Weapon modification: bugs, quirks and questions

Revolvist

The weapon mod system in Fallout 4 is a huge step up from previous titles, but there are quite a few things that seems strange or outright bugged. I'll try to explain what I mean, in the hope that you guys can shed some light on this pretty complicated system.

1. The Accuracy stat: what does it display, sighted or hip-fire accuracy? A combination of both? From what I've seen, it is probably a combination of both. Adding mods that improve hip-fire accuracy improves Accuracy, and adding mods that improve sighted accuracy do so likewise.

This would make Accuracy a pretty unreliable stat. If this is the case I really hope a mod comes out that separates the two accuracies UI-wise.

Another option is that there is a main Accuracy stat, but that it's only influenced by the two sighted and hip-fire stats. Which would mean we're dealing with three stats, instead of a combination of two.

2. I'm positive that recoil influences Accuracy as well. Just compare a laser gun's long barrel with its automatic barrel. The accuracy description's exactly the same, yet the automatic barrel is less accurate.

3. Sometimes I get the idea that a mod's stats just don't reflect its description. This might be just me being confused, and I can't find any examples at the moment, but I'm pretty sure there are some description typos.

4. What is 'better focus'? It describes the reflex sight.

So, that's it for now. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Additions?

Edited by Revolvist

The weapon mod system in Fallout 4 is a huge step up from previous titles, but there are quite a few things that seems strange or outright bugged. I'll try to explain what I mean, in the hope that you guys can shed some light on this pretty complicated system.

1. The Accuracy stat: what does it display, sighted or hip-fire accuracy? A combination of both? From what I've seen, it is probably a combination of both. Adding mods that improve hip-fire accuracy improves Accuracy, and adding mods that improve sighted accuracy do so likewise.

This would make Accuracy a pretty unreliable stat. If this is the case I really hope a mod comes out that separates the two accuracies UI-wise.

Another option is that there is a main Accuracy stat, but that it's only influenced by the two sighted and hip-fire stats. Which would mean we're dealing with three stats, instead of a combination of two.

2. I'm positive that recoil influences Accuracy as well. Just compare a laser gun's long barrel with its automatic barrel. The accuracy description's exactly the same, yet the automatic barrel is less accurate.

3. Sometimes I get the idea that a mod's stats just don't reflect its description. This might be just me being confused, and I can't find any examples at the moment, but I'm pretty sure there are some description typos.

4. What is 'better focus'? It describes the reflex sight.

So, that's it for now. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Additions?

From my own observations, the difference between sighted and hip-fire depends greatly on the weapon itself. Generally though, when using sights or hip-fire with a low recoil weapon means better accuracy and being able to hit a target with multiple shots repeatedly. For scoped or sighted, it seems to treat the accuracy increase only when using the scope or sights. Meaning that essentially, any of the better sights tends to add between 10-30 accuracy, but only when looking down the sights.

Focus related so when you're looking down the sights and press alt to hold your breath to get a more steady shot.

Really, I wouldn't get so bent out of shape over stats. More expensive parts are generally better for most guns, and with the exception of the pipe rifles and combat rifle, most others have only singular usage. Late game you'll probably be using an assault rifle for most your automatic needs, standard combat rifle for weaker enemies, plasma rifle for sniping, and gauss rifle for anything that can't be killed easily.

I ran into bug trying to mod one of my guns not so long ago, when i tried to apply specific upgrade to a specific weapon part and the window showed up showing all the components and to confirm the action and everything was fine, but when i did, i discovered that upgrade did not apply and eat all of my components, so i had to gather them all again and apply it once more!...did anyone else had this happen?

From my own observations, the difference between sighted and hip-fire depends greatly on the weapon itself. Generally though, when using sights or hip-fire with a low recoil weapon means better accuracy and being able to hit a target with multiple shots repeatedly. For scoped or sighted, it seems to treat the accuracy increase only when using the scope or sights. Meaning that essentially, any of the better sights tends to add between 10-30 accuracy, but only when looking down the sights.

Focus related so when you're looking down the sights and press alt to hold your breath to get a more steady shot.

Really, I wouldn't get so bent out of shape over stats. More expensive parts are generally better for most guns, and with the exception of the pipe rifles and combat rifle, most others have only singular usage. Late game you'll probably be using an assault rifle for most your automatic needs, standard combat rifle for weaker enemies, plasma rifle for sniping, and gauss rifle for anything that can't be killed easily.

Yeah it's not extremely important, but they did put a lot of emphasis on the mod system. I'm still playing around with laser and pipe guns myself and I love how modifiable they are. If you want to transfer your Righteous Authority into either a long-range sniper rifle or a short-range hip-pistol, though, it's important that mod stats are clearly laid out. At least I think so.

Those text descriptions kind of bug me too. Just give me numbers, much easier to compare.

I think I'll be trying to make some changes as soon as the G.E.C.K. comes out. Unless I stumble across some other tool in the meantime.

I ran into bug trying to mod one of my guns not so long ago, when i tried to apply specific upgrade to a specific weapon part and the window showed up showing all the components and to confirm the action and everything was fine, but when i did, i discovered that upgrade did not apply and eat all of my components, so i had to gather them all again and apply it once more!...did anyone else had this happen?

I haven't had this myself, perhaps you should report this here: forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3373215-bug-list-if-you-find-bugs-post-them-here/

Edited by Revolvist