Overhauled Raiders of the Commonwealth (ORC) Discussion Thread

Indigoblade

What I thought was lacking that New Vegas tried to address was the idea of Raider "culture"

You had the Fiends, a raider clan, and they could be talked to on some missions, even made passive in certain areas. Though having that level of interaction might be overkill, I'd at least like to see different factions for raiders, vying for power, feuding with each other. It doesn't really make sense that there are just "raiders" everywhere that don't create an identity for themselves. Maybe it could be as simple as adding a prefix raider name to raiders depending on region where they spawn?

I'd have to see through the new CK but in from past experiences and from what I have saw through FO4Edit, I would have to recreate the area spawns, behaviors, and such for each raider location. That would be long project to do since there are tons of Raider locations already and they are densely populated all around. The Forged has its own lvl list, cell locations, patrol routes, spawn settings. I would have to at least match that for every Raider gang. Don't get me wrong I would like to do that, but it doesn't seem to be a project I can do efficiently on my own.

Hey, this looks like a really interesting mod. Having raider gangs sounds fantastic, (It would be great to indicate these by having gang colours for the armour and bandannas) however forgive me for saying that I don't really like your concept of the raider "classes" as it doesn't seem very natural to me. What would, as others have said, really up the effectiveness of raiders is boosting the AI. It would also be fantastic to see some sort of moral system in place, the raiders running after taking damage or seeing comrades die.

It's fine if you don't like/do like the mod idea, it does sound a bit weird that the unruly bunch like the Raiders would have specializations and such. But within the games files, Raiders are already classified as Power Armor, Auto, Revolver, Fatman, Melee, Bolt Action, Boss, Dog, Fatman Power Armor, and Grenade. The game already is set to classify Raider types that you see in the game. Now to actually show it in game so that you can see the different classes is a completely different matter. Personally, I like the different names. It gives me a second to think about what this name means to me and what the enemy would do.

As for an AI overhaul, I would also consider it after I get all the classes done. If someone else gets to it first, I'd also consider integrating with my mod if I enjoy it enough

What i am lersonally most looking for is just more spawn nodes for raiders (and gunners, ghouls and super mutants). Spawn nodes everywhere than has a probability of spawning entities.

Random encounter mods, to me, are really important. Without them roaming the outdoors is boring and predictable. Every tome i go through an area i know its either empty or populated with the exact enemies i killed before.

I wish for a mod that in between these scripted areas will spawn groups of raiders (they make rhe most sense to be practically everywhere) that will surprise me.

A superb Random encounters mod was for skyrim where about 150 new spawn nodes were placed outdoors and via a menu you could toggle what NPCs would spawn and what is the likelyhood of a spawn to uccor. Beat mod ever. Once i installed it i rarely fast travelled because if i would FT than i would miss the fun things that could happen when i travel.

This kind of mod for FO4 is my second dream mod.

(The first is a way to toggle the camera between over the right and left shoulder in 3rd person) :-P

What i am lersonally most looking for is just more spawn nodes for raiders (and gunners, ghouls and super mutants). Spawn nodes everywhere than has a probability of spawning entities.

Random encounter mods, to me, are really important. Without them roaming the outdoors is boring and predictable. Every tome i go through an area i know its either empty or populated with the exact enemies i killed before.

I wish for a mod that in between these scripted areas will spawn groups of raiders (they make rhe most sense to be practically everywhere) that will surprise me.

A superb Random encounters mod was for skyrim where about 150 new spawn nodes were placed outdoors and via a menu you could toggle what NPCs would spawn and what is the likelyhood of a spawn to uccor. Beat mod ever. Once i installed it i rarely fast travelled because if i would FT than i would miss the fun things that could happen when i travel.

This kind of mod for FO4 is my second dream mod.

(The first is a way to toggle the camera between over the right and left shoulder in 3rd person) :-P

I used to do this for my OBIS mod where I had created new spawn points for bandits in a supplement mod, while a friend of mine created a system that spawns bandits using a semi sophisticated system. If you are familiar with our work, me and Tonycube2, I hope to at least match features from OBIS.

I think i had OBIS for skyrim...

Cant recall specifically. Was long time ago. Me old.

But new spawn nodes are a must, IMO, because the point is to have NPCs where currently there are none. In between action pockets. Free roaming the world.

So manual travelling is fun and surprising.

Crossing fingers that a mod like this, by your hands or someone elses, will emerge sooner than later.

And hopefully the official tools will appear soon!!

I cant wait for scripted mods. I feel like the modders kinda reached the ceilling of whats possible with FO4edit since no new mod concepts appeared in over a week.

• 1 month later...

I had this Boss Idea while reading previous posts in this thread:

Ivan Bear-Fist: Tough muscular brawler of Russian descent that wrestled a female Yao Guai into Submission, which is now loyal to him and fights along side him. She could be called Olga. He uses his fists, should probably have really high strength and endurance, and is always accompanied by Olga the Yao Guai.

What do you think? Is it doable?

I think somethings that would make raiders a lot more interesting and capable, might be to...

-Raid things, competently. Not just your settlements, but other locations, factions, and caravans. Also If for example, settlers were mortal, turrets a lot harder to rely on for defense (possibly being much more expensive to make), and when raiders hit, they hit in force, they would feel like a more competent enemy that deserve a beatdown. As is, I feel kinda sorry for them, as all too often the game simply encourages you to mow them down unprovoked simply for being in the way to some other objective.

-Weaker Raiders make use of zerg tactics to overcome individual weakness. Quantity being a quality all its own. Right now you mostly fight raiders in dribs and drabs, rarely do you come across mobs. And mobs are a good way to put a nice dose of serious business into a raider gang.

-Non-hostile interactions with raiders. They may be thieving murderous drug addicted predatory psychopaths, but its not really conducive to survival of any predator to waste energy attacking every living thing all the time, nobody has time for that, and its not vary profitable, stable,or sustainable long term. It might be more useful to sell stolen goods, trade for drugs, demand tolls, take on merc work and such. Like, If you don't pose a threat, (or maybe too much of a threat) and can offer them something, maybe you can freely hang out among the less overtly murdery encampments, and watch em eat, sleep, talk, get drunk or high or whatever they do.

-Neutral Survivor bands that share Raider equipment profiles. Muddy the waters a bit. As i doubt everyone that decides to cobble together their own equipment out of scrap is automatically a bad guy. There's no reason why you wouldn't have groups of scattered survivors using home made weapons and armor in a purely defensive capacity.

I think i had OBIS for skyrim...

Cant recall specifically. Was long time ago. Me old.

But new spawn nodes are a must, IMO, because the point is to have NPCs where currently there are none. In between action pockets. Free roaming the world.

So manual travelling is fun and surprising.

Crossing fingers that a mod like this, by your hands or someone elses, will emerge sooner than later.

And hopefully the official tools will appear soon!!

I cant wait for scripted mods. I feel like the modders kinda reached the ceilling of whats possible with FO4edit since no new mod concepts appeared in over a week.

New points points would be nice, I'll probably make that separate function from the main mod though, would like to keep it script free as possible

I had this Boss Idea while reading previous posts in this thread:

Ivan Bear-Fist: Tough muscular brawler of Russian descent that wrestled a female Yao Guai into Submission, which is now loyal to him and fights along side him. She could be called Olga. He uses his fists, should probably have really high strength and endurance, and is always accompanied by Olga the Yao Guai.

What do you think? Is it doable?

I can definitely make the human but IDK if can make the combo work permanently

I think somethings that would make raiders a lot more interesting and capable, might be to...

-Raid things, competently. Not just your settlements, but other locations, factions, and caravans. Also If for example, settlers were mortal, turrets a lot harder to rely on for defense (possibly being much more expensive to make), and when raiders hit, they hit in force, they would feel like a more competent enemy that deserve a beatdown. As is, I feel kinda sorry for them, as all too often the game simply encourages you to mow them down unprovoked simply for being in the way to some other objective.

-Weaker Raiders make use of zerg tactics to overcome individual weakness. Quantity being a quality all its own. Right now you mostly fight raiders in dribs and drabs, rarely do you come across mobs. And mobs are a good way to put a nice dose of serious business into a raider gang.

-Non-hostile interactions with raiders. They may be thieving murderous drug addicted predatory psychopaths, but its not really conducive to survival of any predator to waste energy attacking every living thing all the time, nobody has time for that, and its not vary profitable, stable,or sustainable long term. It might be more useful to sell stolen goods, trade for drugs, demand tolls, take on merc work and such. Like, If you don't pose a threat, (or maybe too much of a threat) and can offer them something, maybe you can freely hang out among the less overtly murdery encampments, and watch em eat, sleep, talk, get drunk or high or whatever they do.

-Neutral Survivor bands that share Raider equipment profiles. Muddy the waters a bit. As i doubt everyone that decides to cobble together their own equipment out of scrap is automatically a bad guy. There's no reason why you wouldn't have groups of scattered survivors using home made weapons and armor in a purely defensive capacity.

Depends on how the mod goes and the way I see the encounters

if you get this mod going id love to make a compatability patch http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9103/? it seems we have like-minded goals

Sure

Might be neat to get a bit of "The Warriors" vibe and give some of the raider factions a unified look.

Focusing in more classes than factions