Fat Man question

peteed1985

Experimental MIRV mod for the Fat Man is more of a "That's Nice" toy and for some reason you are sitting on tons of Mini-Nukes. Think of the Exp.MIRV as a shorter range grenade launcher than a missile launcher. If you got a wall between you and your enemies and can fire over it, this thing is real nasty in that regard.

The range of Exp.MIRV is short and you have to be very careful in firing it because you can easily nuke yourself. I can throw grenades further than the Exp.MIRV shoots. VATS mode can be treacherous because of this. If the target is of the same elevation or higher than you, you need to fire at a very, very high angle to be safe. The nuke package doesn't arc in the air that long and you need as much height to be safe. If you're at a higher elevation than the target, then it's much easier. All this is why I treat the weapon as a "Manual Fire Only" toy.

Do you need the Exp.MIRV? Not really, especially since it's an endgame weapon. By that time you have lots of options in killing stuff. There's nothing in the game that made me think, "The Experimental MIRV will get me through this, nothing else will." But then again, you can say that about a lot of weapons, even the regular Fat Man.

The damage values don't take into account explosion or radiation damage, only the projectile damage, and in the case of the MIRV, only the damage of the MIRV canister and not the individual explosives. For the explosions, each of the MIRV explosions deals the same damage as a single fatman, with slightly less radius and lower force.

For Bethsoft games, you can't trust ingame numbers to tell you everything.

The thing about a MIRV was/is that it uses about the same volume and lift as a solitary device. The only way that you can accomplish that is to subdivide the solitary warhead into smaller packages. The benefit of this approach is entirely conservative in nature. With ONE warhead, you either hit, get close, or entirely miss the intended target. With a MIRV approach, the target area is blanketed by smaller nukes. It pretty much guarantees that at least some of the payload will be inflicting a LOT of damage. Probably not as much as if the ONE warhead was smack on target, but a heckuva lot more than if it had been a clean miss.

[Historically, the MIRV was of enormous interest to the USSR because it knew its guidance systems truly sucked. So there was a big push to MIRV-anate the USSR's ICBMs.]