can't make player fall after .MoveTo top of deep pit

caramellcube

Hi, this is probably simple but I can't find anything that works. I have a script in Fallout 3 that teleports a player character to the top of a deep pit using Player.MoveTo. The PC arrives in mid air just as expected, but doesn't drop. Instead, they simply stand there unsupported until attempting to walk away. I thought using player.pushactoraway player 5 might work, and it does cause the PC to drop down the pit, but the camera stays at the top, then a few seconds later the PC stands back up again, still at the top. Is there a hard limit to the game where it only ever checks gravity when the movement keys are pressed, or is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

What kind of object is the destination of the moveto function? I haven't seen this exact behavior, but I have seen something similar with setpos, where a REF's physics don't update until something interacts with it after it is moved. Anyway, you could try making the moveto target an object with collision data, and that might force havoc to update the physics.

It's an XMarker, surrounded by a cubic activator. I could try putting a small object close enough that the player would bump into it on appearing, maybe a movable item... come to think of it, a bunch of movable bones and a small push explosion spawning at the XMarker at the same time as the player would add some atmosphere to the scene. Thanks, I'll try that out and post back :)

Just tested this and it seems a bit too unreliable. Sometimes the PC would arrive at the bottom of the pit instead of the top, or just stand there in mid air, sometimes it seemed to work, but I think I'll just change the layout so the teleport script isn't needed (I was trying to split a deep well in half to stop the cell getting too vertical). Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the exact same problem. Fixed it by forcing the player to fall off a tiny ledge, blocked from escape by an invisible barrier. Or, if they fail to jump, pushing them with an actor with a gun that applies the push modifier.