with FSP-lock at 60 FPS, therefore i could get more. But I'm still suffer from loading time from HDD SWAP (Virtual RAM) to VRAM (graphics RAM) and in that time I'm can go to make a coffee :P

My current Spec: (Try not to laugh)

Intel Xeon E5420 - 4x2.5 GHz

4GB DDR2 088 MHZ RAM

XFX HD6850 1GB GDDR5 VRAM

2 SATA 1 HDD + 1 PATA HDD

It's a PC worth around 200 $ USD

Consider using http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/332/? <- ENBoost (read everything) it will change some of yours RAM to VRAM (PC RAM to graphics RAM) witch should get You a big boost, because now you are using Your's HDD or SSD as a part of SWAP (virtual memory) witch is slower than RAM speed.

Second thing that You should do is to Defragmented Your's HDD and SSD using 3rd party software like Asulogics Disc Defrag -> http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/ and use some tutorials on how it works.

Believe me I'm using 8 years old PC and I'm getting 25-30 FPS in town (open world) 40-60 FPS wen not in town (open world) and 55-60 FPS in buildings with FSP-lock at 60 FPS, therefore i could get more. But I'm still suffer from loading time from HDD SWAP (Virtual RAM) to VRAM (graphics RAM) and in that time I'm can go to make a coffee :tongue:

4GB DDR2 088 MHZ RAM

I once tried that out too but it didnt do anything.

I got a PC under minimum requirements and can luckily play the game at low and Full HD with 30 FPS or 20 in high populated areas.

Believe me I'm using 8 years old PC and I'm getting 25-30 FPS in town (open world) 40-60 FPS wen not in town (open world) and 55-60 FPS in buildings with FSP-lock at 60 FPS, therefore i could get more. But I'm still suffer from loading time from HDD SWAP (Virtual RAM) to VRAM (graphics RAM) and in that time I'm can go to make a coffee :tongue:

4GB DDR2 088 MHZ RAM

Its a bit tricky to set up. You need Enboost for Fallout 4 (you'll know if you got the right one because it'll have a folder called Patch inside with some dll's and a enboost.ini). Then that link you download the Enboost mod and replace the enboost ini with what ever ini is closest to how much memory you have. I currently have the memory setting set to 8000 because I have 12GB of RAM.

Also, try setting Vsync in enboost on, and Skip = 2, also might be a good idea on a crappy system to cap the FPS to 30 so you don't get huge drop offs from like 40-50 FPS in the begginning or outside, and then drop to below 30 or less.

Right now I actually have my game running well at 1280x720 with some ini tweaks, optimised textures, and enboost for fallout 4. Even indoors in places that use to lag now run at a smooth and constant 30 FPS, hell I can even record video in FRAP's with only 1-2 FPS lost, but still smooth enough that video's look just fine. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen people play games and make video on a crappy stuttering pc.

I think I may know part of my problem with Fallout 4 and other intensive games.... the thermal paste on my Video card was old and dried out and the fans have seized up. Luckily I had some oil and Arctic Cooling thermal paste to fix the problem, and now I notice that my GPU Idle temp's have gone from 75*c to 45*c.... wow, then again I haven't looked inside my PC since last year, not often I mess inside my PC unless I have a new part to put in or a broken part ot take out.

My problem at this time is that i have crappy MainBoard for S775 or just storage controller, because it mostly drain my HDD as VRAM and it do it in very slow motion, so I'm getting freezes while loading graphics for render.

I might change resolution for lower using "Fallout 4 Configuration Tool" but i don't know any lower resolution for 16:10 than 1280 : 800 that will work.

I'm getting those freezes mostly in cities and/or at the beginning of fight with more than 4-5 opponents, probably their movement physics mus be loaded to GPU (Sucks), and sometimes Win7 does something with "svchost" and "performance" that i can't control :(