Barely 3 hours in and I'm thinking of waiting for the mods

vram1974

I'm not trying to hate here but the game feels fairly linear and boring to start off.

It's not like Skyrim where you were introduced to this vast world you could just start exploring. You're kind of corralled to follow this main quest.

Also the crafting is just kind of overwhelming to start off with.

I find myself hoping there's more to it than this.

I could be wrong here (don't actually have the game yet due to R/L issues) but from what I've read so far .. .Seems it's basically an (admittedly largish) DLC for FO:NV.

I'm seriously beginning to think that Bugthesda is going to be hammering out the content DLC's and also relying on mods to fix and improve their game.

It almost seems like FO4 is simply a "sanboxing + framework" for modders.

I could be wrong here (don't actually have the game yet due to R/L issues) but from what I've read so far .. .Seems it's basically an (admittedly largish) DLC for FO:NV.

I'm seriously beginning to think that Bugthesda is going to be hammering out the content DLC's and also relying on mods to fix and improve their game.

It almost seems like FO4 is simply a "sanboxing + framework" for modders.

Well, it would be nice if it were a DLC for FO:NV since I love love love the Mojave Desert. But this is Boston :(

My biggest problem so far is this is all FPS and no RPG and I'm not an FPS fan. I never finished Half Life 2 for that reason and it feels like I'm playing HL2.

Well, yeah, but Big MT wasn't the Mojave, nor was the Sierra Madre, nor the Divide really - nor was Point Lookout or Mother Ship Zeta for that matter :)

But realistically what do we have?

A new map with some new cities and towns = DLC

Some new NPC's and some unique/varied monsters = DLC

One new Main Quest with several side quests = DLC

A few new recipes for crafting shyte = DLC

Some small tweaks and updates to existing game mechanics and game engine = DLC

... Move along nothin' new to see here ...

Supposedly the tortuous updated Perk system and the arguably as torturous crafting/building system along with the equally torturous "barter" system, is what makes it an "RPG" doncha know, at least that's what Bugthesda want you to think anyway.

<removes tinfoil hat with Devils Advocate Logo painted on it in blood>

But then, as I said I haven't played it yet, so I could be wrong, and maybe I'll love it :)

you dont have to follow the fallout main quests, nor is it linear.
there are fractions, radio signals, random encounters, randomly new places with new small quests etc.
actually all stuff that was in before + added thing's that werent existin in fallout 3 & new vegas. they took some stuff from skyrim and build it in.
change your difficulty from very easy to normal or high and it becomes a survival post apocalyptic rpg.

dunno which game you play, but it's not the fallout 4 i'm playing.

Edited by Nero1n

Well, yeah, but Big MT wasn't the Mojave, nor was the Sierra Madre, nor the Divide really - nor was Point Lookout or Mother Ship Zeta for that matter :smile:

Supposedly the tortuous updated Perk system and the arguably as torturous crafting/building system along with the equally torturous "barter" system, is what makes it an "RPG" doncha know, at least that's what Bugthesda want you to think anyway.

But then, as I said I haven't played it yet, so I could be wrong, and maybe I'll love it :smile:

By that logic NV was just a DLC for Fallout 3. More so sense they shared the same engines and mechanics for the most. We're on a new engine with a lot of the mechanics changed.

Well, yeah, but Big MT wasn't the Mojave, nor was the Sierra Madre, nor the Divide really - nor was Point Lookout or Mother Ship Zeta for that matter :smile:

But then, as I said I haven't played it yet, so I could be wrong, and maybe I'll love it :smile:

By that logic NV was just a DLC for Fallout 3. More so sense they shared the same engines and mechanics for the most. We're on a new engine with a lot of the mechanics changed.

You mean it wasn't? I'm sorry, but several 1000's of hours in on FO:3 and FO:NV, and IMHO NV is realistically nothing more than a large DLC for FO:3. Oblivion --> Skyrim can't be argued that that is a "new" game, despite them using the same IP.

FO:3 --> FO:NV = Large DLC ... FO:3/NV --> FO4? ...

you dont have to follow the fallout main quests, nor is it linear.

there are fractions, radio signals, random encounters, randomly new places with new small quests etc.

actually all stuff that was in before + added thing's that werent existin in fallout 3 & new vegas. they took some stuff from skyrim and build it in.

change your difficulty from very easy to normal or high and it becomes a survival post apocalyptic rpg.

dunno which game you play, but it's not the fallout 4 i'm playing.

What did they add that is realy an upgrade? Crafting system? It sucks realy. You need to gather everything, every piece of crap which in the end makes single items worthless. No more joy from finding something cool. What else is new? Oh, yes... You can build a village. Truly a necessary thing for a game which was always about... wanderer.

In return they removed literally everything that made Fallout such legendary franchise: awesome dialogues, skills, perks and traits, actual wasteland.

And that point about changing difficulty... Realy? Changing difficulty makes game RPG?!