Sniper issues,

nightangelhardy

• 3 weeks later...

The range stat is a pretty crappy design currently, for V.A.T.S. or real time. It is possible to edit the range values of weapon mods, but in my testing, it doesn't seem to work 100% as I'd like. I've messed around with the stat on shotguns a bit and it seems to affect the drop off range to a degree, but there's a very obvious damage reduction after a certain distance, regardless of what I range I set. I'll keep poking around in FO4Edit, but it may require the editor to fully fix the problem.

Edit: Okay, so I messed around a bit more and it does seem like it's fixable with the current tools. I went in and just doubled all of the range values (keeping mod variation, but everything is higher) and it definitely seemed to make a difference. It takes some time to do and it would certainly conflict with some other mods that directly edit weapon mods, but it's definitely something that can be done if people want it.

This is, of course, assuming you mean the range stat and not the V.A.T.S. lock on distance range. If that's your issue, there are 3-4 mods already out that extend the V.A.T.S. range and other various optional tweaks.

Edited by Maleficus04

The range stat is a pretty crappy design currently, for V.A.T.S. or real time. It is possible to edit the range values of weapon mods, but in my testing, it doesn't seem to work 100% as I'd like. I've messed around with the stat on shotguns a bit and it seems to affect the drop off range to a degree, but there's a very obvious damage reduction after a certain distance, regardless of what I range I set. I'll keep poking around in FO4Edit, but it may require the editor to fully fix the problem.

Edit: Okay, so I messed around a bit more and it does seem like it's fixable with the current tools. I went in and just doubled all of the range values (keeping mod variation, but everything is higher) and it definitely seemed to make a difference. It takes some time to do and it would certainly conflict with some other mods that directly edit weapon mods, but it's definitely something that can be done if people want it.

This is, of course, assuming you mean the range stat and not the V.A.T.S. lock on distance range. If that's your issue, there are 3-4 mods already out that extend the V.A.T.S. range and other various optional tweaks.

What was your range on the weapons?

I had my edited to about 500, and it still didn't make a difference.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm240/voodoo3dfx/ScreenShot5_zps4juce8wu.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm240/voodoo3dfx/ScreenShot3_zpse9efiz0t.jpg

Well, first off. I didn't try to snipe from quite that far and, unfortunately, there are issue beyond the range system that could come into play at that range. Like invisible hit boxes blocking a shot. But a fully modded sniper would've been about the same range you had on yours.

Were you getting hit markers from your shots or did it seem like the bullet just wasn't making it?

Either way, I'll do some tests from extreme ranges later on, but it'll won't be until later on in the evening.

Well, first off. I didn't try to snipe from quite that far and, unfortunately, there are issue beyond the range system that could come into play at that range. Like invisible hit boxes blocking a shot. But a fully modded sniper would've been about the same range you had on yours.

Were you getting hit markers from your shots or did it seem like the bullet just wasn't making it?

Either way, I'll do some tests from extreme ranges later on, but it'll won't be until later on in the evening.

I found that the range of the gun (215 for hunting rifle) has no impact on shooting outside of VATS.

No hit markers, and the target didn't even realize he was being shot at. As you said, there is more going on than just the range of the firearm.

I found that the range of the gun (215 for hunting rifle) has no impact on shooting outside of VATS.

No hit markers, and the target didn't even realize he was being shot at. As you said, there is more going on than just the range of the firearm.

Yeah, that's what I figured. My main issue was actually getting hit markers at longer ranges, but having them do 0 damage and the npc also not even realizing they were being shot. I guess the range you were at was past that even. I'm sure someone will make a fix for there being a range where bullets just disappear. Until then, I do believe the ranges where you can still get a hit marker are indeed affected by the range stat, in terms of damage drop off.

Yeah, that's what I figured. My main issue was actually getting hit markers at longer ranges, but having them do 0 damage and the npc also not even realizing they were being shot. I guess the range you were at was past that even. I'm sure someone will make a fix for there being a range where bullets just disappear. Until then, I do believe the ranges where you can still get a hit marker are indeed affected by the range stat, in terms of damage drop off.

Any clue on what that actual range is? And where it might be set?

The range at which bullets magically disappear? I haven't the slightest idea, unfortunately. I definitely remember it being an issue in previous games, but I don't remember what game settings affect it. Pretty sure it was an issue in skyrim as well, so there may be similar tweaks that can be done for Fallout 4. Aside from that, I'm not sure what can be done until the editor is out.